Good: Little-known Aurora church shooting

This is a discussion on Good: Little-known Aurora church shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've searched the forum and haven't found anything posted regarding this incident at a church in Aurora, CO: Aurora: There is safety in armed citizenry ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GeorgiaDawg

Thread: Good: Little-known Aurora church shooting

VIP Member

Good: Little-known Aurora church shooting

I've searched the forum and haven't found anything posted regarding this incident at a church in Aurora, CO:

Aurora: There is safety in armed citizenry | The Salt Lake Tribune
    Last edited by BenGoodLuck; August 8th, 2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    I've searched the forum for this and have not found anything:

Aurora: There is safety in armed citizenry | The Salt Lake Tribune
    I'd call that good news but for one (not so) little detail:
    Quote Originally Posted by the article
    Aurora police spokesman Frank Fania asked rhetorically: "Who knows what would’ve happened if the [church member, an off-duty police officer] had not been there? It certainly could have been a lot worse."
    So the antis would say: "Of course! A weapon in the hands of a highly skilled, superbly trained police officer, even if off-duty, can stop criminals in their tracks... but the average citizen.. no, they don't need to be carrying guns... To Church of all places...." and so on...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    That's a good point, but they can't get past the fact that it was an off-duty cop, not an on-duty cop, that took him out. It was someone who was on-site that was able to neutralize the threat before additional lives were taken. Even an untrained carrier has a better shot (pun intended) of stopping the threat than a cop who would be miles and minutes away.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I'd call that good news but for one (not so) little detail:

So the antis would say: "Of course! A weapon in the hands of a highly skilled, superbly trained police officer, even if off-duty, can stop criminals in their tracks... but the average citizen.. no, they don't need to be carrying guns... To Church of all places...." and so on...
    I agree with you, oakchas, and even thought about pointing that out when I posted the link. But like GeorgiaDawg says: "It was someone who was on-site that was able to neutralize the threat before additional lives were taken." I think the point is that we need to publicize these events and show that armed citizens prevent tragedies or at least mitigate them.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

The contrast between the two Aurora shootings couldn’t be more striking. In the first, a potential holocaust was prevented by an armed citizen taking action. In the second, the perpetrator was free to act out his evil intent on unarmed innocents, knowing that none could return fire. The world knows about the Aurora movie-theater shooting; the world also needs to know about the Aurora church shooting.

Anti-gun zealots, however, ignore how the absence of guns in the hands of the law-abiding encourages more crime, and in the Aurora movie-theater shooting they've found an opportunity to promote their agenda and have already seized it.

Links