New York City and New York City Idiots

This is a discussion on New York City and New York City Idiots within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK ...This is basically my observations and opinions from within. Once a particular politician was elected to office the use of the NYPD changed, from ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: New York City and New York City Idiots

OK ...This is basically my observations and opinions from within.

Once a particular politician was elected to office the use of the NYPD changed, from public service to an occupying army stance. (just my opinion) I noticed the S&F's becoming more aggressive. Officers being disciplined for not doing enough S&F's. More arrests stemming from S&F's. A ruination of a premier unit in the NYPD. The STREET CRIME UNIT was bastardized, taken out of their specialized role, and used more as a goon squad than anything else. Officers were encouraged to be more than proactive. Several unknown tragedies happened... some made the press. The most famous one was the Amadou Diallo shooting. Although I cant remember the name of the operation.... There was one day when every officer was pressed into service, including state and federal law enforcement, private security, and the national guard was mobilized as an exercise. This was a live exercise, using unsuspecting NY'rs as subjects. Record numbers of arrests were made. It was It was touted as an effort to stem the number of warrants outstanding.

Things have gone downhill from there. Now the people of NY have elected themselves a KING FOR AS LONG AS I WANT TO BE it's gotten much worse. The current stop and frisk situation in NYC is an abomination, and it makes me sick to see my fine department stoop to such a low and lazy level.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    Everyone agrees this 'stop & frisk' approach is effective... but a lot of what goes on with this policy is a violation of the 4th A.
    I have a friend who's a NYC cop, and he was pressured to do this...and hated it.
    On the one hand, you have government policies that intentionally undermine & destroy the traditional family (look at the stats concerning single parent households in NYC),
    and then when uneducated/unemployed teens turn to gangs/crime...the terrified citizenry demands that the government come down heavy.
    So many of society's problems are the direct result of the government replacing the father/husband in home... (provider/protector).
    And it's done to buy votes and increase power and control.
    Think about it.

With all due respect sir...

The current stop and frisk policy does NOT work. It accomplish nothing other than being a revenue stream for the city fining people for having pot. Thats what they find in a stop n frisk most of the time... non criminal pot. So how is that effecting crime?.. I'll tell you how it effects crime... it cause it to go up. Every pot arrest made requires the Officer fill out a UF61 crime report. Since black and hispanics are the target's of the stops they are statisically labelled as criminals. Viola... blaks and hispanics are more likely to be a criminal... statisically that is.

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Duke yes NYC is very safe. Come vist but please leave your guns at home.

People were complaining about the Stop and Frisk until there were a couple of kids that got shot and one dies. Now Stop and Frisk is a OK.

Lets face fact. The police are not SaFisking people in the white sections on the neighborhood because 90 percent of the crime is committed in the black and latino sections. If the same crime stats were in the white section the police would be fisking them too. If you knew that 90 percent of people speed on one road you would set up enforcement on that road make sense right.

There are sections of Brooklyn and Bronx and Nyc that if not for the enforcement of the police after dark people would be prisioners in their own home.

90% of all crime is not commited in black and hispanic areas. Crime is commited everywhere. If I may explain how that % or something similar happens. NYC now has about 32,000 sworn members 40,000 during my time. This the equivilant of an Army corps. Not all of these officers work on the streets, not all of these officers are on duty at all time, For argument sake lets say there are 1,000 officers on duty at any given time. 1,000 officers is a lot, even in NYC. So where do they put these officers? lets say 900 of them are on patrol in Pct's in sectors, and patrol posts detective squads, ancilliory duties. What about the remaining 100 ? The City must have a reserve in case of a disaster, or an incident for crown control. Wgere do they park these officers? Easy answer. They park them in the locations least politcally affluent, or the area that would least protest a heavy police presence. These additional officers will generate aditional crime reports. This will result in an area having a falsley higher number of reported crimes. Crime happens everywhere... it's just better reported in some area's.
    Last edited by Secret Spuk; August 12th, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
    mcp1810 and sigmanluke like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    If you want to give up your rights, go ahead, but the policy contradicts the 4th Amendment. Blatantly.

It should have been struck down before it went active.

Making New York City a police state was the direction taken instead of resolving the problem.

The targeting of certain mionorities isn't racist. It's based on facts. It's the most aggressive use of profiling left in America, and it has been used to violate American citizens rights.
    Please explain to me how targeting one particular group isnt racist?... Please share with me these facts? Not statistics.... Facts.

Statistics are tricky things. As Secret Spuk pointed out, if you have more officers in a particular area generating paper work your stats are going to skew towards that area.

What happened with my friend was they put him in a predominantly hispanic populated area, and he was working the graveyard shift. His jurisdiction was not just the Metro stations but anything within a certain distance of metro transit property. Metro transit property includes his cruiser, busses, trains, a bus stop sign, a bus stop shelter, any metro train yard or bus yard. So Mike was checking on people sleeping in bus shelters. He would find drugs or weapons on them and arrest them. Or another officer would call for a spanish speaking officer to respond and he would end up taking the guy in. Mike wasn't "targeting" hispanics. Hispanics just happened to be a disproportionately greater percentage of the population in his beat than in the metro area overall.

Instead of just looking at the raw numbers we need to also look at the geography. If ninety percent of an officers traffic stops are of vehicles with Texas tags that may or may not be a sign of profiling. If he is in Houston I would not question it. If he is in Boston I would want to know why.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post

The current stop and frisk policy does NOT work. It accomplish nothing other than being a revenue stream for the city fining people for having pot. Thats what they find in a stop n frisk most of the time... non criminal pot. So how is that effecting crime?.. I'll tell you how it effects crime... it cause it to go up. Every pot arrest made requires the Officer fill out a UF61 crime report. Since black and hispanics are the target's of the stops they are statisically labelled as criminals. Viola... blaks and hispanics are more likely to be a criminal... statisically that is.
    I don't know about pot busts... but violent crime/shootings/murder are way down from the days of Mayor Dinkins.
    Stop and frisk makes carrying a pistol a high risk proposition in the targeted areas.
    Don't get me wrong... I think the policy is often abused & unconstitutional... and you're correct when you noted that officers were being disciplined for not doing enough of it.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Brass 63... I respect your opinion

But Crime has been in decline for a long time now. Actually NY is seeing a resurgence of violent crime. Stop and frisk tactics have nothing to do with it. Crime wasnt all that bad during the inept Dinkins administration.

OK going in the premis that most crime is commited by young blacks and latino's. Stopping and frisking young black and latino's would serve to abate that crime. So since most mass murder, shootings, bombings, poisonings (anthrax) is commited by white males should we stop and frisk all white males in order to abate these killings? I mean thats the same logic no?

We are a nation of laws and rules. These laws and rules must be applied equally to everyone or they mean nothing. If one man's justice is denied... everyones justice is denied. The police system in the USA is set up to prevent a police state. As long as the Police obey the law... were safe. When we condone the denial of justice to one group were giving away our own rights. IMO The government in NYC is become a nanny/police state.

Please allow me to splain how crime in NYC works. Or shall I say worked when I was there.
    Crime mostly follows two effects.
    The economy
    Drug trends

The economy can and will cause individuals who normally would not commit a crime to become a criminal. Also the economy cause individual's to become comestic offenders. Men and women who would never visit violence on their mate or children may break under economic pressure. When the economy is good... the flow of money keeps most people fat and happy.

Drug trends is probably what has the most effect on crime, especially violent crime. First off Drug use is generational. Every generation has it's own drug epidemic. For example there was a "Angel Dust" epidemic during the 1980's that caused some of the worse violence I've ever seen. People from adolescence to senior citizens were caught up in smoking dust. Eventually this generation of junkies died off, got well, or just withered ... and the profit went out of selling dust. This happens because the children of this generation experienced first hand what that drug did to their lives. So a new drug was offered... Other than the drugs being illegal they cause pettit, property, and personal crimes by the addicts so they can buy drugs. Drugs also cause violent crime. Mostly drug dealers fighting over territory, or insults. But mostly territory.

Again this is generational... every generation starts the cycle over again... usually with a new drug, or a re-cycled drug. This has nothing to do with race.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links