Texas justifiable homicides reportedly rise with state's 'stand-your-ground' law

Texas justifiable homicides reportedly rise with state's 'stand-your-ground' law

This is a discussion on Texas justifiable homicides reportedly rise with state's 'stand-your-ground' law within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Since Texas expanded its “Castle Doctrine” in 2007 — also known as “Stand Your Ground” law in some states — justifiable killings in the Lone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Texas justifiable homicides reportedly rise with state's 'stand-your-ground' law

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Since Texas expanded its “Castle Doctrine” in 2007 — also known as “Stand Your Ground” law in some states — justifiable killings in the Lone Star state have reportedly increased from 32 in 2006 to 48 in 2010.

A review of FBI data by the Houston Chronicle found that the citizen shootings most often happen after dark and involve a male shooting a handgun during a home invasion. The shooter is most often a minority, as is the person killed, according to the analysis.

Twenty-seven of those deaths in 2010 were in Houston, including that of 24-year-old Benito Pantoja, who was shot and killed with a .357 Colt for $20.29 stolen from a tip jar of a Houston taco truck. Texas law always has allowed deadly force against intruders and thieves to protect lives and property, but where it once required a duty to try to retreat if possible when facing imminent danger, it no longer does, the newspaper reports.

"Traditionally, if you felt your life was threatened, you could use deadly force to protect yourself, except if you could get away safely where nobody got hurt, then you were required to do that," Sandra Thompson, a professor at the University of Houston Law Center, told the newspaper. "Even if somebody is just stealing from your front yard, and they are not threatening anybody, (and) there's no threat of being hurt at all, you can kill them, if it's reasonably necessary protecting your property.”

The state’s law and the use of justifiable deadly force was thrust back into the national spotlight last week when retired Texas firefighter Raul Rodriguez, 46, was sentenced to 40 years in prison for killing his unarmed neighbor, Kelly Danaher, 37, after confronting him about a noisy party. Prosecutors said they’re hopeful the ruling will stop others from trying to use Texas’ version of a stand-your-ground law as a defense.

"I think it sends a clear message that this was not a case of stand-your-ground," said prosecutor Kelli Johnson. "And I think from his behavior, his intent, the provocation ... shows that this had ... nothing to do with self-defense."

Rodriguez, who faced up to life in prison for the 2010 killing, will be eligible for parole in 20 years. His reference to standing his ground was similar to the claim made by George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer who has cited Florida's stand-your-ground law in his defense in the fatal February shooting of an unarmed teenager, Trayvon Martin.

Texas law, however, goes further than other states in allowing deadly force not only to protect property, but also to stop rape, arson, burglary, robbery, theft at night and criminal mischief at night, the Chronicle reports.

Also last month, a grand jury in Texas' Lavaca County declined to indict the father of a 5-year-old girl who found a man molesting her behind a barn in Shiner and beat him to death, determining he was within his right to use deadly force.

Read more: Texas justifiable homicides reportedly rise with state's 'stand-your-ground' law | Fox News

Sounds like a good reason to be able to defend themselves. I'm not really sure what the point is by writing this up but if this guy writes a book with this in it, I hope it's titled, "And The Way It Should Be."
    baren likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Did the number of overall murders go down? That's the big question.

After the Trayvon Martin killing some paper in FL did this same type of article. Justifiable homicides up, but overall murders way down.
    Chris Dawg likes this.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post

After the Trayvon Martin killing some paper in FL did this same type of article. Justifiable homicides up, but overall murders way down.
    But then the sensationalism would not be there and their slant or desire to sell more papers would not be met.....

Fox just cut and pasted what they wanted to. Read the entire article in The Chronicle and make sure you read the whole thing.
    "The Chronicle also examined times of death, gender and race of both the shooters and the dead. Citizen shootings most often happen after dark, and involve a male shooting a handgun during a home invasion."
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Maybe the GGs "Stand Your Ground" mentality is finally overcoming the BGs "Stand There and Take It" mentality.

I personally happen to favor and support justifiable homicides. It's not like the legal system will address it. The prisons are already full of pot smokers.
    Mr B and sgb like this.

P95
    I support it all the way. People have the right to protect themselves and their property, and should not be required to tuck tail and run if it's an option. It's their property....
    Mr B, RETSUPT99 and BillK like this.

If your working on a Taco truck $20 is feast or famine.

Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    I support it all the way. People have the right to protect themselves and their property, and should not be required to tuck tail and run if it's an option. It's their property....
    Damn Right, Thats the way I feel about it also. 100%.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    The state’s law and the use of justifiable deadly force was thrust back into the national spotlight last week when retired Texas firefighter Raul Rodriguez, 46, was sentenced to 40 years in prison for killing his unarmed neighbor, Kelly Danaher, 37, after confronting him about a noisy party. Prosecutors said they’re hopeful the ruling will stop others from trying to use Texas’ version of a stand-your-ground law as a defense.

"I think it sends a clear message that this was not a case of stand-your-ground," said prosecutor Kelli Johnson. "And I think from his behavior, his intent, the provocation ... shows that this had ... nothing to do with self-defense."

Rodriguez, who faced up to life in prison for the 2010 killing, will be eligible for parole in 20 years. His reference to standing his ground was similar to the claim made by George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer who has cited Florida's stand-your-ground law in his defense in the fatal February shooting of an unarmed teenager, Trayvon Martin.
    The AP/reporter buries Geo. Z. with Raul R in saying that their claims are "similar". Let's let the jury look at the facts - if it gets that far. The law works on facts not on political climate or political correctness.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Self-defense incidents go up, dirtbag count goes down...it's all good.
    sgb likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post

Last report I heard the murder rate in Houston is the lowest it has been since 1971.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Do they take into account that the economy has taken a dump and more people are turning to crime as a means of "getting by"? More crime, means more people having to defend themselves.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Justifiable is the key word here. In Texas virtually killings go to a grand jury. Police or private citizens. If the ruling is justifiable then the shooting or whatever was legal. Hopefully the killing of victims is way down. As it should be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links