Deputies knock on wrong door - Page 2

Deputies knock on wrong door

This is a discussion on Deputies knock on wrong door within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; You do realize without public backlash, this stuff would just get 1000x worse, right?...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 46
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Deputies knock on wrong door

  1. #16
    Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,263
    You do realize without public backlash, this stuff would just get 1000x worse, right?
    Chevy-SS and W9HDG like this.


  2. #17
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    11,305
    This thread is close to being shut down. Any more general condemnation of LE, and it's gone.

    If you can't confine your remarks to the case of the original post, then don't post.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

  3. #18
    VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    2,558
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    This thread is close to being shut down. Any more general condemnation of LE, and it's gone.

    If you can't confine your remarks to the case of the original post, then don't post.
    Is this the future of DC or just posts related to cops? Just curious if the increase in moderation was to help keep all threads on track in this manner...

  4. #19
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    11,305
    I can't speak to the future of DC, but when a single incident becomes a stage for indiscriminately broad bashing of any part of our society, the thread has wandered too far off the track.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

  5. #20
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Here we go. Another emotionally charged cop bashing thread.

    A tragic thing happens. It's reported by a member, and all people can do is bash the police instead of using it to discuss ways to not let this happen. Before you know it, the black helicopters are circling, and the tide of conspiracy is rising.
    It would be interesting to discuss ways to prevent this. It needs to be discussed.

    Michael
    Civil_Response likes this.

  6. #21
    Member Array randian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Thats gonna cost the dept. a fortune, for a wrongful death suit.
    Probably, but it won't cost the shooter anything, which is the heart of the problem.

  7. #22
    VIP Member Array glockman10mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    9,505
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    It would be interesting to discuss ways to prevent this. It needs to be discussed.

    Michael
    It certainly does. Maybe an ouce of prevention being worth a pound of cure on both sides comes to mind.

    If I received that knock, I would not open the door unless I was sure it was LE. Even if I had to call dispatch first to verify it. I would tell the officer thru the door what I was doing and why I was delaying.
    If confirmed, I would put my weapon down, or even in a pocket if applicable, and retrieve my ID to readily resolve any confusion, and open the door to talk to officers.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

  8. #23
    Member Array randian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    A tragic thing happens. It's reported by a member, and all people can do is bash the police instead of using it to discuss ways to not let this happen.
    Easy peasy: make the shooter personally responsible for discharging their weapon, just like civilians are. Second, prosecute cops just like you'd prosecute a civilian. It cannot be a coincidence that cops, who generally face less consequences for their shooting, are far more aggressive in choosing to shoot than civilians are.

  9. #24
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    6,010
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    It certainly does. Maybe an ouce of prevention being worth a pound of cure on both sides comes to mind.

    If I received that knock, I would not open the door unless I was sure it was LE. Even if I had to call dispatch first to verify it. I would tell the officer thru the door what I was doing and why I was delaying.
    If confirmed, I would put my weapon down, or even in a pocket if applicable, and retrieve my ID to readily resolve any confusion, and open the door to talk to officers.
    I think we need to start at the source: the procedures the LEO's were using. The onus should not be on the man (granted..I think most of us would do things different). Point is fixing the the cause of the problem...not the actions after there was an oopsie. You can't predict nor tell folks how they should act when something happens. Procedures and protocols need to be established at the government level so this is not a possibility to begin with.
    Hopyard likes this.

  10. #25
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    It certainly does. Maybe an ouce of prevention being worth a pound of cure on both sides comes to mind.

    If I received that knock, I would not open the door unless I was sure it was LE. Even if I had to call dispatch first to verify it. I would tell the officer thru the door what I was doing and why I was delaying.
    If confirmed, I would put my weapon down, or even in a pocket if applicable, and retrieve my ID to readily resolve any confusion, and open the door to talk to officers.
    This covers how a person who has done nothing wrong should act when they receive a knock at their door. The problem with this is that as of 2011 there would be 311,591,917 people that would need to be trained in how to correctly react when someone knocks on their doors. Maybe a more logical approach would be to address those on the other side of the door?

    Michael

  11. #26
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,776
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I think we need to start at the source: the procedures the LEO's were using. The onus should not be on the man (granted..I think most of us would do things different). Point is fixing the the cause of the problem...not the actions after there was an oopsie. You can't predict nor tell folks how they should act when something happens. Procedures and protocols need to be established at the government level so this is not a possibility to begin with.
    Your point is valid. I certainly agree. However, this boils back to a perfect world vs. the world we live in. The challenge is that members of this forum will likely have little influence over that department, nor its policies. So we can rage against the machine, or we can discuss tactics to survive a broken system. That doesn't mean that we don't try to fix the system, but until we do, people still need good tactics in order to live to see that day.
    Yankeejib and wmhawth like this.
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  12. #27
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    Easy peasy: make the shooter personally responsible for discharging their weapon, just like civilians are. Second, prosecute cops just like you'd prosecute a civilian. It cannot be a coincidence that cops, who generally face less consequences for their shooting, are far more aggressive in choosing to shoot than civilians are.
    The person who sent them to the wrong address has no culpability? The person who might have made a false report leading to the encounter has no responsibility? Yes the officers killed an innocent person. But you have to look at everything that led up to that final moment when the life was taken.

    Michael

  13. #28
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    6,010
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Your point is valid. However, this boils back to a perfect world vs. the world we live in. The challenge is that members of this forum will likely have little influence over that department, nor its policies. So we can rage against the machine, or we can discuss tactics of surviving a broken system. That doesn't mean that we don't try to fix the system, but until we do, people still need good tactics in order to live to see that day.
    I politely disagree Count the number of folks on this forum, times by 10 (for family and friends that they can influence on they should act if this were to happen) and you don't make a scratch at helping others. What did one gentleman post (The problem with this is that as of 2011 there would be 311,591,917 people that would need to be trained in how to correctly react when someone knocks on their doors.).
    Nope, the problem is that the government is responsible and needs to be held to the fire. If that means law suits bankrupting towns and cities then maybe the citizens will get angry enough to have this behaviour stop. Please do not confuse this LEO bashing..it most certainly is not.

    I saw parts of the news video and there were statements by the spokesperson for the sherrifs office that said "when you point a gun at a deputy he will return fire" or something like that. Nothing about that it never should have happened to begin with.

    Yes, we train our kids what to do if there is a fire...but we really try to impress on them to not start the fire becasue once it starts no one can predict what will happen and the best training you gave the child could still result in a death.

  14. #29
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,776
    Suntzu, you're not really disagreeing. You're just emphasizing another approach that needs to be taken in tandem with coming up with tactics on how to handle this if it happens at our house tonight.

    That still leaves plenty of room for 'how would you handle this if it happened to you tonight' discussions in this thread.
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  15. #30
    VIP Member Array glockman10mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    9,505
    Apparently the deputies did not know they were at the wrong address. And since noone here was actually there, is it too far fetched to believe that the man may have aggressively displayed the firearm? And if you were in the shoes of the deputies, acting upon information you believed to be correct, and were met at the door with a firearm welding man, whom you believed according to your info to be the subjective of your search, wouldn't you fire?

    As much as I hear people here on this forum talk of aggressively " protecting the lives of myself and my family" I find it hard to believe that.

    And how many here formed an opinion so quickly on the Zimmerman shooting so quickly in it's early stages? Mind boggling stuff here.
    HotGuns, OD* and wmhawth like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

detainment of citizens without any charges
,
powered by mybb executive order
,

powered by mybb executive orders

,

powered by mybb knock and announce rule

Click on a term to search for related topics.