Navy Seal Lessons Learned from Aurora Colorado - Page 2

Navy Seal Lessons Learned from Aurora Colorado

This is a discussion on Navy Seal Lessons Learned from Aurora Colorado within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The flashlight is probably the most overlooked tactic of all that has been covered on this incident. It certainly could've disoriented the shooter long enough ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Navy Seal Lessons Learned from Aurora Colorado

The flashlight is probably the most overlooked tactic of all that has been covered on this incident.

It certainly could've disoriented the shooter long enough for a few more to escape, engage, etc.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

THis is what I'm talking about
    JerryMac likes this.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Better stay away from the movies,hollywood is"NOT"real world.
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    THis is what I'm talking about

I know. I know, I was specifically talking about how the STROBE was used. It was cool and could effect like that although without the hollywood touch to it.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Flashlight ...had not thought of it. All the more reason to carry one

Sent using 2 cans and string

I dunno... A flashlight might make a pretty good target

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Good principles-all of them. I had forgotten about the flashlight.

As an aside, those who now carry but have never worn a gas mask would not be aware of the negatives that go along with them.

P.S. I've been wondering where that purple haired character came from!

I have used my strobe flashlight once when a drunk got froggy and it was completely disorienting. He folded up like a lawn chair.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I dunno... A flashlight might make a pretty good target
    I always carry a flashlight. As a plus you can get one like this Rechargeable Stun Gun Flashlight - 540632, Stunguns at Sportsman's Guide which can give you some more defensive capabilities. I carry something like this but shaped more like a pack of cigarettes that has a good LED light incorporated. I use it in theaters often to help folks retrieve lost keys and stuff. They never even know about the small electrodes on either side of the light. When I'm not carrying the stunlight, I'm carrying a Surefire or Fenix light that is 200+ Lumens for sure. You can also get a crenelated head for these that aids as a striking surface.

You don't have to use the Harries technique with the gun to be effective with the light if you're worried about offering your center of mass to a shooter in the dark. There is a technique offered by some LEOs that says bring the light high overhead and off to the side as you aim one handed with your firearm. TECHNIQUE! Remember there is only good technique rather than absolute right or wrong in any hostile situation.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; July 23rd, 2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Add content
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Good principles-all of them. I had forgotten about the flashlight.

As an aside, those who now carry but have never worn a gas mask would not be aware of the negatives that go along with them.
    I remember horrible days when I had to do everything from PT to rifle qualification in MOPP 4 gear. I grew to hate the mask. It was worse for me, one of my additional duties was as the NBC Officer for my rifle company.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thank you for your service to our country and thank you for these clearly stated lessons. It's a crying shame our fellow citizens aren't hearing your words of wisdom on the TV "news" instead of the steady drumbeat of mindless drivel being rebroadcast ad nauseum on this topic.
    "The problem with trusting quotes on the internet is they're so hard to authenticate." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    I know. I know, I was specifically talking about how the STROBE was used. It was cool and could effect like that although without the hollywood touch to it.
    I know my wife and I did a drill at home, i have a glock with a strobe / laser mounted on it, i went to the rear of the house, and believe me, when she found me in the corner of the bedroom, all i could do, was cover my eyes, and there was a red dot on my chest....sure glad i kept the magazine in my pocket....just wanting to see how that it would work, if I ever had to use it, and did the same drill with her....it is a pretty amazing weapon, in my book, the strobe light, and then the 40 cal. hollowpoints that follow would help a lot too....just sayin....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

I carry a 150 lumen flash / strobe light on me at all times, not that big of a unit, but feel it would be very usefull in the right situation.... course the strobe light from a double tap is pretty bright too....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Thanks for the post and your service! My girlfriend always makes fun of me and says I'm paranoid for doing things like this. I just tell her its better to do it and not need it than not do it and have somethin actually happen. She appreciates it but feels like its unneeded, just little stuff like in our bed I sleep closest to the door or if we take a walk I have to be the one closest to the road, just in case I need to shove her out of the way, and stuff like that wherever we go

I always have a 230 lumen light with me. Tactical lights give an advantage. Plus around here, tornado alley, if the power goes out in a storm you can see.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links