You knew it..

This is a discussion on You knew it.. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by noway2 When you open a business over a certain size to the public you no longer have all the "private property" rights ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: You knew it..

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    When you open a business over a certain size to the public you no longer have all the "private property" rights intact. There are regulations and laws that you must comply with.

Also with regards to private property vs right of defense, they can take their "property rights" and shove them in a very private place. I will play don't ask, don't tell and property rights be damned. This incident has really strengthened my conviction in this regard.
    I play like that too. I don't expect anyone to be responsible for my safety, I will cover my own butt and the family with me.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I can't help but wonder if the kid sought out the lawyer, or if the lawyer found the kid.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    If they didn't prohibit law abiding citizens from carrying a firearm into the theater they would have an easier time dealing with this lawsuit (and I'm sure many more to follow).
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

On the theater not being liable for patrons safety. What if the theater caught on fire and the emergency doors didn't function? And people died. So, I believe there is 'some' responsibility on a private business to the safety of customers. If this translates into the situation in Colorado shooting I don't know. But private businesses that do business with the 'public' are responsible for their safety, maybe just not in the case of the shooting.
    beararms likes this.
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

Sueing Warner Bros? Seriously? There are a million more movies out there more violent than Batman.

NRA Member
    Gen4 G23

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8th ID View Post
    On the theater not being liable for patrons safety. What if the theater caught on fire and the emergency doors didn't function? And people died. So, I believe there is 'some' responsibility on a private business to the safety of customers. If this translates into the situation in Colorado shooting I don't know. But private businesses that do business with the 'public' are responsible for their safety, maybe just not in the case of the shooting.
    Whether they are or are not completely liable there are a few facts.

1. They did not allow their customers the opportunity to protect themselves, nor did they provide any protection.
    2. They did not have an alarm on the emergency exit.

These are two issues that could have drastically changed the outcome of that day. Whether they are "legally" responsible or not, they will be spending LOTS of money to try to get out of this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by zombieslayer View Post
    I think this is a lazy weak kid looking for a meal ticket or he would not even be trying to sue WB. I hope he gets nothing. Disgusting.
    Agree 100%. Looking for a quick buck while walking on and over the true victims
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    I think it is too soon to file. The dead are not all buryed yet, more investigations and other police/ DA filings. Must be a money hungary ambulence chaser lawyer getting this one going. There will be some huge settlements coming at some point.

I wonder if I can get in on the suit? I have some "extreme trauma" from all of the news media. I am very sorry about the guys friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Whether they are or are not completely liable there are a few facts.

1. They did not allow their customers the opportunity to protect themselves, nor did they provide any protection.
    2. They did not have an alarm on the emergency exit.

These are two issues that could have drastically changed the outcome of that day. Whether they are "legally" responsible or not, they will be spending LOTS of money to try to get out of this.
    They also did not preform strip searches, cavity checks or do background checks of those entering.

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    They also did not preform strip searches, cavity checks or do background checks of those entering.

Michael
    another reason I don't go to the movies any more...... cavity checks are not my thing,,, but I score very high on the background check.

Quote Originally Posted by KZinOKC View Post
    I don't see it this way at all. The theater is private property, and owners can decide whether they want guns allowed on their property. It then becomes a choice on the patron whether they want to enter this property under those conditions. The property owner is under no obligation to "protect" people, no more than the police are under an obligation to "protect" citizens.
    When the police have "To protect and serve" on the sides of their vehicles, don't you feel that they should have some responsibility to live up to the advertising? If a cop says "Hey dude. You're on your own. Hope you're carrying and have a permit." Do you think he might be derelict in his duty just a tiny bit?
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    When the police have "To protect and serve" on the sides of their vehicles, don't you feel that they should have some responsibility to live up to the advertising? If a cop says "Hey dude. You're on your own. Hope you're carrying and have a permit." Do you think he might be derelict in his duty just a tiny bit?
    Next you will be demanding that politicians keep their promises and the car salesmen tell the truth about how many miles a cars has on it.
    Sheesh.

Michael

Sueing Warner Bros? Seriously? There are a million more movies out there more violent than Batman.
    I think it's clear that the film's content had zero to do with anything ... other than being a popular draw. The goal was carnage, as such the venue selected was one that was certain to be heavily populated, enclosed, and with a layout that made rapid exit hard to achieve for the majority of people. A reasonably good killing field, given all the "advantages" (as viewed from the perspective of a person wanting to reap maximal damage).

It's also clear that the only reason to name a group like Warner Brothers as defendants is: money, the hope of a cash settlement that makes a number of people rich, in spite of the film having nothing to do with anything. May the jurors see such callous money grubbing for what it is.

IMO, there are two primary parties liable: the alleged murderer who reaped his 15mins of fame; and the state of Colorado, for daring to criminalize citizens for exercising their right to defend themselves effectively in such a place, thereby ensuring all lawful citizens would be disarmed and at the mercy of the state-imposed, no-guns-in-hands-of-citizens, criminal-empowerment zone.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    another reason I don't go to the movies any more...... cavity checks are not my thing,,, but I score very high on the background check.
    Ehh, depends on who's doing the cav.....nevermind

"No Guns" signs have no more legal weight in Colorado than "No Outside Food or Drink".
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; July 27th, 2012 at 05:58 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links