BAD: CCW Negligent Discharge injures child

This is a discussion on BAD: CCW Negligent Discharge injures child within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; i have the xd 40 and was told there's no way this gun fires when dropped....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: BAD: CCW Negligent Discharge injures child

i have the xd 40 and was told there's no way this gun fires when dropped.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Calling45 View Post
    “The bullet struck Canady in the buttock, then ricochet on the floor and broke into pieces,” KDFW reported. Two children and a woman were also wounded when they were struck by bullet fragments.

Other reports indicated that the bullet grazed Canady’s leg he when dropped the Springfield .40-caliber semi-automatic pistol. Shards of concrete from the floor were said to have caused the wounds to the woman and children.
    How can the bullet drop to the floor, shoot upward, and then the bullet magically come down to the floor, shattering into pieces and striking bystanders with ricochet? There's gotta be a second shooter from the grassy knoll!

Seriously, while feeling for his wallet, he probably he felt the gun slipping. He then reached in and tried to grab on to the gun. In this tense situation, he forgot to get his booger hook out of the trigger, and he grabbed just a little too hard...

Quote Originally Posted by Jollymann View Post
    By the way a felon is someone engaged in a felony. Or ought to be convicted of a felony offense. An ex-felon is someone who has been released and is no longer an offender. Therefore ex-felon. Simple.
    Nope. A "felon" is one who has committed a felonious act, period. The word says nothing about judicial status.

"Ex-felon" makes as much sense as "ex-mother" or "ex-Marine."
    BugDude and Echo_Four like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

You can't easily predict who's going to be a safe, responsible gun owner and who will not be. Someone may commit a crime, but truly reform later in life. Alternatively, someone may be a total idiot when it comes to handling a gun, but he/she may have an otherwise blameless record and life. This is really down to character and ability, and we just cannot legislate for that.

This to me is the biggest problem with guns in society. It's a powerful tool, and whatever stupidity, laziness, or wickedness its owner has is amplified many, many times. This will affect not just the individual in question, but also the people around him or her. Sometimes it will kill them. This is something that law cannot possibly cover.

I don't view this as the "price of freedom." I'll still have my freedom if I exterminate every single one of these stupid people. If anything, this is the price we pay for permitting stupid people to live amongst us, so this is the price of humanity.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollymann View Post
    Probably was Mexican Style Carry. Probably had it on the same side as the billfold. Reached down inside the pants instead of inside the pocket. Tripped the trigger. I've carryed Mexcan Style before. Sometimes you just want to get the thing on and do your business and not do the whole belt up routine. Sometimes it's raining and you don't want to stand there in it getting wet. In any case if you're doing Mexican style carry, you have to be extra careful about the belt tension for one, since if it's too loose it dislodges, and two, the trigger being more exposed.

D.J.
    According to the article it was in a IWB holster.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

That cant have been holstered. On an xd? So the guy palmed the grip safety put his finger in the trigger guard and then pulled the trigger?
    Jollymann likes this.

The anti's are having a field day with this. Bad timing right after Aurora.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    This reminds me of a piece of advice I received from my Dad as a teenager. Something about letting people think you're something rather than saying something and proving it. I don't know, that was many moons ago.
    Better to remain silent and have people think you're an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    BugDude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Nope. A "felon" is one who has committed a felonious act, period. The word says nothing about judicial status.

Exactly. Well, "convicted" of a felony, not just committed, but there's no such thing as an "ex-felon".

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    According to the article it was in a IWB holster.

Can someone tell me how he could have done that with an iwb holster. He shouldnt have even had his hand on the grip safety.

Did he pull the trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    Can someone tell me how he could have done that with an iwb holster. He shouldnt have even had his hand on the grip safety.

Did he pull the trigger?
    I have customers who come into the store and assume they can buy a holster, and the gun they're carrying is going to fit it properly. If that is the case, then why do Bianchi, Galco, Blackhawk, and a vast many others make holsters for a particular model, make of gun?
    Last week, I had a customer come up to me holding a Blackhawk Serpa holster made for a 1911. He tells me he has a S&W model 3913 and wishes to try it to see if it fits. I explain to him, that it (the S&W 3913) is a completly different frame/design than the 1911, but he wants to make sure. Ok, I humor him, and with that, after finding thathis gun won't fit, he now wants to try a Serpa designed for a H&K USP. He now finds the gun fits, BUT it's loose as a goose in the holster. I tell him not to buy it, cuz it's Dangerous to use a holster of this design (designed for the H&K USP) and NOT his gun, but he tells me it (works for him) I tell him I'll check Blackhawk's website, and find nothing fits his gun, with the exception of a leather holster they make. I tell him I can order it, or he can purchase it via Blackhawk, but he is comfy with the ill-fitting holster.
    End of story is that some people are willing to take the chance of a AD or a ND in order to get a holster that isn't designed for the particular gun they're carrying. cuz it (works for them)
    Note: There are some newer design holsters out there, that WILL work for older model guns, but won't fit perfectly.
    This may indeed may have been the case in the accidental discharge that ocurred, injuring the child.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Maybe the fool just had a belly band or something like that. Not there's anything wrong with belly bands, but I don't see how it could've been in any kind of holster -- ill-fitting or not -- and gone off on him. Every holster I've ever seen covers the trigger guard but belly bands and their ilk do not.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

Couldn't agree more. You can pay for the crime but you are still a convicted felon. No such thing as ex-felon.

Are there folks that have turned their life around and are now good law abiding citizens, most likely. But still a convicted felon.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
    Couldn't agree more. You can pay for the crime but you are still a convicted felon. No such thing as ex-felon.

Are there folks that have turned their life around and are now good law abiding citizens, most likely. But still a convicted felon.
    A good friend of my son (in their 20's) is teaching English in China now. We told him he'd get kidnapped for his organs but so far (as we know) he's OK and liking it pretty well. So why did he leave his family and friends to go Commie across the globe? He's a convicted felon. Without breaking the law he basically can't do anything in this country. All I'm saying is, if you're committing felonies don't get caught because you'll never be an "ex-felon".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links