Man installs bulletproof glass to protect home from crime

This is a discussion on Man installs bulletproof glass to protect home from crime within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Houston; we have a problem....crime is up and so is the shootings The wave of crime is not isolated to this particular cluster of townhomes. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Man installs bulletproof glass to protect home from crime

Houston; we have a problem....crime is up and so is the shootings

The wave of crime is not isolated to this particular cluster of townhomes.

Houston police said last week a man in a neighboring property shot an attempted car thief numerous times. The shots were fired from a third-story window.

The suspect remained in the hospital Thursday.

The nearby crime was more confirmation for neighbors at Delano City Place. They want to do more to protect their turf.

“Now it’s like OK that house is there, our neighbors were just attacked. Are we next? Could we be next?” said concerned neighbor RoShelle Salinas.

Neighbors will be meeting on Sunday to decide if they’ll pay to install a security gate at the front entrance.
    Man installs bulletproof glass to protect home from crime | khou.com Houston

I see nothing wrong with replacing vulnerable windows/door glass with Lexan AKA "bulletproof glass". I need some gun ports, however.

A few years ago some political ninnies tried to create a law against private citizens being able to possess and wear body armor for protection. They said only people who worked in government should be able to own and wear them.

I wonder if those same ninnies will try to outlaw hardening your home?

Michael

We don't fortify our homes here, we storm proof them. It just so happens that the storm proof stuff also happens to ballistic rated or blast resistant.
    Pkupmn98, Eagleks and ccw9mm like this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Bullet resistant glass is all well and good but we have all read/seen the tests where rounds go through walls. I'd hate for someone to install new "glass" and have a very false feeling of security. Besides you have to come out sometime or another.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    Bullet resistant glass is all well and good but we have all read/seen the tests where rounds go through walls. I'd hate for someone to install new "glass" and have a very false feeling of security. Besides you have to come out sometime or another.
    True but I believe in this case it was installed to keep them from smashing the glass and unlocking the door.IMHO he would have been better off installing steel doors with peepholes and a reinforced frame to keep them out,as far as other windows I would apply a plasting covering that if they bust the window it stays together and they have to try to cut their way thru the plastic which is a real PITA
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

False sense of security's important to guard against, too, as some have suggested. Reinforcement of a given door, window or wall only reinforces that given item. It's not that tough to tear off a few lap boards and bust through a sheet of drywall, for that matter, assuming one has a couple minutes and doesn't mind the noise. Let alone, to shoot through a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    Neighbors will be meeting on Sunday to decide if they’ll pay to install a security gate at the front entrance.
    Nor is it hard to hop an unguarded fence, or to hop it outside the view of the guard at the one gate. Amazing, that they think an automatic/carded gate will change anything.

As generally accessible as the average home is (without high/thick perimeter walls, dogs to guard the inner spaces, clear sight lines, thick walls/windows/doors to resist determined assault, monitored/alarmed entry paths), folks simply need to understand the limitations of what they're starting with, and the limitations of a given "reinforcement" step.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    While most people think of windows, because you can see through them, wall offer little more protection from break-ins or gun shots. Even pistol rounds will go through most any wall unless it is brick and rifle rounds even more so.

Many years back when no hardly anyone had gun safes, I remember reading where someone had one but had it on the outside wall. BGs used a chainsaw to cut a hole a little larger than the safe threw a log chain around it, fastened it to their truck and took off. May as well had it setting in front of the window.

Walls are for hiding behind but as far as protecting anything from happening or as cover not much help.

Here is a thread running on Warrior Talk, on shooting though walls, that same of you may like and want to read.

CQB - Shooting Through Walls
    Chad Rogers likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Houston police said last week a man in a neighboring property shot an attempted car thief numerous times. The shots were fired from a third-story window.
    God bless Texas. You do this in my state and you'll probably be leaving your home in handcuffs.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    True but I believe in this case it was installed to keep them from smashing the glass and unlocking the door.IMHO he would have been better off installing steel doors with peepholes and a reinforced frame to keep them out,as far as other windows I would apply a plasting covering that if they bust the window it stays together and they have to try to cut their way thru the plastic which is a real PITA
    A good point re reaching in and unlocking the door. For this I like your suggestions with the addition of a keyed lock on both sides. You may break out the glass but you will not be able to just twist the deadbolt open and party.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

You still must open the window to shoot back.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

I love what he is doing. When I become a homeowner I am gonna harden my crib too. 3M makes a film that is invisible to the eye that isn't bullet proof but it makes your windows hard enough to stop a bat or rock. I would also harden my doors with jamb armor. Door jamb armor won't stop a no knock warrant but it will sure delay one... Not that i would be expecting a no knock warrant but police get the wrong address sometimes...

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    A good point re reaching in and unlocking the door. For this I like your suggestions with the addition of a keyed lock on both sides. You may break out the glass but you will not be able to just twist the deadbolt open and party.
    I've always wondered,...what of the event of an emergency evac. is required? Then you have to remember to get your key, and manage to get the key in the hole to unlock the door to get out. (Like say,..a fire.) other exits may not be accessible. I can see saying "leave a key near the door" but that doesn't add much value of security then, does it? Or am I overthinking this?

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    God bless Texas. You do this in my state and you'll probably be leaving your home in handcuffs.
    lol that's crazy I was thinking the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    I've always wondered,...what of the event of an emergency evac. is required? Then you have to remember to get your key, and manage to get the key in the hole to unlock the door to get out. (Like say,..a fire.) other exits may not be accessible. I can see saying "leave a key near the door" but that doesn't add much value of security then, does it? Or am I overthinking this?
    then you are screwed... it's a double edged sword you just have to figure out what's best for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Key goes on the nightstand when you go to bed. On a fob big and bright enough to find with your eyes closed. While you're up, the key can be in the lock, if you have defensive weaponry to hand.

Mas Ayoob, "The Truth About Self Protection" yet another worthwhile read, written by Mas. It's older but still quite valid. Thanx to Spirit51 for the heads up on this book.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links