TV Station posting list of permit holders - Page 3

TV Station posting list of permit holders

This is a discussion on TV Station posting list of permit holders within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by KimBobTex ^^^^^^^^^ You beat me to it ^^^^^^^^^ TX state law prohibits such childish antics. . My understanding is that this has ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: TV Station posting list of permit holders

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KimBobTex View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^ You beat me to it ^^^^^^^^^

TX state law prohibits such childish antics. .
    My understanding is that this has happened a few times in the past in different states. The end result was a law changed prohibiting the practice. I think that this is the desired goal here too.
    With respect to not publishing names and street numbers, for the most part they have been removed. There were some that were left in and I've read (on another regional forum) that this has been captured with screen shots.

It really is a despicable practice. Obviously the intent is to equate those with a concealed carry permit with registered sex offenders and other criminals that must "register" their whereabouts, as well as boost the ratings of the media outlet.

Heck, I couldn't even make it through the comments here without wanting to post this:

How about we publish all the names of people who are on food stamps? Or on any kind of government assistance? Wonder how that would go over?

Personally, I don't care who is getting a check, etc.
    Brad426 and msgt/ret like this.
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

Some of the newspapers in Iowa print the names of new and renewal permits.

I don't like it, but for the most part, criminals aren't smart enough to use the lists as "target lists"
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    WRAL, a station in Raleigh NC has decided to publish a searchable list of concealed handgun permit holders (they did exclude names but left enough other identifying characteristics to be able to identify individuals). they were asked to remove this data and have refused. Please go to

https://www.change.org/petitions/wra...andgun-permits

And sign for all permit holders that we don't want this behavior to stand.

every time someone signs, WRAL, CBS and 2 senators get emails urging them to correct this.

If we don't stop this now, your state maybe next.
    It's the FOIA (freedom of information act). Local newspapers around here tried this about three years ago and got shut down pretty quickly. I don't think it was just proving a point.....it was meant to do some damage (like the media does so well). But after the fact, it caused some powers that be to realize the risks and make changes. The general public needs to remain adaptable every time some educated retard decides to make a name for themselves. We may be able to defend ourselves on the streets, but behind closed doors in an office, we're still at risk.....local to the very top.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

At least when you search a 'list' it only goes no deeper than the street. Doesn;t give names or house numbers...

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    To be morally equivalent the posting of the stations staff info. would also have to redact the names & house numbers, etc.

This battle is best fought in the State legislature which has the power to correct things. As long as the station breaks no laws, and can claim some effort to protect the permitees, they have no incentive to change.

As an aside, I am frequently put in mind of Sigourney Weaver's great line from Alien: "Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?"

Get the names and personal info of all the employees at the station and post them on the Internet. That evens things out, no?

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    Get the names and personal info of all the employees at the station and post them on the Internet. That evens things out, no?
    I believe that approach has been used.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Well, that snippet you showed indicates NC 14-415.17 states that "The permit information shall be available upon request to all State and local law enforcement agencies." But it doesn't state that ONLY those groups are to be recipients. Seems that it only says such agencies can request it, and it'll be made available to them. Doesn't say anything about anyone else, such as a group of newsies, citizen, employer.

Is there a different statute that limits distribution/availability of the data, or is the implied wording of 14-415.7 different than what it appears to be?
    Went back and looked through the statutes again and could not find any reference that they may only be released to LEO or clerks. That may have been another of the changes made last December that I missed.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'll say it again going after an entity for doing something that is totally legal is not going to be as effective as getting the information reclassified.

The CHP info is classified at public info per NC GS 132-1 GS_132-1

Here is the complete statutes on public info.

Chapter 132

This problem will keep surfacing until the people that are concerned get their representatives to remove CHP info from the "public info" realm do to "personal security concerns".
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    It's the FOIA (freedom of information act).
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    I'll say it again going after an entity for doing something that is totally legal is not going to be as effective as getting the information reclassified.(snip)
    This problem will keep surfacing until the people that are concerned get their representatives to remove CHP info from the "public info" realm do to "personal security concerns".
    I think your right. Where many are saying that WRAL has gone wrong is that they have taken public information that one would normally have to go to the sheriff's office to register, show ID, and file a formal request, and turned into into immediate and anonymous public access. This is then extended to the idea that criminals can drive through a neighborhood, access this information via a mobile device in real time, and use it in determining where to strike.

everyone should work on their state legislators to take these rolls off the public information lists..

While most criminals don't have the intelligence to actually use these lists to target gun owners... they also don't have the wherewithal to realize that these homes might not be a good place to rob.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    Employers in NC can use this list to possibly fire employees as a right to work state. If you have an anti-gun boss you could be out the door.
    Again (and again) as someone affected by this (I've looked myself up in the registry) it only lists street names. My street has three CCP holders. Out of about 40 houses you have no idea which the three are, and chances are 20 more households have guns but no CCP holders. So in my mind the database is worthless in terms of identifying any individual, but it still pisses me off so I'm signing the petition.

I know the underlying reason is to harass law abiding citizens who CC, but after reading the article....I still didn't see the reason they put out to the general public about WHY they are doing this. There is no explanation of why it was necessary for the good of the public to violate the civil rights of lawful CC permit holders. Can someone tell me what I missed.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I know the underlying reason is to harass law abiding citizens who CC, but after reading the article....I still didn't see the reason they put out to the general public about WHY they are doing this. There is no explanation of why it was necessary for the good of the public to violate the civil rights of lawful CC permit holders. Can someone tell me what I missed.
    Spirit, I can't say you missed anything. But I don't honestly believe there is a malicious intent to harass law abiding citizens... I think it's some misplaced feeling of the need to "inform" the public.... I know, I know, there's that Florida thing going on... and the newsies are trying to expand the fear of gun totin' vigilantes across the nation.. But really I don't think they're out to do any harm... they just can't think beyond today's headline...

..."forgive them, for they know not what they do." and really, they don't. But, they are charged with keeping up the numbers of readers, listeners, viewers... in order to generate advertising revenue. That's their job.... presenting truly newsworthy information is no longer a requisite.... "give us dirty laundry..." is all they care about.
    oldrwizr likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links