Interesting to see what San Francisco considers a "Cache of Weapons"

This is a discussion on Interesting to see what San Francisco considers a "Cache of Weapons" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Homeless Man Found With Weapons Cache, List Of Names In SF Golden Gate Park « CBS San Francisco Homeless Man Found With Weapons Cache, List ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Interesting to see what San Francisco considers a "Cache of Weapons"

Homeless Man Found With Weapons Cache, List Of Names In SF Golden Gate Park « CBS San Francisco

Homeless Man Found With Weapons Cache, List Of Names In SF Golden Gate Park
    August 1, 2012 7:35 PM

SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS)— San Francisco Police displayed an array of weapons and ammunition Wednesday that were found in a homeless man’s car last month in Golden Gate Park.

Officers had prior contact with the man, but Chief of Police Greg Suhr ended up defending his department even though the suspect got past them with a large amount of weapons.

KCBS’ Jeffrey Schaub Reports:
    SF Police Chief Defends Officers After Homeless Man With Cache Of Weapons Slipped Through The Cracks

When police found a cache of guns, knives, a shotgun, 5,800 rounds of ammunition and camouflage gear in Robert Johns’ car on July 21st it was thought they may have diverted some kind of planned attack.

Also in that vehicle was a list of names of political leaders, reportedly including President Barack Obama.

It turned out to be Johns’ second arrest. In late June police took him into custody for having weapons in his car, but were more concerned about his mental health. John was evaluated and then later released.
    Homeless Man Found With Weapons Cache, List Of Names In SF Golden Gate Park

San Francisco Police said they found these guns inside the car of Robert Johns, a homeless man living around Golden Gate Park. (SFPD)

Chief Suhr defended those officers when asked why they hadn’t done a full search of the car at that time.

“Obviously any firepower we can get off the street, we’d rather have sooner or later, but we do have protocols in place and I think the officers did a good job at the time in evaluating the person in crisis and the approach they took,”

Suhr said in this instance, things turned out just as they should and that the most important thing was that the weapons were found and that no one was injured.

The search of the car also turned up marijuana and a methamphetamine cookbook, police said.

Johns has pleaded not guilty to eight felony and misdemeanor weapon and drug charges and will return to court on Aug. 7 for his preliminary hearing, district attorney’s office spokesman Alex Bastian said.

Distinguished Member
    That's a "cache"?

I see one bird-gun, one deer rifle, a plinker, and a novelty.

Where I grew up, most 12-year-olds have most of this "cache".

I think the apparent hit list, and the drug paraphernalia are a bigger concern than this guys "arsenal" (another media-favorite term)

With a cache like that, he could take on the zombies by himself.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    That's a "cache"?

I see one bird-gun, one deer rifle, a plinker, and a novelty.

I think the apparent hit list, and the drug paraphernalia are a bigger concern than this guys "arsenal" (another media-favorite term)
    Same here...

My "cache" at about 10 was a Marlin 60, old beat up Sears and Roebuck 20ga, recurve bow, various knives, slingshots, etc.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

I guess it qualifies as a cache especially if it was stored in a car. Where I'm from those rifles and there stocks would be sawed off. As far as the list I don't pay that much attention to it. it wasn't a kill list imo. This guy wouldn't get close with the stuff he had. I think his list had Obama and Boehner on it not a chance...
    I ain't a killer but don't push me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post

yea pretty much.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Looks a little short on guns for a hunting/camping trip to me. Enough to do the job, but nothing extra to play with.

If the guy is homeless, where else is he supposed to store his stuff? The drugs and list of names look bad, but I'm still not sure he should get hit on any firearms violations. Well, I guess it is CA, so they probably have something to hit him with.
    Walk softly ...

Dang...If they saw my humble collection they would pith themselves.
    I see a pump shotgun
    22 Semi Auto rifle
    22 pistol
    and a double barrel small caliber derringer.

When I go to the gun range by their satandards I have an Arsenal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I should send the SFPD a picture of my "cache". I'll even leave all of the scary belts, scopes and scabbards. They're gonna need a bigger table. At least they say that they were more concerned with his mental health. I guess they can't show a picture of the real problem though.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    It is an arsenal get this gun nut off the street. Hey,what can we expect from the nanny state.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

An arsenal in San Fran would be a set of nail clippers, a sling shot, and a BB gun.

They'd have to take out a two page fold out picture in the paper for mine...and I consider mine just a small collection, not a "cache".
    msgt/ret and Ionracas like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

A buddy of mine in another state has a "cache". The entire second floor of his house is nothing but military style rifles mounted to the walls floor to ceiling, every room. Of course, he also has his house and the rooms heavily alarmed, monitored, etc. He can pull up live feed video of each room on his iphone anytime. I stopped counting at 100. To me, that's a cache.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I had more guns and ammo than that when I turned 14! But, I am a Born and Bred Texican!!!!

I think being as he's homeless, that's not a lot of self defense.

But the drugs are gonna bite him and he'll never see his weapons again!

Or car for that matter.

Stupid People sometimes!

Now he'll really be homeless!
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

VIP Member
    If I'm not mistaken, a slingshot and pea shooter classifies as a "cache" of weapons in CA.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I guess we know now, in CA more than one is a cache. What do they consider an arsenal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links