Stupid is once again an effective teacher

This is a discussion on Stupid is once again an effective teacher within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Excellent post, Dandyone. Thank you!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Stupid is once again an effective teacher

Excellent post, Dandyone. Thank you!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Dandyone: Yep--sounds pretty familiar, though I thought I was fairly safe in the way I approached climbing the major peaks of Oregon and Wash. I still remember laying in my sleeping bag in my buddy's tent, at 17,200' on Denali, in the throes of HACE and asking myself if climbing this mountain was worth dying for---it wasn't.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

haaa.....dark subject, funny post. 50/50? I had a Para that could've been said about.

I did some stuff that seemed a little risky and could have caused a possible broken bone or two,but the thought of pointing a loaded gun at myself and pulling the trigger never ever seemed like a good idea to prove how tough I was.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    They didn't realize you don't put 6 bullets in a 6 shot revolver, and then begin playing Russian roulette ? Did he forget to spin the cylinder, or just the unlucky one to find out that every shot counts ??

Society needs bad examples .... it's just too bad some people want to be first in that line.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    a psychologist friend of mine put it this way: "young and stupid are one word". very very sad.
    mkh likes this.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    At least use a Hi-Point so its a 50/50 chance of it going bang.
    Hi Points are fairly reliable. Maybe a Jennings or Jiminez.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Stupid games get you stupid prizes!

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I did some stuff that seemed a little risky and could have caused a possible broken bone or two,but the thought of pointing a loaded gun at myself and pulling the trigger never ever seemed like a good idea to prove how tough I was.
    Some think mountain climbing is stupid. Others think the risk is worth it for them. Same goes for bull riding diving with sharks or base jumping.
    We all have different degrees of risk that we find acceptable. What these kids did seems stupid to me. On the same note those with less risk tolerance than me will consider what I do as stupid.

Michael

Dumb. But still sad and tragic for the family. My heart goes out to them.

As an addition to something that has already been touched on: I have a daughter who is 9. When she is around boys of the same age, I can see how much of a maturity difference there already is between them. Sometimes it's staggering to watch.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

Condolences to the family. Can't be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    Surrounded by teenage friends on the back porch of his house ...

And friends who now dedicated Web posts to his memory struggled to reconcile how the teen with a bright smile and happy demeanor could be dead.
    There with him, like as not encouraged each other to participate, watched it happen, and they're still struggling with the concept of how he could be dead.

Sounds like an improved set of friends might have done him some good. Then again, perhaps not even that would have 'cured' him of the urge.

"Play stupid games / Win stupid prizes" pretty much sums it up.

As for the "how" question, it's a simple if/then problem: if you fire a bullet into your head, then there's every chance it'll have an effect upon impact; if your friends play such games, you need a better set of friends; if you play enough, someone's going to "win." Looks like we have a "winner," but with everyone left behind at a loss. Sad, is right.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The only way to fix stupid is the way this kid did it. And no, I don`t feel the least bit sorry for him.

Hi Scott, How did you get the swelling down?? On second thought, hmm, brain damaged ?? no wonder yer a gun nut. snicker

Speaking of being stupid, I once was into aircraft spraying. I finally learned my lesson that I was not invincible the hard way. Up to that point, I suppose that I did just about everything stupid or wrong that it was possible to do in flying. Cure point see atach.

Fortunately, i received a second chance, this kid didn't, course he will never know it, or will he?

Don Jose de La Mancha

"I exist to live, not live to exist"

booboo.jpg

As an addition to something that has already been touched on: I have a daughter who is 9. When she is around boys of the same age, I can see how much of a maturity difference there already is between them. Sometimes it's staggering to watch.
    As a father of a boy and a girl, the difference in maturity (which of course varies by individual) continues into the 20's. As an employer that hired a lot of recent college grads, the women outperformed the men in a surprising number of cases, in many I would attribute it to maturity.

Just a casual observation.

BUT..........DO NOT ALLOW your daughter to date older boys!!!!!!!!!!!

I always thought 25-30 or so "leavened" the men some.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links