Navy Seal Lessons Learned from Aurora Colorado

This is a discussion on Navy Seal Lessons Learned from Aurora Colorado within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by glockrocker What Team and when? Brandon Webb is the real deal. After serving as a SAR swimmer he went to BUD/S. After ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Navy Seal Lessons Learned from Aurora Colorado

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    What Team and when?
    Brandon Webb is the real deal. After serving as a SAR swimmer he went to BUD/S. After being a SEAL for a while he became a sniper. He has written 2 books that I know of. The 21st Century Sniper: A Complete Practical Guide and The Red Circle which is a memoir type book.

That said, I hate the comment about the flashlight. I hate to think someone may think that it would be effective from the opposite end of a theater or something. This is one time distance is not your friend. But then, I have a feeling most people reading SOFREP would know better.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

2. Remove Ads

This is likely the best single article I have read about the Aroura incident. Thank you for posting it!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

This is really good stuff.......very useful and informative. I need to get a good strobe and light for defensive carry. Thank you for sharing, and for your service - from a fellow Naval Service guy.

Why not hold the flashlight over your head to the right or left? At least they won't hit center mass if aiming for the light.

I use this guy.

Focus Zoom Lens Cree Q3 Flashlight Torch Light Lamp

I blind co-workers in the daytime under fluorescent lights. (No strobe though)

Quote Originally Posted by tszpara View Post
    Why not hold the flashlight over your head to the right or left? At least they won't hit center mass if aiming for the light.
    Yeah, I suggested this in my post #24.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Not a seal or anything close to it. I did spend a bit of time in the infantry. I don't carry a high lumen flash light around but I do know it would be very hard to even come close to targeting the light when your blinded by it. Been through some of that training lights in the eyes flash bangs normal stuff. The ones we had on M4 were something like 100-150 Lumen depending on when the were made. Daughter has one on her HD shot gun 150 lumen it will flat blind you in a house even in a well lit room it will cause trouble seeing.
    One thing we both agree on is do something. Not everyone can do something those that have been there know this some will act in a hart beat others may be a bit slower some just can't.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I remember horrible days when I had to do everything from PT to rifle qualification in MOPP 4 gear. I grew to hate the mask. It was worse for me, one of my additional duties was as the NBC Officer for my rifle company.
    My first AIT at Ft. Gordon in the late 80's one of the last things we had to do before graduation was spend 8 hours in our MOPP gear. I think we upped the MOPP level every two hours untill we were in MOPP 4. Total time in MOPP 4 was 2 hours. It sucked!

Thanks for the information and good advice.

RKM
    Aww, my Streamlight ProTac 2L is only 180 lumens :( Oh well, it'll do :D

I have 120 lumens Streamlight Polytac on my rifles and can hardly tell the difference, between 120 and 180. The difference, in my opinion is pretty minimal.

Good thought, though I'd fear a bright light may attract attention rather than allow me to escape due to blinding the attacker.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links