Banning as an immediate response

This is a discussion on Banning as an immediate response within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Many theaters banning costumes after Colorado shooting - KPTV - FOX 12 So, this is interesting - theaters are now banning costumes because of this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Banning as an immediate response

Distinguished Member

Many theaters banning costumes after Colorado shooting - KPTV - FOX 12

So, this is interesting - theaters are now banning costumes because of this shooter. Again, stupidity prevails. Now, if the "Emergency Exits" had alarms on them so they went off if someone exited through there, maybe some things would have been different. But banning costumes? So the guy was in a costume. He went out the doors and came back in dressed in armor and a gas mask. How would banning costumes stop any of this?

EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

How do they define a costume?

Michael

The reality of it is, they don't know what to do, but no one wants to look like they're not being responsive to this type of situation so they take the most immediate and obvious action they can.

Knee-jerk response based on emotion rather than thought to pander to the lowest common denominator.

Inoperable, ineffective and/or non-existent alarm mechanisms on emergency exit doors should be banned.

Ineffectual, patchwork bans on citizens arming themselves against crime when out in public should be banned.

Banning unprovoked violent behavior hasn't worked, so banning constumes should do the trick ...

Encroachment of the 2A was expressly banned in the Constitution, yet was ignored in favor of petty, podunk patchworks all over the states.

Don't get me started. Just keeping up with all the stupidity being flung around by the anti-this / anti-that talking heads is hard enough.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    And for all of the stupid things they do, they don't realize that they will not stop someone determined to kill by banning anything. Heck, someone could just steal a gasoline truck and plough it through a restaurant.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    And for all of the stupid things they do, they don't realize that they will not stop someone determined to kill by banning anything. Heck, someone could just steal a gasoline truck and plough it through a restaurant.
    BINGO!
    I've got nothing to add.
    Spirit51 and atctimmy like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

They need to look pro-active, like they're doing something to make people safer. This is a political move and nothing more.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    They need to look pro-active, like they're doing something to make people safer. This is a political move and nothing more.
    One would think people would prefer being safer than merely feeling like it as a result of some ineffectual political posturing. But then, common sense ain't as common as it once was.
    mcgyver210 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It happens. Who takes the fun out of America? Every election year something like this goes down. Sleeper cells? You can count on one thing........somebody is going to ruin things for the rest of us no matter what. If you can spot the terrorist before they strike...........you've got the green light to engage. I'll almost bet there will be a rash of no weapons signs posted across the country...coming soon to a theater near you. Some are worried about copy cats? How sick are we as a nation anyway? In the end....ruling out any security or protection of your own inside one of these enjoyment stockades. Nothing wrong with watching movies at home three weeks after they debut at three times the cost. When was the last time you looked an absolute stranger in the eye and realized what they might be capable of for good or evil? Psychos are paving the road for our future now. How did things get to this point? How is it I feel the government uses these irrational acts as more reason to control and protect us from ourselves. Like I've said before...trust is trust, and no teamwork on domestic soil. Who's ready, willing, and able to take down this gunman who wants to make history? How many feel their hands are tied in a similar circumstance? Who's ultimately to blame? Nobody who does this sort of thing should ever be taken alive IMO. What questions could they answer for all of mankind?

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    This is what most people want. In their mind doing something, anything proves that you care. It does not matter if what you do works, only that it shows you care. Most of our laws are based on that same principle.

Michael
    wmhawth likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    One would think people would prefer being safer than merely feeling like it as a result of some ineffectual political posturing. But then, common sense ain't as common as it once was.
    IMHO that whats gun control is all about. FEELING safer as opposed to actually BEING safer. But yes I definitely agree.

And also agree with Sig35seven-Its political.
    mcgyver210 likes this.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I think they should ban shoes in the theater (and provide scented "trees" to help with any odor issues that may arise as a necessary consequence), since the gunman had shoes on. Also, if there were broken glass strategically placed outside the exit doors, he wouldn't have wanted to go out there without his shoes, so the killing would have been prevented.

Let's start the NO-SHOE CAMPAIGN now!
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Maybe ban all nonsensical banning? I'm a l-o-n-g way from the sharpest tool in the shed, but it takes no more than the most common of sense to see the gaping holes in their knee-jerk logic. Now is not the time for emotion-based nonsense. It's impossible, in a free society, to stop a dedicated maniac. The question, for me at least, is how much of my individual responsibility to defend myself & my family am I willing to give-up to a social system that CAN NOT effectively provide for the same level of personal protection? I don't need another anti-gun legislative experiment to decide my answer. My answer is...NONE.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

It happens.

The reaction of "lets do something utterly stupid with no obvious deterrent to actual criminal activity" to make the world feel safer even though this stuff will not work, ever. However, instantly "we are banning costumes" and yeah, buddy, that sure will work to spread fear into the costume wearing, gun weilding mass murdering folks. For sure. I know that I would feel so much safer.

No law, sign, or ban will stop anyone who is bent on perpetrating any crime. You could have a million laws against it and a billion signs saying so, but a determined person does not care one iota about laws or signs or bans. Once they realize that it is ridiculous to keep making more and more laws and banning all the stupid sesnsless stuff and find a realistic solution, guys like this whack job will proceed with their deeds unimpeded.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links