Bad: Man arrested, house searched found to have "arsenal" and "stash" of ammo

This is a discussion on Bad: Man arrested, house searched found to have "arsenal" and "stash" of ammo within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was reading an article this morning (sorry, can't find the link now) where a man was arrested for making some threatening statements and the ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By barstoolguru

Thread: Bad: Man arrested, house searched found to have "arsenal" and "stash" of ammo

I was reading an article this morning (sorry, can't find the link now) where a man was arrested for making some threatening statements and the article went on to say that in a search of the man's house he had an "arsenal" of 20 weapons and a "stash" of ammo consisting of "almost 400 rounds!!!"

I thought to myself as I read it, "Decent size starter collection of guns, but he doesn't have any ammo." They were making it out like he had all this ammo. In general terms, if a person is someone who shoots on a regular basis, that's not really that many guns and hardly any ammo at all...especially if you have multiple calibers. I can go through 400 rounds of ammo on a Saturday morning before coffee and a biscuit.

Then I got to thinking about the box of 500 .22 rounds in my truck from the last time I went to the range. I could just see a reporter making it sound like I was loaded up if I had my snub 38 in the truck with a box of 22lr under the back seat. "He had a gun and 500 rounds of ammo in his car!!" There would be no mention of it being a 5 shot revolver and the 22 rounds not even being usable in the gun being carried. The media spin is all about sensationalism. I'm anticipating that some anti will suggest a legal limit on the total amount of ammo a person can possess (if they haven't already).
    goldshellback likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    This may be the incident you are referring to; guy is a total fool, you get fired just suck it up and look for a new job. Calling someone and making death threats will get you noticed and the reaction will not be pleasant.

Man calling himself 'a joker' threatened shooting

PALMER PARK, Md. — Calling himself "a joker," a Maryland man with an arsenal of guns threatened to shoot up a business he was being fired from, and was wearing a T-shirt that said "Guns don't kill people. I do" when police confronted him, authorities said Friday.

The 28-year-old man, identified in a search warrant as Neil E. Prescott, told a supervisor at software and mailroom supplier Pitney Bowes that he wanted to see his boss' "brain splatter all over the sidewalk," according to police and an application for a search warrant.

"I'm a joker and I'm gonna load my guns and blow everybody up," Prescott said, according to the document.

The threats were made repeatedly in two separate phone calls this week, and investigators who searched Prescott's apartment Friday morning found several thousand rounds of ammunition and about two dozen semi-automatic rifles and pistols. The weapons so far appear to have been acquired legally but are still being examined, said Mike Campbell, a spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Prescott was taken into custody at his apartment Friday and was receiving a psychiatric evaluation at a hospital. He was not expected to be charged Friday, the Prince George's County police department said on Twitter.

"We can't measure what was prevented here, but what was going on over the last 36 hours was a significant incident in the county. And we think a violent episode was avoided," said county police Chief Mark Magaw.
    Man calling himself 'a joker' threatened shooting :: WRAL.com
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sometimes we think too much. Sometimes we see things that we think were thought about that make us think, but we are mistaken in thinking that those who thought about these things were actually thinking at the time. We learn in two ways.......from our own mistakes, and others' mistakes. The only two things we actually have a right to know under a suppressive government.
    We're all subject to 'homeland security' these days. Whenever you think you're at risk.....you are. Plain and simple. Keep thinking about it and let me know what you really think. The examples you see in the media now are a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Then I got to thinking about the box of 500 .22 rounds in my truck from the last time I went to the range. I could just see a reporter making it sound like I was loaded up if I had my snub 38 in the truck with a box of 22lr under the back seat. "He had a gun and 500 rounds of ammo in his car!!" There would be no mention of it being a 5 shot revolver and the 22 rounds not even being usable in the gun being carried. The media spin is all about sensationalism. I'm anticipating that some anti will suggest a legal limit on the total amount of ammo a person can possess (if they haven't already).
    That is very true. And pretty pathetic. O'Reilly was really showing his firearm ignorance the other day after the Aurora CO. shooting. Several people tried to set him straight, but you know Bill... He knows everything. I'm not slamming him, but in this case, he's like all the other on air media people. They think they know everything about guns, and don't think accuracy in what they say is very important.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Non Gun people would think 100 rounds of ammunition is a lot,I still get PO'd when that lady on the View said he had a gun that could shoot 100 rounds in 8/10 of a second,but the news people don't care about accurate facts it's all about sensationalism
    BugDude likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I didn't know the mini guns were up on the private market but she makes enough spouting her crap she could afford to own one and feed it too. (sarcasm off)

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Sometimes we think too much. Sometimes we see things that we think were thought about that make us think, but we are mistaken in thinking that those who thought about these things were actually thinking at the time. We learn in two ways.......from our own mistakes, and others' mistakes. The only two things we actually have a right to know under a suppressive government.
    We're all subject to 'homeland security' these days. Whenever you think you're at risk.....you are. Plain and simple. Keep thinking about it and let me know what you really think. The examples you see in the media now are a warning.
    Dude, that's too much thinking for me...it makes my head hurt.

Point being the media thinks having 400 rounds at home is a whole lot, when to me it really isn't. I probably keep a bare minumum of 2,000 rounds at any given point in time...and that's when I consider myself "Out of Ammo."

I guess I have an armory then
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

GH
    Two 50 - round boxes of carry ammo, 400 rounds of range ammo - gee, I must be a terrorist! I can't beat this guy-in-question's gun count, though. I'd sure like to.

The media reporters always show their complete & total ignorance of firearms, don't they? Let's just hope & pray that this guy who was arrested wasn't a legal gun owner & CCW licensee.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I was always thinking i needed more, but apparently I have a stash already. What is next? Are there degrees of excess? I see pfries has an armory. I need a scale to figure this out.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

You can just imagine some anti-gunners suggesting rationing of guns and ammo. Limit 1 rifle, 1 shotgun, and 1 handgun with a limit of a dozen rounds on hand for each one at any given time. Let's certainly hope it never comes to anything like that.

LOL - 400 rounds is what I have in the range bag.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

I though with the heat and the dry weather the nuts were going to be smaller this year; I guess I was wrong
    BugDude likes this.

I only have 6 guns, wish I could afford 20. I do have about 3,000 rounds to cover the calibers I have and I feel that is inadequate!

Sponsored Links