Texas: Gun 'accident' victim dies; suspect now faces manslaughter charges

This is a discussion on Texas: Gun 'accident' victim dies; suspect now faces manslaughter charges within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; July 29, 2012 9:50 PM By GAIL BURKHARDT/The Monitor PHARR – A 17-year-old girl died early Sunday morning after being accidentally shot in the head ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Ionracas
  • 4 Post By lordofwyr

Thread: Texas: Gun 'accident' victim dies; suspect now faces manslaughter charges

July 29, 2012 9:50 PM

By GAIL BURKHARDT/The Monitor

PHARR – A 17-year-old girl died early Sunday morning after being accidentally shot in the head at a home in Pharr.

Eliezer Sanchez Jr., 19, was arraigned on a manslaughter charge Sunday afternoon for shooting Jessica Saldivar in the head about 5 a.m. Saturday at a house in the 6800 block of South Azul Lane. Municipal Judge Rodolfo “Rudy” Martinez set Sanchez’s bond at $50,000.

Sanchez told police investigators that he had pulled the trigger of the .38-caliber revolver not knowing that it was loaded, according to the criminal complaint. Four witnesses provided sworn statements that the shooting was accidental.

Saldivar was rushed to the hospital where she later died about 3 a.m. Sunday.

No family members or other members of the public attended Sanchez’s arraignment Sunday afternoon. Sanchez said he did not have an attorney.

Pharr police Chief Ruben Villescas said Saturday that Sanchez was charged with aggravated assault, a second-degree felony, for recklessly causing serious bodily injury to Sanchez.

When Sanchez died of her injuries, the charge was increased to manslaughter.

A person commits manslaughter when he or she recklessly causes the death of another, according to the Texas Penal Code. Manslaughter is a second-degree felony and it carries two to 20 years in prison and a maximum fine of $10,000 upon conviction.

Gun 'accident' victim dies; suspect now faces manslaughter charges | gun, manslaughter, accident - Brownsville Herald

So he's 19 didnt know the gun was loaded and pulled the trigger while it was pointed at someome. Even if you dont know thoes big rules we all follow, is it nessecarry to be that stupid?
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Good example of how easily you can ruin two peoples lives. He screwed up, he has to pay.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2
    Livin the Life!
    Join and Support the NRA

Accidentally or not, he killed someone. That is manslaughter at a minimum. He goes to jail for a long time.

Sanchez told police investigators that he had pulled the trigger of the .38-caliber revolver not knowing that it was loaded ... Four witnesses provided sworn statements that the shooting was accidental.
    Hmph. That's like a person saying he drove a car into the pedestrian lane full of people, not realizing that bumpers are that unyielding.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Every time I see a newspaper article where someone "accidentally" shot someone in the head or chest in a house, I go to my default position of, "No fraking way."

A bullet can only travel in a straight line as acted upon by gravity and other outside factors (such as ricocheting), and the odds of that particular barrel pointing at that exact place at that exact moment when it discharged by "accident" are astronomical to say the least.

So, someone pointed that weapon directly at the object it hit and pulled that trigger on purpose.

Come on, even triple checked, quadruple checked (to the infinite power) "unloaded" weapons should never be dry fired while knowingly pointed at living things.

Don't tell me this was an "accident." It was stupidity, recklessness, and well beyond negligence, I don't care how many people or witnesses say otherwise.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post
    I don't care how many people or witnesses say otherwise.
    I was under the impression that what freinds, neighbors, family and witnesses say was all that mattered. If a store was held up and the clerk stabbed, then the BG shot and killed, its always the same story. "He was a good kid and would never do anything like that."

They all say the same thing about the BG even it he was a card carrying member of the Bloods, so its gatta be true.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

I saw this one coming. You have to follow the rules, best learn them before you even pick up a gun.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post
    Don't tell me this was an "accident." It was stupidity, recklessness, and well beyond negligence, I don't care how many people or witnesses say otherwise.
    Yup.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsored Links