Ugly: baseball bat blamed as cause of death of child at baseball park

This is a discussion on Ugly: baseball bat blamed as cause of death of child at baseball park within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Louisville Slugger bat maker named in lawsuit . Original story, on the injury: click . Why not take responsibility for deciding to sit/play in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Ugly: baseball bat blamed as cause of death of child at baseball park

Louisville Slugger bat maker named in lawsuit.

Original story, on the injury: click.

Why not take responsibility for deciding to sit/play in the path of batted balls, eh? 'Cause there is no money in it. Only in America.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This is not unique to America. They actually did ban "weapons" outside of guns in the UK after guns were banned. In fact, the violence was still so bad in places they were contemplating banning pointed knives throughout the UK.

The chefs and restaurant owners went berserk and got that legislation killed.

This lawsuit should get tossed out. I believe there are laws that protect manufacturers of products from willful misuse lawsuits of people that buy/use what they sell.

Stupid people...........

I feel for the child, I do...... and the parents even....
    the coaches, players... this event touched everyone involved.
    ....but blaming the maker of the bat?!? I'm a father and a grandfather..... I care, and I know what can happen. I knew when I played lil' league b'ball........
    Crescentstar likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

There is a possibility of injury when playing any sport,This is typical,their son was injured and they are suing anyone and everyone that has anything to do with the league hoping for a settlement.I will admit that this accident didn't occur as a result of negligence on the Injured kids part,like some lawsuits where people were using something it wasn't designed for
    Spade115 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Assault balls and bats to be banned by executive order?
    Ionracas likes this.
    Build your own! http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/

Jetico.......BC Wipe

say it ain't so... the #1 bat sold in England during the riots caused injury to someone.....

I will admit that this accident didn't occur as a result of negligence on the Injured kids part ...
    A line drive was hit, and the ball struck him in the chest. Hard to see how anyone or anything contributed to the injury, except for the mere fact he played the game. Voluntary activity, voluntarily joined, knowing full well one can stub the toe, get run over, break a finger, get hit by a pitched/thrown/struck ball, or crapped on by a goose flying overhead. I'm sure li'l Johnnie knew this, grievous though his injury turned out to be. Life's a contact sport; baseball certainly is.

Momma, who can we sue when I twist my ankle walking along the forest path? Hmm ... the BLM?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    My uncle was killed as a child back in the 1940's by a line-drive to the chest. It stopped his heart, and that was back before anybody knew anything about CPR.

It never crossed my Grandparent's mind to try to sue somebody over it. In fact, even in their grief, they focused their efforts on consoling the boy who hit the ball.

What a difference a generation makes.

This is up there in my book as one of the most ridiculous lawsuits ever. Trying to say a wooden bat is safer than an aluminum one when your child was hit by neither. Sue the company that made the baseball. I hate seeing people trying to make a quick buck off of such tragic events.

They are suing everyone and they are suing each other. Why not sue the ball manufacturer too? A Lawyer field day. They will be stuffing their pockets with cash.

There have been others killed this way in the past. The dangers are well documented. I thought the little league was going to require breast plates for pitchers...I guess not. It is a known fact that aluminium bats hit the ball about 3.5 MPH faster than wood.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I hope that my relentless sarcasm isnt becoming an annoyance to everyone. It really is a shame that a child has died but is it really getting to the point in this country that we need to hand out, "accidental death and dismemberment" waiviers now? Im begining to think thats going to be required of everything today, including big gulps, hot mcdonalds coffee and fattening foods. Oh and now little league. Theres no crying in baseball!

Quote Originally Posted by abillb View Post
    Assault balls and bats to be banned by executive order?
    Better watch out for thoes semi-automatic, high capacity pitching machines!
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
    This is up there in my book as one of the most ridiculous lawsuits ever. Trying to say a wooden bat is safer than an aluminum one when your child was hit by neither. Sue the company that made the baseball. I hate seeing people trying to make a quick buck off of such tragic events.
    Montana Jury Awards $850,000 in Aluminum Bat Lawsuit | Fox News
    This will not be a first.

Michael

What a shame. I feel terrible for the boy and his family. A lawsuit, however, will neither remove his brain damage nor do I believe it will prevent the perfect timing that was required for this injury to occur regardless of what material the bat had been made of.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Gotta go after those deep pockets.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Interesting.
    Leagues do have rules for what is a "legal" bat. I can remember playing softball back in the 90's when they were banning certain Titanium alloy bats because the coefficient of restitution was too high. Some folks got a little upset after buying their $300 bat and then finding out they could only use it one more season, or finding out they could not use it in league play at all. So the questions for me are how does the C.O.R. of the bat that was used compare with comparable metal bats and wood bats, and what was the league regulation regarding bats?

I am also wondering why they are not suing the batter who struck the ball? After all, if he had taken the pitch, or bunted no injury would have occurred. Or why not the catcher? If he decided to intentionally walk the batter and signaled a pitch out, there would have been no injury.
    Last edited by mcp1810; August 6th, 2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: typo
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links