Bad: yes it's cooler at night... but not a good time to go for a run

This is a discussion on Bad: yes it's cooler at night... but not a good time to go for a run within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Woman accosted at knife point out for a late night run.... hauled into "taller vegetation" off the trail and sexually assaulted... BOLO Hispanic male with ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Burns

Thread: Bad: yes it's cooler at night... but not a good time to go for a run

Bad: yes it's cooler at night... but not a good time to go for a run

Woman accosted at knife point out for a late night run.... hauled into "taller vegetation" off the trail and sexually assaulted...

BOLO Hispanic male with small head and hi pitched voice wearing a t-shirt that says "George" possibly a GMU shirt

Story here
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

P95
    That's a bad deal. I'm sure the lady may have ran that course before. Got to be smart about where, when, and how often you run.

Having a permit and a firearm could have easily ended this little headed dirtbag's crime spree.

I'll bet this lady NOW looks into CCW.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Running without a buddy is one of those things that can be very risky, particularly if going off the beaten path where there aren't plenty of witnesses to inhibit such crimes. If you're gonna do that, you'd better be prepared to accept what being unable to effectively defend against violence might entail.

Condolences to the woman who was assaulted. Time to acquire defensive weaponry and obtain competent training in how to protect your life. Start by acquiring a couple of running buddies, on all runs.

~140 lbs ... small head ... high-pitched voice ... limited verbal skills ... "George" shirt
    On a lighter note, there can't be too many 140-lb castrated pinheads named George in the area, even near DC.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yeah this is one of those things that drives me ape. My folks property boundary ends with a bike trail through a wooded area that runs between all of the local neighborhoods there. Whenever I've been over there on the weekends for cookouts and such there's always women running alone with blasted ipod earbuds in to boot! I've stopped to talk to a few of them and they may well have thought I was some random nut, but I usually tried to get the point across to either travel with a buddy and/or at least kill the earbuds...politely...

Given this type of thing has happened fairly frequently along the trails in and around NOVA you'd think they'd all get the picture by now, but nope.

edit: funny thing is it's always really easy to stop them and strike up a conversation when you have a goofy dog with you...for some strange reason a friendly dog with you seems to instill some extra trust in folks. Don't understand that one at all, but I've noticed it far too many times.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I got this for my wife when she goes running, people really need to dish out the $15 to help protect themselves if they don't carry a firearm.

Mace-Jogger--Shot.jpg
    Rollo likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I also put Safetygrid app on her IPhone, so if something happens it shows me where she is.

Links