Sad, 25 y.o. woman killed in freak shooting accident

This is a discussion on Sad, 25 y.o. woman killed in freak shooting accident within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Hopyard '' I agree, but I'll speculate. I still think shoulder holster. I will speculate that the gun somehow slid an inch ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Sad, 25 y.o. woman killed in freak shooting accident

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    ''

I agree, but I'll speculate. I still think shoulder holster. I will speculate that the gun somehow slid an inch or so forward so that
    as she hugged him she pushed it back into place. The next question is what caused the trigger to be pressed. Maybe just
    her grip around the holster coupled with the push toward the rear. I can see it might happen with an SAO carried sans safety engaged or an SAO with a grip safety which became depressed as she hugged him from the rear. Other than that, any DAO should have been safe.

^^^^^^^^I am^^^^^^^^^^^

Thinking along these lines as well Hop.

From article;

According to Stephens, the woman "embraced the officer from behind, causing the holstered weapon to accidently discharge." The bullet punctured Miller's lung and hit her heart, and she died at a hospital.

End of quote.........

Was she getting all touchy-feely, and all kinda flirty and what not, starts grabbing and whatever for a second, and maybe he had a pistol that he thought he had cocked and locked but it somehow became UN-locked, and when she was grabbing around.....band.

Detroit officers are issued M&P FS .40.
    Don't know whats up if maybe they are issued the model with the safeties on them, OR even if that is the weapon he had, but if it was, and even if the safety on it somehow became dis-engaged, I don't think under normal circumstances , if holsterd correctly, that it would have gone off.

Prayers for Ms. Miller and her family.

OPPS, GUESS I SHOULD HAVE SCROLLED DOWN 4 MORE POSTS.
    Last edited by oneshot; July 9th, 2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Premature Etypulation
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The weapon, a department-issued, 40-caliber Smith & Wesson semiautomatic pistol, was in a holster worn inside the officer’s waistband and was covered by his shirt, Goldpaugh said.
    Going by this I can see where a weapon can be fired and strike someone in the leg or foot but to hit someone in the chest just does not add up.
    Chad Rogers likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

That's one low hug, something is fishy here... I think someone's belt was getting loose.

Add me to the "Something ain't right here" list.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Woman killed while hugging an off-duty officer

Detroit woman killed when hug triggers officer's gun, police say | Fox News

WOW.....?!? How many times have 'we' hugged and been hugged while heeled??? Talk about a tragic accident (neglience ?)

So many questions....... In any enviroment where I'm carrying, my sidearm is secured, trigger covered, and positive control always maintained.

Certinally need more info, but what do ya'll think? Ever had a sidearm get 'adjusted/shifted/physically compromised' while in an embrace?

Prayers to the family and the officer. This is just horrible.....
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

P95
    Wow....how tragic....prayers for the family. I can't help but wonder what type of firearm he was carrying.

This is one of the reasons it took me so long to carry with one in the pipe (not to start that argument) but things happen. The thought of something like this happening while giving my kids a big hug literally makes my heart sink.

From the article, it seems like the officer might have been wearing a horizontal shoulder holster. She hugged him from behind, and was shot in the heart. Only thing I can think is that she somehow got a finger into the trigger while reaching around him to give the hug.

Damn.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Other reports are saying it was an IWB holster covered by a shirt.

I am trying to understand the physics of this. How could she be shot in the chest if he was wearing an IWB holster? Ricochet?
    SIGguy229 and nedrgr21 like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Darnit..... Hopyard beat me to it and I completly missed it while looking to see if it was already posted........

Sad, 25 y.o. woman killed in freak shooting accident
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    There is more, a lot more, to this story...
    Hakkaa päälle!

This sure doesn't make sense, If the officer was dancing with his wife and it was IWB the girl would have been kneeling on the floor to get shot in the chest. The only things I can think of are either she was doing the limbo or attempting to pull the officer down to the floor. Even then a holstered gun should not have gone off.

It sounds like a really strange tragedy, and hopefully eventually we get some more information. It sounds as if there had to be eyewitnesses since it supposedly happened at a party on a dance floor.

This sounds like shenanigans...something is NOT being reported. How does a hug from behind lead to an accidental shooting...in the chest. I remain skeptical until more information becomes available...
    goldshellback and Badey like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Maybe he had a "cocked and locked" 1911, or something similar - which IMHO is an extraordinarily dangerous carry setup, especially when aimed directly (horizontally) to rear like that.

Anyway, this tragedy is another reason why I (as a private citizen) am a big fan of carrying with empty chamber (please don't start debating this in this thread, it has been over-debated). Of course, this guy was a LEO and I can understand the need of LE to have one in the pipe. But I hope they completely divulge all details of this incident, so that we can all learn and avoid this type of needless loss of life in the future.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links