You knew it..

You knew it..

This is a discussion on You knew it.. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; First Aurora suit filed: It Begins: First Lawsuit From ‘Batman’ Massacre Filed | TheBlaze.com...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: You knew it..

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

"someone has to be responsible" They forgot that they already have that person in custody. To Their second point, who would think someone walking in and shooting a theater up would be part of a regular movie going experience? Makes no sense.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

I can actually see suing the theater. Kind of. If the kid was on meds, maybe the docs didn't do their due diligence? Not much they can do to ensure patients take meds though. They can't follow them around. Suing the theater though. If it was an emergency door he entered through, it should be alarmed. That's an oversight which, if true, lumps some blame on the theater. Suing WB though? That's a serious stretch. Everyone knows the Batman movies are violent. It says so on the rating. That's like suing Budweiser because you got drunk and ran off the road. Everyone knows alcohol makes you drunk. It's your fault for imbibing too much. Idiot.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

If anything I think the theater should be sued for making it a criminal empowerment zone with their no weapons policy.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    If anything I think the theater should be sued for making it a criminal empowerment zone with their no weapons policy.
    This. They removed the ability of patrons to defend themselves and did not provide security measures of their own.

With that said, I think the lawsuits are ridiculous. We are way too litigious as a society, and as was said, the person responsible is in custody.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I think this is a lazy weak kid looking for a meal ticket or he would not even be trying to sue WB. I hope he gets nothing. Disgusting.
    msgt/ret, W9HDG, Dandyone and 1 others like this.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this what caused WM to stop posting gunbusters for the most part?

Seems I remember reading about a lawsuit where the plaintiff argued if a private business denied a person the right to defend themselves while on the property then the business had the responsibility to provide adequate security...
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by pattywak View Post
    "someone has to be responsible" They forgot that they already have that person in custody. To Their second point, who would think someone walking in and shooting a theater up would be part of a regular movie going experience? Makes no sense.
    Yep, somebody has to be held responsible. I just don't want that responsible person to be me. Warner Brothers came to my house and forcibly kidnapped me and took me to the theater and forced me to buy a ticket and sit there and watch that movie. I had absolutely no control over it. None whatsoever. The bad old studio made me do it and now they should pay because I deserve to be rich. This is America. Everybody deserves to be rich, and if you're not, you sue people until you are. Good luck with your lawsuit Mr Brown. Thinking like that is what made America great.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I don't see it this way at all. The theater is private property, and owners can decide whether they want guns allowed on their property. It then becomes a choice on the patron whether they want to enter this property under those conditions. The property owner is under no obligation to "protect" people, no more than the police are under an obligation to "protect" citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this what caused WM to stop posting gunbusters for the most part?

Seems I remember reading about a lawsuit where the plaintiff argued if a private business denied a person the right to defend themselves while on the property then the business had the responsibility to provide adequate security...
    Was this plaintiff successful?

I don't remember, I'll try to find specifics...

I was hoping someone else who's had a little more sleep than me lately would remember.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4

IMO, it's a wonderful opportunity for a pro-gun victim to bring suit against the state under the claim that forcible criminalization of no-firearms at such places deprives citizens of the right to defend themselves from crime in openly-accessible venues. A la the Suzanna Gratia-Hupp lawsuit, following the Luby's Cafe massacre in Texas.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; July 27th, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KZinOKC View Post
    I don't see it this way at all. The theater is private property (snip)
    When you open a business over a certain size to the public you no longer have all the "private property" rights intact. There are regulations and laws that you must comply with.

Also with regards to private property vs right of defense, they can take their "property rights" and shove them in a very private place. I will play don't ask, don't tell and property rights be damned. This incident has really strengthened my conviction in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

IMO, it's a wonderful opportunity for a pro-gun victim to bring suit against the state under the claim that forcible criminalization of no-firearms at such places deprives citizens of the right to defend themselves from crime in openly-accessible venues. A la the Suzanna Gratia-Hupp lawsuit, following the Luby's Cafe massacre in Texas.
    Thanx for that one...

Read up on Suzanna Hupp and found this interesting clip...

Suzanna Gratia Hupp decided to fight back. She set out to change the foolish laws. She turned her anger

on her legislators who had “legislated me out of the right to protect myself and my family.” She joined the

crusade for the right to carry concealed weapons in Texas and she ran for the state legislature. She was

successful on both counts, though not in time to save the lives of her parents.

Today, Rep. Hupp has some harsh words for those gun-control fanatics who come out of the woodwork

every time there’s a mass slaying like Columbine. “Why is it that mass shootings now seem to always take

place in schools and post offices, places where guns are not allowed? They’re always in these so-called

gun-free safety zones.” Like Luby’s cafeteria.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; July 27th, 2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: grammar
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4

Although I hate seeing those gunbuster signs as much as the next guy, you still have the right to use Netflix instead if you feel unsafe there.

That said, i'm sure we will see a lot more money grabs before this is over. I feel for the victims, but its sickening when a situation like this becomes about money. Disgusting.

Phew! I lived. That was close! Now who can I blame? ......no, not that guy....who can I blame that I can get money out of?.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links