Is Violence A Disease?

Is Violence A Disease?

This is a discussion on Is Violence A Disease? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Dr. Gary Slutkin, CeaseFire founder and University of Illinois/Chicago epidemiologist thinks so and he has convinced Chicago Police (or at least their political bosses) enough ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Is Violence A Disease?

Is Violence A Disease?

Dr. Gary Slutkin, CeaseFire founder and University of Illinois/Chicago epidemiologist thinks so and he has convinced Chicago Police (or at least their political bosses) enough to give it a try. I'm afraid that with quotes like: “Violence has been misunderstood” he would have a hard time convincing me. I think understand more about violence than I care to know. Personally I regard violence as a decision rather than a disease but perhaps I should let the good Doctor build his case.

Chicago police to partner with anti-violence group CeaseFire to curb shootings - U.S. News

CeaseFire - The Campaign to Stop the Shooting

Apparently this approach has some success. What do you think?

VIP Member
    "Life is violent and violent is life. Peace is a dream, reality is a knife." Ice T

There are always weak and always strong. There are haves and have nots. No matter what the kind doctor thinks there will be people who choose violence. It is our nature at it's core.
    Bark'n and Spirit51 like this.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Sounds like another liberal nut job trying to put the blame where it has no business being put. Its somebody elses fault. The devil made them do it maybe.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I believe that the issue of "Violence" is incredibly complex.

If, (and it is a BIG 'if') some aspects of violence can be successfully addressed from a novel approach, then I'm all for it--I deal consistetnly with people who have been the first-hand receipients of personal violence. However, don't anybody hold their breath waiting for me to disarm myself or my family anytime soon.......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Haha, no, I don't think violence is a disease. It's a choice like everything else. It seems to me that this program is simply trying to do the job that the parents failed.

"From an eight-member team, four work as street-outreach counselors, trying to get the people most at risk of committing violence to change their focus, perhaps toward getting a GED or job, she told msnbc.com.

“Street outreach is incredibly important, knowing the players and how to persuade them to make better choices,” Ellenbrogen said."

I would think it is better to take care of things from the core, but how do you make people be responsible parents? Our society certainly isn't set up for that these days. So while I think this may be an admirable program, I can't imagine it would be effective in the long run.

Chicago, eh? Isn't that the same place so full of folks who think creating unarmed victims helps reduce the number of victims??

Seems to me that calling it a disease is about as productive as Sandusky attempting to absolve himself of his pedophilia crimes by claiming he's got a deep-seated need for attention (histrionic personality trait ).

IMO, violence isn't hardly a disease. It's environmental, a response to conditions and conditioning. Two to three generations of sparing the rod and spoiling/ignoring the child has largely gotten us here, IMO, leaving us with many of the current crop of parents who are simply not equipped to pass on appropriate lessons and skills.

That said, if effective means of correcting the problems before it leads to violence can be found, I'm all for it.
    Bark'n and Spirit51 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    Sounds like another liberal nut job trying to put the blame where it has no business being put. Its somebody elses fault. The devil made them do it maybe.
    Well, at least his in the right spot!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Scientists convinced that healthy living is an abnormality

Obama administration pushes Congress to fund further research.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member
    Is it a disease? Well, yes and no.

It is a disease in that it can be contagious. Exposure to violence can breed propensity for violence. Perhaps, it's more of a virus in that way...

What it isn't, is an excuse. There is no "it's not my fault, I have a disease". It's still a choice.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Dr. Gary Slutkin, CeaseFire founder and University of Illinois/Chicago epidemiologist...
    Well theres your answer to why he came up with this study...
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

In some States they have a very effective vaccine that helps prevent the spread of this disease. Kills both the disease and the patient.

Michael

Hubris.
    atctimmy likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Sounds like another charlatan running a scam on the city.

The new funding will boost the number of CeaseFire program workers in Chicago to about 140, up from 100, Dr. Gary Slutkin, CeaseFire founder, told msnbc.com.
    Yup. Chicago tax money at work.

Senior Moderator
    I think that Dr's trying to push violence due to social and moral irresponsibility and calling it a "disease" is a disease.

It could be one of two things that cause this disease.

One, is that the poor shmuck with the title "Dr" after his name really is stupid enough to beleive that violence, which is nothing more than a choice, is a actually a disease because he slept in class or perhaps was the dumbest one there.

Two, it could be that he is attempting to do nothing more than get funding from our totally corrupt and inept government and he will actually get several million dollars from a grant that he will spend time and reasearch on from his lounge chair on the seashore somewhere in the Bahama's while sipping Margaritas and watching scantily clad women walk by, which might indicate that he isnt is dumb as he sounds.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Violence is as much of a disease as stupidity is and it seems that often, the two are related.

Perhaps if he could invent some sort of inoculation to prevent either one, he could become a household word and secure his place in history, not to mention become rich. For some reason though, I dont see that happening here...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links