Off duty FBI shoots car thief

This is a discussion on Off duty FBI shoots car thief within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does the Castle Doctrine cover protecting your car parked out in the street? Qns. FBI agent shoots guy busting into his car By LARRY CELONA, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Off duty FBI shoots car thief

Off duty FBI shoots car thief

Does the Castle Doctrine cover protecting your car parked out in the street?

Qns. FBI agent shoots guy busting into his car
    By LARRY CELONA, JOSH MARGOLIN and BOB FREDERICKS
    Posted: 2:10 AM, July 19, 2012

They picked the wrong car to mess with.

An off-duty FBI agent opened fire from his bedroom window on three punks breaking into his ride in Queens just before dawn yesterday — striking one of the perps in the back, sources told The Post.

The agent’s wife was nursing the couple’s 5-week-old child at about 5 a.m. when she heard a car alarm go off, sources said.

She looked out the window and saw three men trying to steal a radio after removing the front passenger window from the couple’s red Lexus in South Ozone Park.

“She started banging on the window but they didn’t stop,” a source said.

Photos: Ellis Kaplan
    RED ALERT! The alleged thieves didn’t know what a poor choice they had made in targeting the red Lexus of an armed federal agent whose bedroom window overlooked the scene.

“He knew he hit one of them because the guy fell to the ground. The other two guys dragged him into their car and drove off” in a black Nissan sedan driven by a fourth suspect, a source said.
    The agent’s wife called 911. A law-enforcement source said it sounds as if she’s yelling, “Shoot!” on the tape of the call.
    Cops canvassed the area and local medical facilities and found the wounded suspect and two of his pals at Brookdale Hospital, where he was in the ICU being treated for a lower back wound.

Sources identified him as Adrian Ricketts, 23, of Canarsie, Brooklyn, who has a record that includes robbery.
    The other suspects were identified as Lyster Hensford, 23, of Flatbush, who has priors for burglary and possession of stolen property, and Shamarie Jackson, 28, of Crown Heights, whose rap sheet includes more than 20 busts for petty thefts and other crimes.

Cops are seeking the getaway driver, who they suspect is Ricketts’ brother, the sources said.

cont........

Read more: FBI agent plugs punk who allegedly broke into his car - NYPOST.com

In NY, you can only use deadly force as a civilian to stop rape, arson or someone in your home, but not to protect property.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scott625 View Post
    Does the Castle Doctrine cover protecting your car parked out in the street?

In NY, you can only use deadly force as a civilian to stop rape, arson or someone in your home, but not to protect property.
    In North Carolina you may only use deadly force if you are in imminent danger of death or grave bodily harm, shooting someone from your window for breaking into your car will guarantee a charge for at least attempted murder.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

n NY, you can only use deadly force as a civilian to stop rape, arson or someone in your home, but not to protect property.
    That only applies to non-LEO's. Us regular folks don't get to step outside of the boundaries without consequence and just say oops (like the cop who shot the wrong guy while at the wrong address).

His wife is heard yelling "Shoot!"? Hm. What I find more surprising than that is the other suspects haven't flipped on the getaway driver.. seems as if everybody snitches on everybody these days.
    mcgyver210 and PIMking like this.

VIP Member
    Having a good friend in the FBI I can say that there are probably things in the car that he didn't want stolen. My buddy had a 10mm MP5 and other goodies in his trunk all the time.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Having a good friend in the FBI I can say that there are probably things in the car that he didn't want stolen. My buddy had a 10mm MP5 and other goodies in his trunk all the time.
    Doesn't make him above the law period Fair is Fair but when it comes to enforcing the LAW on the LAW we all know it is never equal consequences.

Now with all that said I believe we all should be able to protect ourselves & property from bad people but I highly doubt anyone of us non FBI types would be free without bond after shooting from a window at someone trying to steal our car no matter what we had in the car at the time.
    MisterMoo and aznav like this.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.
    ALSO I don't HATE LEOs I just Hold them to a Higher Standard of the LAW & nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this

...here we go again

In Tx we could blast him and get an attaboy from the Sheriff
    FLArmadillo, pfries and ep1953 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Leaving deadly weapons in a vehicle and a automatic weapon at that is just down right dumb.... That weapon should be brought inside and secured every night/day and never left in a vehicle so some punk can get a hold of that weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    Leaving deadly weapons in a vehicle and a automatic weapon at that is just down right dumb.... That weapon should be brought inside and secured every night/day and never left in a vehicle so some punk can get a hold of that weapon.
    In NY, at least in my county, leaving a handgun in the car constitutes failure to safeguard your firearm and would be cause to revoke my permit and seize all my handguns (assuming I left a pistol..not sure about other guns because they are done differently).

I guess the only question is whether they pointed a gun at him?

Quote Originally Posted by scott625 View Post
    In NY, at least in my county, leaving a handgun in the car constitutes failure to safeguard your firearm and would be cause to revoke my permit and seize all my handguns (assuming I left a pistol..not sure about other guns because they are done differently).
    Yeah, NY...
    Sorry man. Move? You can come to Florida, we'll trade an anti-gun ninny from Orlando to send up there to NY :)

Like Texas, in Florida, we're pretty pro "shoot 'em up". We can shoot someone breaking into the neighbors car if we feel it necessary to stop a "forcible felony" (not that I would, or think I should).
    And as far as I know, there is no law against storing a weapon in your vehicle here. Besides, cops do it all the time.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
    Doesn't make him above the law period Fair is Fair but when it comes to enforcing the LAW on the LAW we all know it is never equal consequences.

Now with all that said I believe we all should be able to protect ourselves & property from bad people but I highly doubt anyone of us non FBI types would be free without bond after shooting from a window at someone trying to steal our car no matter what we had in the car at the time.
    Except you have no idea what the law is. I'm quite sure that there are Federal laws/Guidelines that say that an agent can use lethal force in order to stop a felony in progress.

In fact I find it absolutely crazy that you think it's a bad thing that a federal LEO shot a bad guy that was committing a crime. I mean, really, was he supposed to buy the BG flowers and then let him steal his stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    You really have no idea what you're talking about and probably should stop and think before you start typing.
    pfries likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

I mean, really, was he supposed to buy the BG flowers and then let him steal his stuff?
    Not untill after he turns off the alarm, heads down with hot coco, and supplies them with additional tools to make it easier.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Except you have no idea what the law is. I'm quite sure that there are Federal laws/Guidelines that say that an agent can use lethal force in order to stop a felony in progress.

In fact I find it absolutely crazy that you think it's a bad thing that a federal LEO shot a bad guy that was committing a crime. I mean, really, was he supposed to buy the BG flowers and then let him steal his stuff?

You really have no idea what you're talking about and probably should stop and think before you start typing.
    Hm... Thank you for letting me know I didn't simplify my comment enough for you to understand the meaning, I will try to do better next time.

Just to simplify a little more I don't care who you are I firmly believe if anyone is committing a felony crime against you, your family, property etc it should be perfectly legal & acceptable to use Extreme Prejudice against them no matter who it is. Will I though, NO because if it had been me that shot at someone from a window I would be in jail or out on bond no matter how many weapons I left carelessly in a easily accessible vehicle.

Again I am very SORRY You really had no idea what I was talking about.
    ALSO I don't HATE LEOs I just Hold them to a Higher Standard of the LAW & nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
    Hm... Thank you for letting me know I didn't simplify my comment enough for you to understand the meaning, I will try to do better next time.

Just to simplify a little more I don't care who you are I firmly believe if anyone is committing a felony crime against you, your family, property etc it should be perfectly legal & acceptable to use Extreme Prejudice against them no matter who it is. Will I though, NO because if it had been me that shot at someone from a window I would be in jail or out on bond no matter how many weapons I left carelessly in a easily accessible vehicle.

Again I am very SORRY You really had no idea what I was talking about.
    Wow, excellent use of the passive aggressive flame technique.

I'm not going to try and be cute. I'm just quoting what you wrote and it implies that he is above the law. He was, in fact, ENFORCING the law because THAT IS WHAT WE "THE PEOPLE" PAY HIM TO DO.

He as a Federal LEO can legally shoot someone during the commission of a felony and we can't. Get over it.

As to the sentiment you posted in the second quote, I agree 100%. But that's not what you wrote the first time.

ETA: IANAL.
    Mark Twain:

Wow, excellent use of the passive aggressive flame technique.

I'm not going to try and be cute. I'm just quoting what you wrote and it implies that he is above the law. He was, in fact, ENFORCING the law because THAT IS WHAT WE "THE PEOPLE" PAY HIM TO DO.

He as a Federal LEO can legally shoot someone during the commission of a felony and we can't. Get over it.

As to the sentiment you posted in the second quote, I agree 100%. But that's not what you wrote the first time.

ETA: IANAL.

I always choose my words carefully but as I am not a good writer IMO it doesn't always have the meaning I intended which is why I have been known to edit my post many times before & after posting. I stand by what I already wrote. I don't think a FED is above the LAW he used deadly force from a window against thieves stealing property. If any of us did the same we would have been arrested for using deadly force to protect property in most states that is.

I will never just get over how the people making & enforcing our laws that are supposedly for safety & well being are exempt from them in most every conceivable situation.

As for me Flaming I just answered your accusation trust me if I Flame you it will be very obvious. I never have been a good little follower.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links