Good: ACLU makes phone app that allows recording of police

This is a discussion on Good: ACLU makes phone app that allows recording of police within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/07/...-police-stops/ It isn't half bad. Don't think they would expect any of us to use it though. Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Good: ACLU makes phone app that allows recording of police

Good: ACLU makes phone app that allows recording of police

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/07/...-police-stops/

It isn't half bad. Don't think they would expect any of us to use it though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Ads

I saw that, but I think I'll pass. The police already have a recording. Old men in Buicks aren't routinely stopped and frisked anyway.
    aznav likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    It is just too bad that there is a need for such an app today, or even that some feel that there is a need.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    The last time I was stopped (traffic violation) was 37 years ago. I don't think that I would need this "app" anytime soon..... You know, its funny how it works--if you obey the law then you usually don't have to worry too much........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Administrator
    Now the Police know that they will need to Whoops! accidentally smash your phone at the same time they are making your face eat the concrete.

“You can think back to when Rodney King was beaten at the hands of the LAPD,”

Now the first smack is to the phone that Rodney is carrying and the next smack is to his head. Sorry about your phone there Rodney. I was trying to break your kneecap but, I missed.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    The last time I was stopped (traffic violation) was 37 years ago. I don't think that I would need this "app" anytime soon..... You know, its funny how it works--if you obey the law then you usually don't have to worry too much........
    I have also found that to be a remarkably effective paradigm.

The fact that somebody enthusiastically can't wait to get their hands on such an app tells me quite a bit about where they are coming from.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

The police already have a recording.
    Sure, they do. And copies have value if the originals ever turn up missing and/or tweaked. Perfect, 100% squeaky cleanliness hasn't ever been a claim all 'authorities' have been accused of. It is what it is, relatively rare though the situation might be.
    DoctorBob likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I wouldn't use it solely because there is an option to send the audio/video to the ACLU for review. I think I am capable of determining whether my civil rights have been violated without their help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Do they make the users aware that their phone could then be held as evidence until the case is resolved?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    That being said, it mostly applies where the government (as a whole) observes the law. When the government says that the law means what the government says it means (as with the recent SC decision), then the law becomes meaningless, and tyranny reigns.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I would rather have an app that would alert me when the ACLU or Jesse or Al was in the area
    kb2wji, WHEC724, CIBMike and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I think this is good. Specialy for New York where the stop and frisk law is and has violated thousands of citizens civil rights. Just because the aclu came up with this doesn't make it bad!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Now the Police know that they will need to Whoops! accidentally smash your phone at the same time they are making your face eat the concrete. (snip)
    QK, this is uncharacteristic of you. Is the heat getting to you today?
    How can anyone reasonably respond to this without the conversation taking the express train south? Wrong is wrong, and multiple wrongs don't make thing right, Rodney King being a solid example.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

IMHO, an 'app' like this is good for EVERYONE. These types of ubiquitous recording devices help keep all parties (citizens, perps & LE) acting a little more reasonably and honestly. And, if someone (citizen, perp or LE) does get out of hand, there's no better evidence than a recording.
    gigamortis, Crowman and DoctorBob like this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

As tired as I am about these threads....allow me to make a comment. In my 500 sworn department, just about all of us lined up when the new camera systems came out. We were all itching for one for its more powerful recording capabilities. Us cops love being wired up with audio and video. As a whole it gets us out of a whole lot more trouble than it'll ever get us into. Very contrary to the popular public opinion. IMO people that are hell bent on recording LEO's are the ones that are subconciously looking for a LEO encounter to record. Give it a rest! If you ever get into a sticky situation with a LEO, you can bet a shiny nickel that he's actually recording you. If you end up in court, you can be sure that video will be there too. If you dont end up in court, then quit losing so much sleep over that 11 seconds of your life. Even if (and I personally dont care, just playing devils advocate) a LEO gives you the "hey you got a permit for that thing"? Is that [I]really[I] harassment? Just sayin... if you are out seeking drama, drama will find you. With the right attitude you can obviously make a very simple 10 second LEO encounter into an earth stopping harassment case. Anything to get the internet fired up, right? IMO, i'd rather save all the money I spend on batteries and buy more ammo
    rocky likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links