Good: Paraplegic shot, killed armed intruder

This is a discussion on Good: Paraplegic shot, killed armed intruder within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; How would you like to be awakened like this? I'm not sure I'd be able to respond as well as this guy did. It's making ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mprp

Thread: Good: Paraplegic shot, killed armed intruder

How would you like to be awakened like this? I'm not sure I'd be able to respond as well as this guy did. It's making me rethink where to keep my gun at night--maybe on my nightstand in plain view isn't the best place.

John Mutter said the intruder who prodded him awake with a poke to the head with one of his own shotguns was interested in finding more guns.
    Police ID intruder fatally shot by homeowner
    Mutter was ready with a .357 at his side and quick thinking about putting it into action. The unfortunate part is the intruder came in through an unlocked door. He might have avoided this had he kept his doors locked, especially during the night while asleep. Anyway, I'm glad he was able to defend himself. Chalk one up for successful self-defense.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Good for him, really smart on his part, especially for having just woke up
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post

The unfortunate part is the intruder came in through an unlocked door. He might have avoided this had he kept his doors locked, especially during the night while asleep.
    this....I make sure all the locks in the house are locked before bed and then my wife double checks before we go upstairs. Then we both make sure the bedroom doors are locked. Unfortunately it just seems like the homeowner dozed off while watching television or something. Gotta make sure the doors are locked even while you are awake though. Dont need any unneeded entrances into my home.

He needs to invest in a dog or 3. Glad he's ok.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    He needs to invest in a dog or 3. Glad he's ok.
    Excellent point. And I like your avatar pic of the dog reading. I can't quite make out the book title--what is it?

Excellent point. And I like your avatar pic of the dog reading. I can't quite make out the book title--what is it?
    Amazon.com: Gun Dog: Revolutionary Rapid Training Method (9780525245490): Richard A. Wolters, John W. Randolph: Books
    NH_Esau likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Good ending to a bad situation!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member
    It's making me rethink where to keep my gun at night--maybe on my nightstand in plain view isn't the best place.
    I keep mine in arm's reach on my desk which is right next to the bed. However, I do cover it as I had already thought about what if someone broke in and came in to the room before I woke up.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Wolters wrote the best series ever on dog training. Monks, whisperers, whatever... nothing compares to Wolters' old-school methods, at least with Labs.

Links