Good: pistol against a shotty

This is a discussion on Good: pistol against a shotty within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Homeowner tried to hide from home invaders that broke in with a shotgun... they shot first... he shot back.... they ran.... Nobody got hurt (they ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By mprp
  • 4 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Good: pistol against a shotty

Homeowner tried to hide from home invaders that broke in with a shotgun... they shot first... he shot back.... they ran.... Nobody got hurt (they think)... but at least the good guy scared 'em off... even though "out gunned"

Story here
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I'm sure happy the home owner was armed, it could have been real ugly if he had not been.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I'm wondering if he was carrying while at home or made a run for the gun - I still like an AR for a HD long gun (tirty rounds on tap and virtually no recoil)

I'd say our homeowner, even though surprised, had the advantage of the 'ensconced defender.'
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    If I ever had an encounter, you would think it would sound so much better if you had shot the BG's, but in reality, this is how I'd want it to go.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Sounds like both parties need to take a defensive shooting class.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I'm sure they'll either be back or hit some other people. Give 'em time enough for the hair on the back of their necks to lay back down.
    bigdogtx likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    I'm wondering if he was carrying while at home or made a run for the gun - I still like an AR for a HD long gun (tirty rounds on tap and virtually no recoil)
    I hear ya, and I've considered an AR, but after thinking about it and wanting one, I leave them in the store. If I could hunt with one in PA I might buy one, but for the money I can get a bolt rifle that shoots circles around an AR.

I just can't see any advantage to an AR over a good semi-auto handgun, or revolver, as a HD weapon. They don't fit in a holster, so they are by definition not available in a couple of seconds. They are much bigger and harder to manuver in tight spaces. They cost 2X to 3X as much as a servicable semi-auto handgun. The 30 round magazine is just extra weight. The odds of needing more than two or three rounds are vanishingly small. 10 rounds would cover all but one in a couple million home invasions. I've never ever read of one that needed more than 10, though Lance Thomas did shoot more than that once defending his watch repair business but that wasn't home defense.

During the time when I'm up and about in the house, I'd rather have my Glock or <insert favorite handgun> on me than have to carry an AR on me everyplace. There is no gun better than the one you can deploy in a couple of seconds. A rifle will always be someplace else when the bad guy breaks down the door.

My Glock 19 holds 16, the spare clip has another 15. That's 31 rounds but I can't see ever needing more than two or three. And I can shoot it with either hand or both hands.

At night, I wouldn't mind a Mossberg SA22 tactical model standing in the corner by the bed, but my G19 with the rail light on it is my first choice. I don't want to shoot at anything I haven't positively identified, the support hand thumb operated light lets me do that effortlessly.

Finally, I have a nice bedside safe I can open in 3 seconds in the dark (I've practiced) that allows me to lock the handgun up when it's not in the holster and there are visiting children in the house. Not that easy to do with an AR or shotgun.

What am I missing?

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    If I ever had an encounter, you would think it would sound so much better if you had shot the BG's, but in reality, this is how I'd want it to go.
    While I completely understand your point of view, the only problem with this ending is that these dirtbags have learned nothing, payed nothing, and now are a bit smarter in their approach to selecting their next victim.
    Perhaps next time they will be quicker to kill to avoid the home owner's defensive shooting. Dead offenders can't do that...I'm just sayin'...
    I am glad that the home owner is alive and well.
    joker1, mprp, Chad Rogers and 1 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    While I completely understand your point of view, the only problem with this ending is that these dirtbags have learned nothing, payed nothing, and now are a bit smarter in their approach to selecting their next victim.
    Perhaps next time they will be quicker to kill to avoid the home owner's defensive shooting. Dead offenders can't do that...I'm just sayin'...
    I am glad that the home owner is alive and well.
    I hear you Ret, but I think you are pointing that they did, in fact, learn something, just not something that is beneficial to society.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    I'm sure they'll either be back or hit some other people. Give 'em time enough for the hair on the back of their necks to lay back down.
    Something made them select that particular place to begin with...
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Something made them select that particular place to begin with...
    ...and they were armed with a shotty. Sounds odd to me. I doubt very much that they were there just to B&E and steal.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    ... I just can't see any advantage to an AR over a good semi-auto handgun, or revolver, as a HD weapon. ...
    Fitch
    I'm with you as well on having a pistol on your person, I was just continuing my train of thought of whether the homeowner had the pistol on him or ran to get it. If he ran to get a gun, a long gun would (generally speaking) be better and I'd favor the AR as opposed to a shotgun for many of the reasons you mention for a pistol over a long gun - light weight, easier to shoot 1 or 2 handed, easier to maneuver (with right setup).

Links