BAD: "Guns blamed for sparking some wildfires in West" - Page 2

BAD: "Guns blamed for sparking some wildfires in West"

This is a discussion on BAD: "Guns blamed for sparking some wildfires in West" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For those of you that are old enough to remember years ago all the wild fires out west were blamed on smokers. And some times ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: BAD: "Guns blamed for sparking some wildfires in West"

For those of you that are old enough to remember years ago all the wild fires out west were blamed on smokers. And some times careless campers. We would here it every time there was a wild fire and we do go though these fires from time to time this in nothing new.
    Now not many smoke and that was wearing thin so time to find a new bad guy...GUNS. We are going to have to ban them to stop wild fires.

I can see how in certain circumstances it is possible, but I'm still confused as to exactly how they could specifically tie a fire back to it. Theory and possibility are one thing, but actually specifically pinning it down as the actual cause in a specific situation would seem to be nearly impossible.
    CIBMike likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

In the case's where I live it was the likely cause. Not an area where cars go. Out in the BLM land in an area known for shooting. Only vehicles would be quads and dirt bike's but the fires started part way up a hill not near the road. Anything is possible and they don't need proof they only need the likely cause. Guns don't cause fires people cause fires.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    OK, the exploding target thing... maybe. I've never used one.
    Yes, they'll start a wild fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    It's very possible-someone shooting into brush can cause ricochets, especially if there are flint-rock around that can spark.
    Lead bullets don't spark. Similarly, lead shot from a shotgun does not spark.

Copper-jacketed lead bullets don't spark.

I live here in southern UT where the Shingle fire just burned up one of my best turkey hunting spots, it's extremely dry & hot here and a lot of people shoot in the area, but I don't think that's what caused our fire here. But I've been running the range at Camp Williams years ago & as soon as we brought the M-60's on the line we would be spending the rest of the day putting out the range fire, but I believe it was from the tracer/FMJ ammo that started all of the fires. As for SOME of the other fires we have now, it's possible someone with no brains & the right ammo could have sparked a fire.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

I'd be more inclined to believe idiots shooting Tracers and not any "Steel Jacketed???" I'm betting they mean steel core like the lake city M855 steel penetrator,but it is still copper jacketed.Hate to say it but Kids/Young Adults will buy tracers and have no idea that the phosphorous tip will catch stuff on fire.I remember shooting the M60 on a British machine gun range,they made us delink all the tracers so we wouldn't burn up their already charred range
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Has anyone ever tried making a fire with steel and flint? Doable for sure, but it sure doesn't just "happen" - got to get the tinder prepared, get the sparks in the center, then get air on them quick.
    I have to ask have you?

You make it sound like it's hard to do, and as a re-enactor and someone who has been doing it for years I'll tell you it sure isn't as hard as you make it sound. Dry grass is a pretty good tinder source, not the best but very useable, and if you have a slight breeze blowing... POOF, fire!
    aznav and mlr1m like this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

It was'nt the gun,it was the Idiots fault for doing it,knowing it was that dry.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Sounds like a good case for the MythBusters, if they haven't already tackled this one.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    It happens, but I'm guessing it's very rare. Most of the time fires would be a result of tracers or some sort of exotic ammunition. I'm not sure about tannerite.
    Hakkaa päälle!

years ago, while working range in the Marine Corps, we spent the better part of a day stripping all the tracer rounds out of M-60 and M-2 ammo belts due to dry conditions in the impact area. I can tell you, we still spent most of the afternoon with flappers and shovels running down range when the dry grass caught fire. I have seen FMJ catch dry brush fire often enough to know plain jane FMj CAN cause brush fires.

having said that, I do find it difficult to believe they can actually determine which fires were caused this way unless there were witnesses to it...

Distinguished Member
    I heard it from a good source that George W. Bush started those fires.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

I heard the fires were caused by a short on one of those green battery powered hybrid cars. No wait maybe it was a wind turbine that over heated. No on the other hand maybe it was a solar panel malfunctioning.

In all seriousness anyone believe that had any of the above been considered that the news would tell us?

Michael

Please.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links