Bad: Yahoo Article Blames Semi-Autos

This is a discussion on Bad: Yahoo Article Blames Semi-Autos within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Handgun type used on Sikhs is mass shooting weapon of choice - Yahoo! News "Semiautomatic handguns are the weapon of choice for mass murderers because ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Bad: Yahoo Article Blames Semi-Autos

Handgun type used on Sikhs is mass shooting weapon of choice - Yahoo! News

"Semiautomatic handguns are the weapon of choice for mass murderers because they are light and easy to conceal, and adaptable to using high-capacity magazines, experts say. This allows the shooter to fire the maximum number of bullets in a short period of time, said Josh Sugarmann, executive director of the Violence Policy Center, a nonprofit group that advocates to reduce gun violence."

The article talks about the Wisconsin Shooter, Loughner, Holmes, The VA Tech shooter and the bills being brought before congress to try to eliminate or limit weapons and accessories.

The last line in the article does, however, state that the bills being brought before congress have little chance of passing in an election year.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Honest question here, is there any mainstream media outlets that are gun freindly? Or just unbiased?

I know its all about ratings but some people must catch on with the bandwagon #%@!
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Well, just because it looks bad doesn't mean it's not true... For the most part they aren't using bombs and grenades, they are using semi-automatic weapons. At least they got that part right now, they used to call them automatics with assault clips.

What needs to be brought up however is that more laws won't prevent this... "CRIMINALS DON'T OBEY LAWS".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Well, just because it looks bad doesn't mean it's not true... For the most part they aren't using bombs and grenades, they are using semi-automatic weapons. At least they got that part right now, they used to call them automatics with assault clips.

What needs to be brought up however is that more laws won't prevent this... "CRIMINALS DON'T OBEY LAWS".
    The truth is still the truth. If they didn't have access to semi-auto's they'd be using revolvers. The tool doesn't change the intent. It's a pointless distinction to galvanize the masses.

(Side note here for Thunder71 - that new avatar is just a little disturbing.)
    FLArmadillo likes this.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Well looking at the source, it's not surprising. I stopped reading the garbage on their site a long time ago.
    Ionracas and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I understand your point, but a revolver and a pistol are both semi-automatic weapons anyway, so their wording wouldn't necessarily change. I mean people aren't using single shot muzzle loaders, let's be honest too.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    The truth is still the truth. If they didn't have access to semi-auto's they'd be using revolvers. The tool doesn't change the intent. It's a pointless distinction to galvanize the masses.

(Side note here for Thunder71 - that new avatar is just a little disturbing.)

Quote Originally Posted by wraithls1 View Post
    Well looking at the source, it's not surprising. I stopped reading the garbage on their site a long time ago.
    I remember about 4 or 5 years ago Yahoo posted a photo of what was supposed to be some South American tribe, the last known primative culture untouched by modern civilization. The photo was taken from a UAV as the natives stared up in shock. Anyways it was proven to be a fake and no such tribe was known to exist. Yahoo put out several retract stories.

About a year ago Yahoo released the SAME photo with a simmilar story only now the tribe is facing extinction due to drug smugglers.

Intelligence dosnt work for some, I suppose.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

What if he had driven a Semi-Tractor through the building and killed six people would they be calling for a ban of Semi's?
    accessbob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Twosocks View Post
    What if he had driven a Semi-Tractor through the building and killed six people would they be calling for a ban of Semi's?
    Just the assault semis.

That joke will just never get old...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Someone is BFF's with Bloomberg...

Actually this should take some of the heat off that quintessential media whipping boy, the assault rifle.

I'm sorry but I don't see the wrong information in that quote. We may not like what it entails but the truth is that if I wanted to move a lot of lead quickly in a small and concealable package, I would chose a semi auto handgun. Most of the people that are CCWing semi autos choose them for exactly that reason. I and others here have said multiple times "Man, the Glock 26 (or insert any other sub compact or compact polymer pistol) is great because it's a lot of firepower in a small package". We seem to be fine with praising the fire power and capacity of a weapon until it serves as a prop to a anti's argument. Face it folks, the same reason we choose a particular weapon is probably going to coincide with the reason why a crazy gunman would choose it as well. Because it's the most effective option. Not all criminals are 2 bit street thugs that are poor and buy the gun they can find on the street and then hold their gat sideways cause dey be all gangsta.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Let me embolden the wrong info for you.

The common thread binding the mass attacks together is that they all used semiautomatic handguns with high-capacity magazines, Spearman said.

"There is no valid reason for civilians to have assault rifles, semiautomatic handguns and high-capacity magazines," he said. "We have to start ratcheting down the firepower in civilian hands in the United States."
    You mean, they didn't tote black powder muskets that take 5 minutes to reload one shot??? Genius.

The fact of the matter is, potentially they could have used a pump shotgun and done more damage. They could have used fertilizer explosives. They could have used gasoline and a match. They could have used 10 different 10 round magazines. How many seconds does it take to slap in a new mag? This logic is completely flawed to the bone - and if the anti's get their way, it is the rest of the law abiding citizens who will suffer in the self defense department.

I have to agree with then on one thing

because they are light and easy to conceal, and adaptable to using high-capacity magazines, experts say. This allows the shooter to fire the maximum number of bullets in a short period of time, said Josh Sugarmann,.
    thats why I like them too... along with 500 million or so others

IMO, it's all a smokescreen anyway. the people who don't like ordinary citizens owning firearms won't be happy until they have managed to ban everything! if these shooters had used 1851 Navy revolvers and Sharps rifles, the antis would be screaming about the need to ban these Indian killer multiple-shot handguns and those buffalo exterminating sniper rifles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links