BAD: Rochelle Riley: We have no right to despair when our culture OKs assault weapons

BAD: Rochelle Riley: We have no right to despair when our culture OKs assault weapons

This is a discussion on BAD: Rochelle Riley: We have no right to despair when our culture OKs assault weapons within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This article really set me off this morning. At least ten time I have started to respond to it and the associated comments, but stopped ...

Thread: BAD: Rochelle Riley: We have no right to despair when our culture OKs assault weapons

This article really set me off this morning. At least ten time I have started to respond to it and the associated comments, but stopped myself because I could not get it all down without sounding like a raving lunatic. I will have to calm my nerves a bit and generate a well thought out response.

Rochelle Riley: We have no right to despair when our culture OKs assault weapons | Rochelle Riley | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

I had never heard of Rochelle Riley but apparently she has a blog and posts a commentary in the Detroit Free Press. Not exactly a heavy hitter. I'll let you guess how much her opinion matters to me.

mkh
    She is a nutcase but she is partially right. We don't care. If you are too stupid to arm yourselves and you get caught up in something like this then its your own fault and we don't care.

The most upvoted comments are critical of her post. Most heartening to see.

Many of the shooting incidents she cites did not involve assault rifles...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

So, is Detroit now some sort of Think Tank Mecca full of brilliant social observers who have build a magical utopian paradise in Michigan and can now instruct us on the proper method of achieving the same nirvana across America?!? Give me a Detroit Free Press break!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Ummm yall think these people understand that dead by a so called assault rifle.... is exactly the same as dead from a baseball bat?... and do they understand that absent a firearm... this mutt was capable of using explosives ?

She is one of THOSE NUTS THAT THINKS GUNS COMMIT CRIMES.

The Liberals will NEVER get it,,,,, PEOPLE COMMIT CRIMES ,,,,, she
    believes SHE has the SUPERIOR INTELLECT to TELL YOU WHAT YOU CAN HAVE.
    This paper and just about every PRINTED newspaper I have seen
    is LIBERAL,,,,, and spout out THEIR OPINIONS,,,,, not what there READERS BELIEVE,,,,
    they are living in the PAST and believe THEIR OPINIONS count more that the people's
    ,,,,, ONE oF the GIANT reasons the PRINTED MEDIA is DEAD or fast dieing,,,, they
    REPRESENT THEMSELVES ONLY.

it was very difficult to read some of the responses. some people are just plain 'stoopid'.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Many of the shooting incidents she cites did not involve assault rifles...
    That is exactly what I am thinking. We had an assault weapons ban at the same time Columbine happened. Didn't stop Harris & Klebold from shooting up the school. They used pistols and a shotgun. The VT shooter had neither a shotgun or rifle and killed more people than anyone else in this country's history. He had just two pistols one of which was a .22. Banning "assault weapons" will not stop the mass shootings. We don't have a gun problem in this country, we have a people problem.

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk 2

With this statement you're assuming that the anti-gunners use any sort of logic. My observation of such people is that they take an illogical argument and think that if they say it enough time, intelligent folks will believe it. Folks were killing each other long before guns came along!!
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    With this statement you're assuming that the anti-gunners use any sort of logic. My observation of such people is that they take an illogical argument and think that if they say it enough time, intelligent folks will believe it. Folks were killing each other long before guns came along!!
    Cain used a rock...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Sponsored Links