Bad: Kids at home

This is a discussion on Bad: Kids at home within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Okay, we heard about the 14 year old who shot one of the home invaders, saving his siblings from harm... In the last week, there ...

Thread: Bad: Kids at home

Okay, we heard about the 14 year old who shot one of the home invaders, saving his siblings from harm...

In the last week, there have been 4 home invasions where kids were at home alone (in Florida). Not every 14 or 15 year old is capable of fending off invaders with a gun...

Story here
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

WOW, I will never leave my kid at home alone, that's ridiculous

It's really a tough spot to be in I guess when the kids are old enough to take care of themselves yet aren't quite old enough to own a firearm legally. If one does leave their kid at home with an accessible firearm then society seems to frown upon it especially if something bad happens. And the laws are written to punish the legal guardians when such things happen. Yet if the kid defends him/herself then we hear about what great news it is and how lucky they are to have had a firearm to defend themselves with. It's a very weird, grey area that the solution seems to be either allow them to have a firearm if they are old enough to "babysit" themselves, or have to find a daycare for them until they are 18. Neither is a realistic solution though.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Safe room,and it's proper usage,our home has one and it's concrete block,filled with cement and rebar,with a steel door,that has a scedule 40 3x3 steel bar that can baracade it from the inside.There is a sink in it,Fire ext,some energy bars, a pre-paid cell,and of course a slew of weapons.

At 12 years old I had access to my dads firearms and had shot all of 'em by then. I was also looking after/babysitting my younger siblings as well.
    It was a diffrent time then but having earned my fathers trust there was no issue and I NEVER did anything stupid to break that trust....... I liked being trusted.

If, as a parent, you teach your kids about your guns and remove the taboo then these young'uns might suprise ya.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

We rarely leave our 15 year old at home. She has been trained with all of the firearms in the house. May God have mercy on an intruder, she will not.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Say what you want but when someone breaks in and panic sets in its hard to say what they will do. The best thing is to do drills so it becomes second nature to them and set up a safe/ panic room

Sponsored Links