Lansing MI. Is trying the gun by back progam...

This is a discussion on Lansing MI. Is trying the gun by back progam... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The city of lansing is trying a guns for grocery program. I think its a joke. If you get a chance take a look at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Lansing MI. Is trying the gun by back progam...

Lansing MI. Is trying the gun by back progam...

The city of lansing is trying a guns for grocery program. I think its a joke. If you get a chance take a look at the article and video. Cast a vote if you would like...

Poll: Will Lansing's new gun buyback program succeed in decreasing violence? | MLive.com
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

2. Remove Ads

Michigan voted against Virg and his ideas in the last election. Thank God he lost his bid for governor. Sorry Lansing is still stuck with him.

When a reporter at Thursday's press conference cited a University of Chicago study positing that gun buyback programs do not curtail violence, Bernero said: "Let's create a study in Lansing. Let's create a case study and make it happen."
    Wonder what he means by 'create'? If it is a study of facts there would be nothing to create. Surely he doesn't mean that they should create their own facts? No, they wouldn't do that.

Michael

IMO, gun buy-back programs aren't much different than any other fundraiser type events (though the economics are obviously different). Someone bringing in a few canned food items hardly means they'll eat much differently in the near future. Similarly, the mere idea that someone brings in a gun or two hardly means they'll necessarily go unarmed or renounce violence.

About all that can be said is that such violent persons will now have a few more dollars in the pocket, perhaps in some cases buying a few days of reprieve for local innocents who won't be robbed to feed the drug habit. Though, in all likelihood that person is still going to come out of the buy-back the same violent person as he/she was going in.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    There was another shooting just last night. This buy back will get a lot of play in the media. It won't actually DO anything, but it will get politicians names in the paper.

I say let the city put on a free CPL class instead of a buy back. I'd contribute to that.
    CIBMike likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    One definition of insanity is to continue to do the same thing(s) over and over again yet expect different results. Didn't Detroit just do a buy back earlier this year? Let's see, they're at around 160 homicides to date, and still counting. Gee, I wonder how that buy back program worked for them?
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    One definition of insanity is to continue to do the same thing(s) over and over again yet expect different results. Didn't Detroit just do a buy back earlier this year? Let's see, they're at around 160 homicides to date, and still counting. Gee, I wonder how that buy back program worked for them?
    Maybe they gave out the guns they bought to local gang members in an attempt to trace them back to their headquarters?

Michael

Around here we use our guns to GET GROCERIES. The groceries that are in the woods and walking around on 4 legs, that is.

Another failed attempt. IMO, all these programs accomplish is getting politicians names in the paper...November is coming. And it gives the anti-gun people warm fuzzies...
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    There was another shooting just last night. This buy back will get a lot of play in the media. It won't actually DO anything, but it will get politicians names in the paper.

I say let the city put on a free CPL class instead of a buy back. I'd contribute to that.
    Yep, you are right.

What I find comical is that they are not giving cash, they are giving away a 100 dollar grocery card. After watching the video I really think Virg, thinks this will work.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I bet the fast and furious guys would like to get some groceries right about now. Might have been a better use of their time and their resources. They could feed some poor instead of the mess they made.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

What is needed is a 'Politician Buy Back Program'.
    Simple...turn in a politician for groceries that are donated to any worthy cause, and that could/would help society.
    oakchas, oldrwizr and Gforty like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

$100 for something you have to buy anyway is as good as cash as long as you're not obligated to pay higher prices for the goods. Maybe another NRA group can use it to fund another function. Wonder if you could get by cobbling some resemblance of a gun (non-functioning) and turning those in.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    What is needed is a 'Politician Buy Back Program'.
    Simple...turn in a politician for groceries that are donated to any worthy cause, and that could/would help society.
    Its hard to buy a politician for $100 now days. Inflation and greed has driven the cost way up.

Michael

VIP Member
    I voted - see pic for stats as of now. Any questions???

Poll.jpg
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Einstein's definition of insanity is "doing the same things over and over and expecting different results."

How many of these gun buys have actually created different results from the last attempt?

None.

Criminals have no reason to sell a working handgun for $100 in cash, gas or groceries, it just won't happen, but since many of our Officials don't have a plan to deal with rampant crime, they turn to this illusion that, "if we get guns off the streets, they will be safer and gun crime will decrease?

Total bovine feces if I get asked about it. No gun buy-back will ever work, but rather than sit and do nothing, they do this to make public feel they are treating the problem.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links