BAD----Doctors target gun violence as a social disease - Page 2

BAD----Doctors target gun violence as a social disease

This is a discussion on BAD----Doctors target gun violence as a social disease within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If they want to target a truly dangerous social disease, they should target Liberalism....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: BAD----Doctors target gun violence as a social disease

If they want to target a truly dangerous social disease, they should target Liberalism.
    bigdogtx, Spirit51 and jumpwing like this.

I, uh, don't understand people's objections.

I think gun violence is actually an issue! In fact, don't people carry./own (partially) because they're afraid of gun violence? Honestly, if some researchers want to try to figure out what actually prevents Bad Guys from shooting at people, I don't mind - because I don't really know the answer, I've only got theories. Unwrap a sociological clue, and I'm honestly all ears. Prison nutrition, for example, might be useful - it's also cheap and only would've been discovered by people doing the actual science. More data like that, and honestly, I'd not mind if we gave prisoners vitamins in order to help reduce total societal violence.

Someone upthread mentioned that cancer is a disease, too, which needs research. I've spent .... thousands? .... of dollars working on self-defense training with a gun, partially because I'm worried about being 'afflicted' by gun violence. I've certainly not given thousands of dollars to cancer-research organisations, to pro-actively improve my defense on that front!
    The only acceptable long-term outcome is to find a cure. It's an actual solution, requiring forward-thinking efforts.

Until then, we're just arguing about who's heartlessly pushing who off of a cliff.

One doctor is an emergency room physician. He's just there ordering CT Scans on everything coming through the door, running stabilization drills for the surgeon to bring them to the operating room and triage of what needs treatment first. The CT Scans expose folks to a lot of radiation, and that is cumulative. Some people get CT scans very frequently since they come into an ER all the time(monthly or even more often). That's more of a health concern than all of the rage against firearms. A lot of emergency medicine physicians hate guns - They see trauma firsthand, the effects on people, and the effects on the victims' survivors acutely. I know of a couple of EMD docs who love to shoot.

The other one is a CDC doctor, through a Federal Agency. Who's really speaking, there?

These news articles emphasize things out of the context. It is one or a few people's opinions, and far from any consensus statement (which would cost the taxpayers millions of dollars anyways through needless bureaucracy, endless/meaningless meetings/research, and failed policies with even poor funding to ENFORCE once instituted). Big government leads to nothing.

Each case is tragic but it is not reaching epidemic proportions. More deaths are more common from other causes. This is no public health emergency.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yup. Violence: the cultural pandemic among criminals.

Screwdriver violence. Lamp violence. Shoe violence, with those awful steel-toed variants that are such an extreme risk. And don't forget Saucepan violence, in convenient 8", 10" and 12" 'calibers'.
    I'm married to a small Italian woman...I've seen what saucepan violence can do!!!
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    I, uh, don't understand people's objections.

I think gun violence is actually an issue!
    Why criminals decide to be criminal and threaten others is an issue, sure. The fact that most criminals opt to improve their odds with weaponry of some sort is a fact of the criminality, yes. But a weapon and its use just isn't a "disease." The objection is to doctors characterizing it as such. It's an objection to seeing things how they wish them to be, not how they are.

Reality: lack of education, lack of parenting, lack of employment, glorification of violence and the violent (in media, in 'entertainment'). Guns, knives, whips, chains, rocks, lamps, screwdrivers, branches, tire irons, skillets ... none of these, really, have anything to do with any of the underlying influences. Nor will vilifying them as a disease, let alone the cause, cure any violence.

Objection: illogic; obfuscation; the ol' shell game, politically-motivated or otherwise.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Being a criminal is a social disease, using a gun is a cure! Gotta love the English language.
    scgunlover1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Why criminals decide to be criminal and threaten others is an issue, sure. The fact that most criminals opt to improve their odds with weaponry of some sort is a fact of the criminality, yes. But a weapon and its use just isn't a "disease." The objection is to doctors characterizing it as such. It's an objection to seeing things how they wish them to be, not how they are.

Reality: lack of education, lack of parenting, lack of employment, glorification of violence and the violent (in media, in 'entertainment'). Guns, knives, whips, chains, rocks, lamps, screwdrivers, branches, tire irons, skillets ... none of these, really, have anything to do with any of the underlying influences. Nor will vilifying them as a disease, let alone the cause, cure any violence.

Objection: illogic; obfuscation; the ol' shell game, politically-motivated or otherwise.
    Yeah, we agree. I just wasn't reading it the same way you were. I think using 'gun violence' as a metric is a perfectly reasonable one when trying to figure out what 'helps' and what 'doesn't'. I think of the tendency towards criminality as a social illness, one which is expressed in harm to others. Honestly, if vitamins help reduce criminality, it's hard not to think that it's got an aspect of illness.
    The only acceptable long-term outcome is to find a cure. It's an actual solution, requiring forward-thinking efforts.

Until then, we're just arguing about who's heartlessly pushing who off of a cliff.

As usual, doctors get the disease confused with the healthy response. Criminal violence Is the disease, gun ownership is a healthy response to a deadly threat. Like antibodies in a healthy individual. Doctors have treated fever for generations, but that is only a symptom, much like gun ownership, which is likewise a healthy and desired response to get rid of an infection which is the real problem.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Murphy was an optimist...

VIP Member
    IMO, the liberal press and liberal doctors are a social disease. There should be a move for tighter controls on both!
    pir8fan likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    I think that Doctors that are anti-anything are a social disease.

When they start addressing human nature, rather than things, maybe they'll start getting somewhere. Until then, they are just making noise for anyone that will listen.
    sigmanluke likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Gun Violence as a social disease-how convenient for them. That would justify research funds flowing into their pockets and guaranteed publishing for their papers.
    Not to leave out the fact that it would work into the Obamacare mandate. The "doctors" who said this must be the fraction of doctors what crowded the Rose Garden with Obama to push this agenda. The ones that Obama's people gave white coats to so the press and stupid people would buy into it. You know.....Sell Outs.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine181 View Post
    "Dr. David Satcher tried to make gun violence a public health issue when he became CDC director in 1993. Four years later, laws that allow the carrying of concealed weapons drew attention when two women were shot at an Indianapolis restaurant after a patron's gun fell out of his pocket and accidentally fired. Ironically, the victims were health educators in town for an American Public Health Association convention."

how does this happen? I thought modern firearms weren't supposed to fire if they fall
    You're assuming that the news article reported the entire story as it actually happened. More than likely, it was a "Plaxico Burress moment" and the clod who lost control of his weapon told the cops "it fell and it went off."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I'm currently taking a prescription for lawn mower violence. I used to be out of control when that #%$@& thing wouldn't start. People got hurt.

But I'm better now.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

[QUOTE I just read it and can't understand how people could buy into this "logic".

[/QUOTE]

People 'buy' into this because they are sheep. Men & women in white coats with all that education CANT be wrong now can they??? I just thought that all the M.D.'s would be too busy 'practicing' REAL medicine...
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

According to research I just completed.. There are approximately 885,000 mds in the US. There are approx. 98000 deaths accidentally caused by them each year. 11%.

There are approx. 3 million guns in the USA. There are approx. 11500 firearm deaths each year. 00.38%.

Perhaps the good doctors should sweep their own doorsteps before mucking about in things they know little about...

My research was done via a quick google search, and appears to be unbiased, thank you.
    sigmanluke, Spirit51 and paching like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links