Marysville police seize machine gun

This is a discussion on Marysville police seize machine gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; m8kwmf-m8kwkmmachinegunweb.jpg Huh, Ok maybe it was determined the cobray was converted to full auto. The Good thing; the gang banger is off the street. Marysville ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By Poseidon

Thread: Marysville police seize machine gun

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar

m8kwmf-m8kwkmmachinegunweb.jpg

Huh, Ok maybe it was determined the cobray was converted to full auto.

The Good thing; the gang banger is off the street.

Marysville police arrested one man and seized a machine gun Friday night.

Officers pulled over a vehicle at about 7:15 p.m. at 10th and G streets for a speeding violation.
    The driver, Ricky Bernard Penn, 21, of Yuba City, was determined to be an unlicensed driver, police said.

Inside the vehicle, police said they found a 9mm M-11 cobra machine gun loaded with an extended magazine.
    Penn was booked into Yuba County Jail on charges of possession and transportation of an assault weapon/machine gun, along with an enhancement for gang affiliation, police said. Bail information was not available.

Officers were working on a speed enforcement detail funded by the California Office of Traffic Safety

Marysville police seize machine gun | police, machine, gun - Appeal-Democrat
    Last edited by sid1; August 12th, 2012 at 01:32 PM.

Cobray/Ingram made both sub-machine guns and semi-auto guns, yes?

From the article, it's unclear which was found, though the article says (predictably, if offered the choice) "machine gun."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Of course it’s a machine gun, isn’t that the way it is always pictured in the movies?
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    Anyone wanna bet that it was semi auto?
    dukalmighty likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Though I risk being pedantic, I will say this. Even if it were, in fact, capable of fully automatic fire, it still would not be a machine gun as it fires a pistol round. It would be a SUB-machine gun. Machine guns fire full power cartridges like the 7.62x51.

It might even be the BB-shooting AirSoft variety. I mean, how simple would it have been for a newsie to do 5mins of "research" and get it wrong, by pulling up a page describing the M-11 as a "full auto machine gun." Hard to say, with so many variants out there.

Still, the article claims police said it was a machine gun, and that the charges being pressed include possession of a machine gun. Machine gun it is likely to be, unless other info refutes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Good thing he didn't use it. Good jobs Marysville pd!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Whether it was a fully auto weapon or semi auto doesn't matter. If it is classified as an assault weapon by the state of CA it's banned.We all know the press (especially the west coast press) is going to call it a machine gun because it looks like one.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The only thing that matters is that the moron was caught breaking one law. While being in violation of other laws. He will get 3 squares a day for many years at other peoples expense.

Our penal system at it's finest. He will get out at some point, commit more crimes, and end up back in. Another career criminal.

At least the genral public is not in danger while he's incarcerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Though I risk being pedantic, I will say this. Even if it were, in fact, capable of fully automatic fire, it still would not be a machine gun as it fires a pistol round. It would be a SUB-machine gun. Machine guns fire full power cartridges like the 7.62x51.
    Picky, picky, picky. Just like me!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Since he did not commit a "violent' crime, he will probably do a short stretch and get bounced out under AB-109. Our Governor has decided it is cheaper for the state to release these guys and hope they get shot later.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

it's machine pistol. i was always under impression that "machine gun" has to be chambered in 5.56 or larger belt fed or a magazine that has 100 rounds
    dukalmighty likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Anyone wanna bet that it was semi auto?
    I am with you. I had a friend who had one...once. At one time in the early 90s, some SWAT teams were experimenting with using them to see if there was a application for the tactics of the teams.

Not sure how that worked out as when I see them on TV now, they are usually using AR15s. They were semi automatic, not full auto.

If a undereducated street thug had one and HE converted it....he should give up crime and go into gun smithing. He would be a natural and earn a good honest living.

Yeah, THAT'S going to happen.

I agree that I think they were probably semi auto and not full auto. IMO I think they were called KG99, but not sure.
    Last edited by Spirit51; August 12th, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I saw a converted gun that started out as a SA the fun switch looked like An AR15 selector on the left side towards the front of the gun,It had been confiscated when an LEO saw the barrel; shroud they thought was a silencer peeking out from under his car seat,the PD acquired the gun after filing the necessary ATF paperwork before 1984 and every now and then the range officer brought it out for a little shooting fun at the gun range.It fired from an open bolt and IIRC those are the models that can be converted Not totally sure,but I think the closed bolt guns can't be converted or if they can takes a lot more work.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links