Stupid is once again an effective teacher

This is a discussion on Stupid is once again an effective teacher within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; although it is permanent for one in this case Largo teen shoots self dead during game of Russian roulette. The thrill of death....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Stupid is once again an effective teacher

Stupid is once again an effective teacher

Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Which raises the question why do young men take such risks in the first place? Is this the way one finds swagger, cache? Is this one way one gets the girls, the respect, the cool factor?
    Could it be a normal human rite of passage? Throughout history there have been cases of young men fighting other men, wild animals or sometimes the forces of nature to prove themselves worthy of being called a man. Maybe our over protected young men are merely feeling this natural urge to prove themselves?
    American Indians counting coup. Medieval Knights with their jousting tournaments. The running of the bulls and even bull fighting.

Then again I could be full of it.

Michael
    Doghandler and Sig35seven like this.

sgb
    Darwin award winner
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

As tragic as the incident is, it is a reminder that boys (used in a generic sense, maybe anyone under 25?) can be stupid beyond all understanding.

An old saying comes to mind: One boy, one brain; two boys, half brain; three boys, no brain. I've seen that in action too many times to count.

Although this level of intelligence explains some of the elections we've had over the past decade or so.
    claude clay and Spirit51 like this.

I had a friend in high school die this way. Young people think they are invincible - young and stupid is a very sad thing.

Play stupid games!
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

RR with a wheelie is for sissies. Use a semi-auto.
    Eagleks likes this.

I've done some pretty dumb things in my day looking back. But I'll have to say, my level of stupidity was never that high. Sounds like the value of his own life was exactly 1:6 to him. Sad
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I can't believe that there is not a underlying death wish in people who do this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    yep, stupid... and sad.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

P95
    Stupid is as stupid does....as wise man once said.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Well, the final score stands. No do overs in life.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

So sad. For those that don't know, the prefrontal cortex is the area of the brain which is responsible for risk perception. I heard once that it doesn't complete maturing in males until 30 years of age, though the following link says 25. (Maturation of the Prefrontal Cortex)

Development is slower in males than females by 4-6 years (again, working from memory here).

I always found this statistic and phenomenon interesting because I learned it when I was a younger man who was very much into activities that others considered risky (ice climbing, alpinism). I always knew of the risks from a textbook definition. I knew the difference between objective and subjective risk, and being a scardycat, I was generally one of the safest climbers of my group of friends.

But, lo-and-behold, around age 31 I started to suddenly appreciate these risks in a much different way, and I 'dropped out' - which, though racked with stigma, was better than falling to my death.

What I'm getting at is that playing russian roulette is 'stupid', but it just may be that this kid simply hadn't fully developed and was not able to truly comprehend the risk.

At any rate this is a sad event. My thoughts go out to his family. I hope they can find a way to overcome this tragedy.

But for those of you with kids - especially teenage boys - it is worth remembering that even though they may seem smart and responsible, they are still developing their ability to understand risk.
    Dadsnugun, WHEC724, Lish and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    RR with a wheelie is for sissies. Use a semi-auto.
    At least use a Hi-Point so its a 50/50 chance of it going bang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links