Carrying at work...and you're a school superintendent

This is a discussion on Carrying at work...and you're a school superintendent within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sometimes laws get ignored to get them changed....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Carrying at work...and you're a school superintendent

Sometimes laws get ignored to get them changed.
    gigamortis and BenGoodLuck like this.

2. Remove Ads

I read about a couple of school districts in Texas, that allow their teachers to carry at school. There have been no issues.

We can carry in schools here if we have a CC license ... unless they are posted with the AG's signage. The school district we are in, they are NOT posted. Teachers could carry here and be OK ... legally (not a crime). Not sure how they would do as far as keeping their jobs if the school district knew about it, but .... if it's concealed... it's concealed.

The fact there are SO's in schools, says the sheep thought they were necessary for safety and protection, so why not the teachers as well ? Why did they draw the line there ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

he should move to utah :) get a CCP and it's all legal, in fact, it would be illegal to ask him not too, or to fire him for it.

Would a teacher caught carrying in that same district have received similar treatment?
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

VIP Member
    If a person has a concealed handgun license, they should be allowed to carry everywhere. Posting a sign prohibiting handguns or not allowing law-abiding citizens to carry in certain places means one thing - criminals will be the only ones armed in those places. Hopefully, cases like this one will show the stupidity of prohibiting legally licensed people from carrying in certain locations. I've decided to get active in Texas to change the laws that prohibit us from carrying in certain places. If a company, school, or hospital wants to post a 30.06 sign, then they should also be required to provide armed guards and metal detectors at every entrance to their property. I also want the state to eliminate any exception to our concealed carry permit, such as polling places, sports venues and courts.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I don't like the gray area... so it's only illegal sometimes, or when they want it to be? Just remove the law, change it, or enforce it...

From the last paragraph in the article....
    “He was in the wrong, and he should be punished,” Pitts said. “You don’t forget there’s a gun on your hip. I don’t carry my gun anywhere I’m not supposed to. His punishment needs to be more than a fine; he should also serve some community service.”
    He does the community a service by carrying, he does the community a service by being a school superintendent who might be able to defend his students someday....
    mprp likes this.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    From the last paragraph in the article....

He does the community a service by carrying, he does the community a service by being a school superintendent who might be able to defend his students someday....
    I wish this way of thinking was more common.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    Hope he loses his permit. People just can't go around acting like obama and just ignore laws.
    I agree with the sentiment about Obama, but I am torn as to wether he should be punished for knowingly breaking the law, or commended for acting on his responsibility to protect the children that are his responsibility.

On another note, I was under the impression there were federal laws against carrying firearms at primary and secondary schools. Could the feds not have pressed charges under the GFSZA?

---------------------
    Edit: Nevermind, I forgot he had a permit, as long as it was issued by that state, I guess he is ok federally.
    Last edited by BigStick; June 28th, 2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Brain Fart
    Walk softly ...

States can override the GFSZ.

The initial bill did not allow for that, and was struck down by the Supreme Court as being unconstitutional for violating the states 2A rights. So they made a minor change to the law and passed it alomost verbatim with a few new words.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links