Bad: Chicago Deadliest Global City

This is a discussion on Bad: Chicago Deadliest Global City within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not too surprising... Opinion: The Deadliest Global City | NBC Chicago How are those gun restrictions working out for ya Chicago?...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By Hiram25
  • 1 Post By DukeoftheD

Thread: Bad: Chicago Deadliest Global City

Bad: Chicago Deadliest Global City

Not too surprising...

Opinion: The Deadliest Global City | NBC Chicago

How are those gun restrictions working out for ya Chicago?
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

From the article:

Let’s look at Tokyo, one of the safest cities on that list, with a murder rate of 0.5 per 100,000 citizens. Japan’s constitution does not guarantee its citizens the right to bear arms. Handguns are prohibited. Semi-automatic weapons are prohibited. Automatic rifles are prohibited. The only exceptions are hunting shotguns and target-shooting pistols. The penalty for illegal possession of a gun is up to 15 years in prison. Japan has a population of 127 million. In 2006, two people were murdered with guns.

Boy, that's a valid point... so let's look at Norway.

It has nearly the same restrictions on guns as does Japan and IINM, gun ownership is not constitutionally guaranteed there either... Japan and Norway are similar in other ways regards firearms... In Norway you can have a handgun for the same reason you can in Japan (Note to author of article: a "target shooting pistol" is a handgun, doofus. So, handguns are not prohibited in Japan, they are merely regulated, just as they are in Norway).

So, Norway has just as stringent laws against firearms as Japan... yet some nut with one long arm and one pistol can take out ~ 70 people in one day... in Norway...

The difference between Norway and Japan?

Mindset... In Japan you really can lose your wallet and if they can find you you will get it back with everything inside more often than not.

It is not the regulation of mindless, inanimate objects that determines the murder rate... it is the people, and the criminals that commit crimes. It doesn't matter the population, it doesn't matter the means, it does not matter the laws... Murder happens... It happens less in places where criminal activity is not a social norm... But it has nothing to do with the law or the restrictions placed on inanimate objects.
    mano3, msgt/ret, BigStick and 2 others like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

WT
    Why do antis even bother arguing for gun control at this point?

What can they really say to "look at Chicago?"

Well, if Bloomer gets his way, NYC will be working on the top spot!
    mano3 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

oakchas - I agree. One thing they forgot to mention about Japan - highest suicide rate. They don't need guns to kill people, they just kill themselves...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

When I was in the navy I was stationed in Atsugi, Japan for three years. During those three years, I have never felt safer. It could be three am, downtown Tokyo, and walking down a dark alley and not have to worry about getting robbed or beat up.

About Japan. My wife taught English there for a year. I'm not sure about the murder rate numbers for Japan. While my wife was there: At least 3 murders, and those were with knives. You know who it was? Mothers of children who murdered other mothers because their child didn't get into the 'right' preschool!! Yeah, preschool folks. Maybe japan could ban knives!
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

Maybe Im misunderstanding the Japan part of the article but dosnt it kind of put gun control in a good light? Most everything is prohibited with two acceptions and the murder rate by guns is 2? Im not trying to sound like an anti, Im far from it. Im just a little unclear on this.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    The difference between Norway and Japan?

Mindset... In Japan you really can lose your wallet and if they can find you you will get it back with everything inside more often than not.

It is not the regulation of mindless, inanimate objects that determines the murder rate... it is the people, and the criminals that commit crimes. It doesn't matter the population, it doesn't matter the means, it does not matter the laws... Murder happens... It happens less in places where criminal activity is not a social norm... But it has nothing to do with the law or the restrictions placed on inanimate objects.
    What you're saying above is basically Michael Moore's viewpoint on gun control: guns don't kill people, Americans kill people. If you give guns to all the Japanese, I'd bet there would be no big changes in the murder rate. You somehow magically make all guns disappear in the US, and people will carry on violence against one another. So Chicago is perhaps no case for either "shall issue" or gun control. It's an example of the American culture of violence, which may be the more fundamental problem we need to fix.

The big problem we have here is the coddling of criminals with their umpteen "rights." It's not the law or prohibitions on weapons it's the difference after a bad act. The BGs here in the US know they'll be treated with kid gloves every step of the way. Lettem try rape, robbery, murder etc. in Japan, Russia or any number of other countries and see how far they get with their smart-alecky attornies worrying about their rights. There's lotsa places in my neighboorhood where the BGs can walk right in and do anything they want. Of course they'll be carried out. Now that Florida is approaching 1,000,000 CWLs, maybe we'll be having more happy endings for the GGs.

Reading the comments at the bottom, I see a LOT more 'pro' than 'anti' in there..........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by mb1900 View Post
    What you're saying above is basically Michael Moore's viewpoint on gun control: guns don't kill people, Americans kill people. If you give guns to all the Japanese, I'd bet there would be no big changes in the murder rate. You somehow magically make all guns disappear in the US, and people will carry on violence against one another. So Chicago is perhaps no case for either "shall issue" or gun control. It's an example of the American culture of violence, which may be the more fundamental problem we need to fix.
    It may be. However, not all the people of the US are a part of "the culture of violence." Those of us who believe in our right to carry are not violent people. We carry in self defense, planning to use our weapons only "in the gravest extreme." Only when no other means will suffice. Against those who are indeed a part of "the culture of violence." Those who have little or no regard for the preciousness of human life. Those who would take our lives for pocket change or the equivalent.

Long before there were guns, long before laws were written, there was evil in the world. The culture of violence consisted of 25% of the population, the murder rate was also 25%. As reported in the very first UCR.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Comparing one country to another is foolish. Different cultures, problems, economies etc, etc. Statistics can be manipulated to say whatever you want them to and thats a fact. Here is a perfect example: People who own guns are 10 times more likely to hurt or kill themselves with there own weapon. At face value its a scary stat. But its stating the obvious and not saying much. All it says is people who are around guns are more likely to get hurt by them. You can make that point with anything. People who own cars are more likely to get DUI's than people who don't own cars. Butchers are more likely to cut their finger off than most people. People who have pools in their backyard are more likely to drown in a pool than other people.
    GunGeezer likes this.
    It's gonna be a lot of slow singing and flower bringing if my burglar alarm starts ringing.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    A CNN writer recently noted, in response to the Aurora, Colo. shootings that it's not about guns but rather about the mental health of America that we appear to have a culture of violence. It's just easier to blame it on guns. IMHO I believe a modicum of blame rests with our immigration policy of the yrs. following the Cuban revolution. We are admitting millions of foreigners who pollute our culture with those of 3rd world countries, do not respect our historical values, do not share our fundamental religious foundations and do not assimilate but rather try to duplicate their former life-style in our non-repressive society. With nothing to contribute to this land, more freedom than they have ever had and all their basic needs taken care of by our nanny government, they can pretty much do as they like.

Links