Strange story of Branishing in Texas

This is a discussion on Strange story of Branishing in Texas within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man who brandished gun at convenience store arraigned By Philip Jankowski Killeen Daily Herald A 21-year-old Killeen man is behind bars after police said he ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Strange story of Branishing in Texas

Man who brandished gun at convenience store arraigned

By Philip Jankowski
    Killeen Daily Herald

A 21-year-old Killeen man is behind bars after police said he brandished a gun at a convenience store.

Christopher George Page was charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon on licensed premises. Justice of the Peace Garland Potvin arraigned Page on Thursday, setting his bail at $20,000.

Killeen police obtained surveillance footage Monday from Handy Grocery on Gilmer Street in which a man identified as Page displayed a handgun to a store clerk, the affidavit states. When questioned, Page admitted to showing a gun to the clerk.

Police responded to the store that day on a call of shots fired; however, the report indicates no shots were fired and gives no indication that Page threatened or robbed the store.

It is illegal to bring a gun inside Handy Grocery because the store sells alcohol.
    ++++++

I thought this was strange story or at least an incomplete News article. The guy wasn't charged with brandishing a gun but rather "unlawfully carrying a weapon on licensed premises".

The article doesn't state whether he was CHL Holder or not. One would assume that is stated that the grocery store is licensed may refer to selling alcohol, but 51% establishment?

I understand brandishing is against the Law in Texas. I'm only assuming here, but the guy is 21 and in Texas that is the minimum age to carry conceal, so mustr be new to conceal Carry in Texas. This doesn't excuse his action, but might explain his action. It appears that the guy showed the clerk his concealed weapon, which was caught on video. He admitted to showing the clerk the weapon. The Guy didn't threaten the clerk or rob the store.

IMHO, either the incident was poorly reported or a third party had gotten involved to escalate the situation.
    FYI, never drop your guard when carrying concealed to be tempted to quickly show someone that you are carrying, in public to a friend or interested individual. You never know who is watching nor is thier agenda. Concealed means just that ...keep it concealed.

Play with it at home.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

but the guy is 21 and in Texas that is the minimum age to carry conceal,
    Wrong ,Military personnel can get a CHL at 18,I would assume that this individual was not a CHL holder.There are 2 types of signs for ABC businesses

I have seen two types of signs posted in retail establishments regarding concealed weapons. What is the difference between the two?

All alcoholic beverage retailers must post one of two firearms signs.

The 51% sign is required to be posted on the premises of establishments where the possession of any concealed weapon is illegal. These are establishments that are licensed to sell alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption whose alcohol sales constitutes more than half of their gross receipts. These signs have 51% in large red letters superimposed over the warning which notes that possession of a concealed weapon on the premises is a felony.

Establishments licensed to sell alcoholic beverages for off-premise consumption or establishments licensed to sell for on-premises consumption whose alcohol sales are 50% or less of total gross receipts are required to post a sign that warns that the unlicensed possession of a concealed weapon is a felony. The holder of a concealed handgun license may lawfully possess a concealed handgun on these premises.
    garyacman likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by baren View Post

It is illegal to bring a gun inside Handy Grocery because the store sells alcohol.
    ++++++
    This suggests the man did not have a CHL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

TABC has signs at every place licensed to sell alcohol stating that unlicensed posession of a weapon on the premisis is a felony.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Dukalmightly, I stand corrected on the age requirement exception for the military service member and very young veterans.

VIP Member
    My guess is he didn't have a permit. After all what reporter is going to pass up the opportunity to show how people with carry permits are lawbreaker and reckless?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This suggests the man did not have a CHL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    it sounds that way to me too

Christopher George Page was charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon on licensed premises. Justice of the Peace Garland Potvin arraigned Page on Thursday, setting his bail at $20,000.
    the article didn't say he had a CHL because it is not illegal to carry in a store that sells package liquor but it is illegal to show it off in public

VIP Member
    It's just way too hard to resist the urge to show off your new gun.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

12.What signs are required to be posted at an on-premises establishment such as a bar or restaurant?

Four signs are required to be posted at an on-premises retail establishment:
    •Weapons Warning Sign - If alcohol sales constitute less than half of gross receipts, the required sign says: "It is unlawful to carry a weapon on the premises unless the person is licensed to carry the weapon under the concealed handgun law." If alcohol sales constitute more than half of gross receipts, the signs have 51% in large red letters superimposed over the warning which notes that possession of a concealed weapon on the premises is a felony.
    •Public Interest Information Sign - If you have a complaint about the sale or service of alcoholic beverages in this establishment, please contact the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission, PO Box 13127, Austin, Texas 78711-3127, or phone 1-888-THE-TABC.
    th_43588_IMG_0278_122_710lo.jpg this is a blue sign here in texas which is posted when sales of booze are less the .51% or package carry out

Sponsored Links