BAD----Doctors target gun violence as a social disease

This is a discussion on BAD----Doctors target gun violence as a social disease within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Has anyone else seen this article? I just read it and can't understand how people could buy into this "logic". Doctors target gun violence as ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: BAD----Doctors target gun violence as a social disease

VIP Member

Thumbs down BAD----Doctors target gun violence as a social disease

Has anyone else seen this article? I just read it and can't understand how people could buy into this "logic".

Doctors target gun violence as a social disease | ksl.com

AP Chief Medical Writer

MILWAUKEE (AP) - Is a gun like a virus, a car, tobacco or alcohol? Yes, say public health experts, who in the wake of recent mass shootings are calling for a fresh look at gun violence as a social disease.

Mass shootings don't seem to be on the rise, but not all police agencies report details like the number of victims per shooting and reporting lags by more than a year, so recent trends are not known.

At the same time, violent crime has been falling and the murder rate is less than half what it was two decades ago. And Gallup polls have shown support for stricter gun laws has been falling since 1990. Last year 55 percent of Americans said gun laws should remain the same or become more lenient.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; August 12th, 2012 at 02:45 AM. Reason: removed some of the article
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Im sick, {cough].
    atctimmy and ep1953 like this.
    The easy way is always mined.

when you shoot someone and they go to the hospital doctors put that under gun related injuries. how many those "gun related" injuries are from self defense
    ArmyMan, ep1953 and CDW4ME like this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Gun Violence as a social disease-how convenient for them. That would justify research funds flowing into their pockets and guaranteed publishing for their papers.

Seems they learned this tactic from when the medical community went after tobacco or alcohol as social diseases. Sure gets them "research" bucks and will sway many people because the "doctor" is always right as opposed to the NRA.
    sensei2 likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

"Dr. David Satcher tried to make gun violence a public health issue when he became CDC director in 1993. Four years later, laws that allow the carrying of concealed weapons drew attention when two women were shot at an Indianapolis restaurant after a patron's gun fell out of his pocket and accidentally fired. Ironically, the victims were health educators in town for an American Public Health Association convention."

how does this happen? I thought modern firearms weren't supposed to fire if they fall

either way, I have trouble taking ANY study seriously for everything they say... there's so much $$/publicity/political agendas involved in them that it is hard as hell to find something unbiased (whether it's on purpose or not). "public health officials" sounds great, until you remember that doctors are just as human as the rest of us.

I just hope that this finding moves these drs to find a cure to the mental aspect of it and not the ban of firearms... if everybody in this world were mentally stable, morally correct, gun carriers, there would be close to no gun violence (or violence at all). unfortunately, that's not going to happen and going after the psychos' tools will not stop the psychos from being psychos. I could think of a LOT of ways to kill many innocents without a gun. Thankfully, I'm mentally stable enough to not ever consider something like that. Go after the mental health problems, everybody knows that there are a **** load of people out there with them.

They need to focus on cancer....which is a disease

Why don't these hypocrites do something constructive with their degrees and treat gunshot victims for free? Too much to ask I bet. Concentrate your efforts on what you do best, treating and healing the sick and injured.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by paching View Post
    Why don't these hypocrites do something constructive with their degrees and treat gunshot victims for free?

i would suspect that in many cases they HAVE to treat shooting victims gratis. when BG's shoot each other, i would be surprised if either had health insurance.

just because a person is a highly educated medical professional doesn't give them any special expertise outside their specialty. they're just used to being authority figures. as well trust a banker or auto mechanic to remove your appendix.

It's not Doctor's in general that are going after guns. It's the people behind the American Medical Association.

There are many Doctor's that have stated that they believe the AMA going after the gun issue makes no sense because it has no bearing on most health issues.

Don't forget the AP in general has been very anti-gun for as long as I can remember. The medical community as a whole, has no desire to take away our guns.

It's people like the AP's "Doctor" that make misleading statements that are the issue. You would think a medical professional would understand the real issue with the people that commit mass shootings. Instead, this Doctor, and I am using the term loosely here, is pushing a personal agenda instead of being objective.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    MILWAUKEE (AP) - Is a gun like a virus, a car, tobacco or alcohol? Yes, say public health experts, who in the wake of recent mass shootings are calling for a fresh look at gun violence as a social disease.
    A car's a social disease in need of regulation? Ahhh, I see utopia now ... with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Viruses, Cars and Whatever Else Doctors Deem Necessary watching over us, protecting us all from ourselves and each other.

Personally, I'd rather protect myself against the others, thank'ee very much.

This sort of thing's a bit of a concern, ludicrous as the lack of logic appears to be. Doctors are the ones with the power to assist in committing psycho cases, or at least those claimed to need evaluation, commitment for evaluation, or needing to be locked away for fear they're a danger. For that, alone, such lunacy bears watching.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Personally, I think the article would be more widely accepted if it were to focus on the social issue being VIOLENCE as opposed to limiting it to a specific type. Violence has become a more pervasive issue in the wake of movies, tv, video games, etc. It is more of a human/socioeconomic behavioral issue than a gun issue.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Personally, I think the article would be more widely accepted if it were to focus on the social issue being VIOLENCE as opposed to limiting it to a specific type.
    Yup. Violence: the cultural pandemic among criminals.

Screwdriver violence. Lamp violence. Shoe violence, with those awful steel-toed variants that are such an extreme risk. And don't forget Saucepan violence, in convenient 8", 10" and 12" 'calibers'.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I would consider NOT having a gun to be a potentially serious health issue.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    They need to focus on cancer....which is a disease
    Bingo. There are plenty of real diseases that they still don't have a clue over. 'Chemo' is just a barbaric means of poisoning the entire body, in hopes that it hurts the cancer too. One day it should be looked back upon like 'blood-letting' and pre-sterilization surgery.

They need not be making up new diseases.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links