Ugly: baseball bat blamed as cause of death of child at baseball park - Page 2

Ugly: baseball bat blamed as cause of death of child at baseball park

This is a discussion on Ugly: baseball bat blamed as cause of death of child at baseball park within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The batter and the catcher don't have deep pockets. Remember it's all about the money....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Ugly: baseball bat blamed as cause of death of child at baseball park

The batter and the catcher don't have deep pockets. Remember it's all about the money.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

This is stupid. I heard how many stories when I was a kid of kid killed by a foul ball, kid killed by a line drive, kid killed by a pitch. Just saw a video on the news a few weeks ago of a bird that got hit by a pitch. Nobody sued the bird. It lived and nobody hauled it off to the hospital for psychological evaluations. Stupid stupid stupid.

Who wants to make a bet its the mother suing and not the father? Nothing can erase a man's love of baseball except another strike.

I played baseball from young kid through high school. It would be a sad day that baseball was turned into a Nurf sport. Why don't they sue themselves for not teaching their kid how to catch?
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    While I feel sorry for the kid, EVERYTHING in life has risks associated with it. What's the next lawsuit going to be? The sun was too bright and caused the person to blink, at which time he tripped over an earthworm crawling across the sidewalk?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have seen it many times, the grieving parents (or offspring) get really angry when they lose a family member from an "accidental" (i.e., not natural) cause and they take the only legal action available to them.. contact a lawyer and sue. I wonder if they could impose a cooling off period to avoid frivolous suits?
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Two words: Tort reform.
    Sig35seven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Two words: Tort reform.
    One word: judges. It'd be nice if they could, in such clear examples of irrelevance and contempt for the system.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    If you don't want to take any risks... sit at home and read books, every day, all day, for the rest of your life, or don't blame anyone if you get injured playing a game that's been around for over 150 years...
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Woah, books are dangerous. You could get a nasty paper cut and go down.

Better make it digital books.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Really? And in MT, no less. I thought we were better than that.

The defense did not have an expert capable of explaining and convincing a jury.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Jackpot Justice...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

I can answer this one ..... it's because numerous people have been arguing for years that too many 'kids' (in particular) have been killed due to the use of aluminum bats and there are many people that want them banned for use by kids, especially high schoolers. The reason, even studies by the 'manufacturers' show , that there have been more deaths due to aluminum bats because they will hit balls harder, faster and further. In particular, pitchers have been the most often hit and killed.

So, they are filing lawsuits, etc. and everything else they can to get attention to the subject. Suing Lousiville however, seems rather stupid to me ... it's not their fault for making them.

But, I do see the argument myself and agree with them banning the use of them in youth leagues. I've seen 13 yr olds drive a ball so fast and so hard into a field player that they had no chance to even get their glove up, and do major damage to them (hit in the head). But, I don't see filing lawsuits nor blame that should be placed on Lousiville Slugger.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links