Theater Evacuated For Weapons Check

This is a discussion on Theater Evacuated For Weapons Check within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I saw this story this morning and am curious. The Ritz Theater in Ybor City was evacuated after a tip of a possible planned shooting. ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By oakchas
  • 2 Post By JDE101
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 3 Post By Hiram25

Thread: Theater Evacuated For Weapons Check

Theater Evacuated For Weapons Check

I saw this story this morning and am curious. The Ritz Theater in Ybor City was evacuated after a tip of a possible planned shooting. The theater was checked and patrons searched, no weapons found and after an hour and a half the concert went on. I've never been to the Ritz and don't know if they are a posted no weapons place, I don't see it addressed on their website. In FL, it wouldn't be on the prohibited places list, but you could be asked to leave if found out to be carrying. The article simply said no weapons found. If the police are acting on a tip and are searching all patrons, could you still be charged with criminal trespass if it hadn't been seen prior to that and you hadn't been asked to leave? Prior to being searched I'd certainly tell the officer that I had a permit and a concealed weapon and how would you like me to proceed, but I wonder if they are already working off a tip how it would play out if they found a weapon, even a legal one.
    Historic Ritz Theater in Ybor City evacuated for weapon check

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Refund please!
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Had the police gotten a tip prior to the Aurora shooting, after evacuating all the patrons, they could have searched the theater all they wanted and found NOTHING. (the perps armament was outside in his car)..

They did not search the patrons at the Ritz, only the theater itself... If they had found weapons on a permitted patron or two... if the venue was posted they could have been asked to leave, or put their guns in the car.

Last time I was in a theater I was armed.. (it was not posted) and I will be next time, or if it's posted, I won't go.
    Chesafreak, JDE101, mprp and 1 others like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

On the noon news they said every patron got a pat down to look for weapons prior to being readmitted in addition to searching the theater.

I totally agree with oakchas--if I can't carry, I won't go. The last time I went to a movie, I was armed. The theater was not posted. If it is posted, I won't go. The cost of going to a movie is rediculous, anyway! And the price of popcorn and drinks is totally absurd! You pay $5.00+ for about 50 cents worth, at most, of popcorn and the same for the fountain drinks!

Then you have to evacuate and get searched because of a threat of another idiot shooting up the place? I'll pass! Not worth the hassle.
    JerryMac and CDW4ME like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

The police did not get a call about someone legally carrying a firearm. They got a call telling them of a possible planned shooting. Huge difference. They did what they had to do. Its no difference that what they would do had it been a threat of any other kind of deadly threat.

Michael

So, are most theaters now going to "no weapons" mode? I wonder if this will translate to other public group venues. It's too bad if that is what happens....once again the good citizens will comply and be unarmed, and the BGs will ignore the signs or figure out some way to get access to their weapons. Perhaps the management decision-makers are too worried about collateral damage from cross-firing from citizens if the worst were to happen.....

Idk if the Ritz is no weapons, I've only been to Ybor City once a few months ago. I'm just curious, if during a pat down how it would play out - especially if they were posted, which I believe the worst I could be charged with is trespass.

They call it a theater but it was a concert. Apparently it's a historic "theater" that's used for different events, not a movie theater. The news simply said no weapons were found, but I'm kind of surprised by the reported number in the crowd no one was legally carrying. Unless it was a young age group - which by the name of the band it may have been.

So, everyone got patted down? A Terry Stop en masse? oooh, I wonder the legality of that... Terry stops are designed to stop suspicious looking/acting folks and do a cursory patdown... Did everyone look suspicious?

Furthermore, if you were legally carrying and had a permit to do so, and the venue were not posted... What could they do or say?

If you were legally carrying and the location was posted, and they would not have discovered you or your weapon without a pat down... what then?

I realize the need to protect the majority of the people, the population at large... THAT is what the police are for... but we haven't yet started using the department of "Pre-Crime" (ala Minority Report) so I wonder if this isn't stepping over some line of personal liberty...
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Easier to wait for it to come on the tube, cheaper to.
    packinnova, CDW4ME and ccw9mm like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I'd say if it's not posted and you weren't told you couldn't carry, you couldnt get in trouble, but as private property owners they could ask you to leave or leave your guns in your car. I'd say after the shooting, they should ENCOURAGE concealed carry, not limit it. But that's logical.

you can be forced to get pated down to get in. you just have the right to not to get in theater.

but you can't be forced to be frisked on the way out. it is your right to leave.

plus like OP said, it's not a designated area of no carry, so it would hold nothing.

you might be questioned as to why you are carrying, but that's about it.

you can also make a big fuss about it if they search you along with everyone else, and see where that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Easier to wait for it to come on the tube, cheaper to.
    +1. I spent a bunch of greenbacks on a 46" LCD TV and surround sound a couple of years ago. Why on earth would I waste my money, time, and frustration at the theater(otherwise known as grand central station for idiots of all sizes)?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    +1. I spent a bunch of greenbacks on a 46" LCD TV and surround sound a couple of years ago. Why on earth would I waste my money, time, and frustration at the theater(otherwise known as grand central station for idiots of all sizes)?
    edit: Irony - The last time I went to the theater it was to go see that new Star Trek that came out at a local Imax. Problem is they actually have door checks at that one.

I'm in line just outside the door and getting ready to do the key drop in the bin etc... going through "security" and one of the guys spots my kershaw clipped to the leg pocket on my carhartts. Here's how the conversation went:
    • Security: I'm sorry sir but you can't have that in here(pointing at my folder clipped in my pocket). You'll have to take that back out to your car and then you can return.
    • Me: Uh ok...Kinda ridiculous for a pocket knife, but not a problem. I'll be back in just a sec.{Off to the car I go - nevermind the parking lot is like 4 football fields - ugh!}.

So I get back and the guy looks at my pocket, doesn't see the kershaw clip, smiles and waves me in.
    Thoughts... I guess I shouldn't mention to him at this point that there was a 1911 under my cover shirt...
    My friends just laughed when I caught up with them on the inside. They clearly knew I did exactly as the SO requested.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I too am curious about the legality and how this scenario would unfold and I know it will be different in different locations.

I don't often go to the movie house but I am always armed and they are not posted. In a situation like described I am just wondering how it would work out. Did the patrons voluntarily submit to being searched? If they chose not to re-enter were they treated differently? Might they allow a licensed CHL holder to re-enter?

Links