Questionable: Suspect Says He Shot in Self-Defense

This is a discussion on Questionable: Suspect Says He Shot in Self-Defense within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This shooting happend at a Rich Oil station that I have frequented in the past. It is just outside the floodwall of Huntington's city limits ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Questionable: Suspect Says He Shot in Self-Defense

Questionable: Suspect Says He Shot in Self-Defense

This shooting happend at a Rich Oil station that I have frequented in the past. It is just outside the floodwall of Huntington's city limits in Wayne Co. I used to buy gasoline there often. There is not a lot of information at this point.

I also went to school with someone with the last name the victim has.

The shooter is claiming "self defense" but I'm calling hot-headed altercation and bad shoot.

Suspect says he killed man while acting in self-defense - The Herald Dispatch
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

In the State this happened in does the State have to prove it wasn't self defense or is it entirely up to the shooter to prove it was?

Michael

They mentioned that they found a knife at the seen, if the knife is the deceased, then the self defense claim is legit. More info is needed to make a for sure call on this.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Certainly not enough details to call one way or the other.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Suspect " had no signs that he was intoxicated and did not have any injuries or markings from the physical altercation with " victim(sic.)
    Motorcycle gear is probably pretty good to be wearing if someone comes at you with a knife. Being injured isn't a prerequisite.
    Just saying'...
    Skillet Hot!

Too little Info,such as who started the altercation and over what,If I'm carrying I'm gonna try to deescalate,but to be honest sometimes there are individuals with anger issues that seem to get more heated over nothing
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Time to leave, if they come after you with the motorcycle, just refuse to stop, and drive to the nearest police station.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

if they found a knife at the scene and he is claiming self-defense why arrest him and make him spend money to bail out and get a lawyer. So much for innocent UNTIL proven guilty, more like the other way around

edit: it is hard to say what happen but if they don't know then why arrest what could be a victim

Lead Moderator
    Hard to know what happened at this point. Why do you feel this is a " hot head" who shot the other man? The article gives no indications as to what happened leading to the shooting.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Hard to know what happened at this point. Why do you feel this is a " hot head" who shot the other man? The article gives no indications as to what happened leading to the shooting.

Being a "biker" for many years I understand the life style and most bikers carry a knife. being out late (11:30pm) we can almost assume that the biker had been drinking (time in the seat tells me most do ) and the other man being "25" and full of testosterone and with a gun probably was aggressive back and heated up the situation to the point of an attack by the biker. so now did the biker pull a knife in response to the shooter being aggressive? Chances are pretty good and the shooter countermeasure by pulling a gun and shooting "in fear for his life".

This is where I have a problem with the law, they arrest him and the investigation fines him “in the right” he has still spent this money (if he has it) on a bail bondsmen and lawyer and maybe/good chance he is going to lose his job and/or even his place of residences so were is the "inosent until proven guilty at.....makes me wonder what side the system is on?

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Being a "biker" for many years I understand the life style and most bikers carry a knife. being out late (11:30pm) we can almost assume that the biker had been drinking (time in the seat tells me most do ) and the other man being "25" and full of testosterone and with a gun probably was aggressive back and heated up the situation to the point of an attack by the biker. so now did the biker pull a knife in response to the shooter being aggressive? Chances are pretty good and the shooter countermeasure by pulling a gun and shooting "in fear for his life".
    I think you have it backwards; the shooter (Burgess) was on the motorcycle. Additionally: “Burgess had no signs that he was intoxicated and did not have any injuries or markings from the physical altercation with Epperly”
    Molon Labe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post

This is where I have a problem with the law, they arrest him and the investigation fines him “in the right” he has still spent this money (if he has it) on a bail bondsmen and lawyer and maybe/good chance he is going to lose his job and/or even his place of residences so were is the "inosent until proven guilty at.....makes me wonder what side the system is on?
    Maybe I'm misreading the article, but it looks like the shooter was the one with the motorcycle, and that he had not been drinking.

Either way, not enough info to make a decision on what caused it to escalate to a shooting situation and whether it was a legitimate SD shooting.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I stand corrected I went back and reread the article and the biker did shoot the car driver. I lost track in at the part were the biker his girlfriend (car driver and not the biker and his two friends. at first glance it sounded like the girl was on the bike with the other but she was with the driver of the car so void what every I said about that part of it

PS; as far as the drinking part all of the bikers I know by 11:45 at night have had a few under their belts so the statement was made from experience

It can be hard to stake claims to self-defense if witnessed to have been engaging in an "altercation" with another, without having been witnessed withdrawing, without making clearly-understood statements of non-desire to fight, without being clearly reacting to threats instead of seeming to be co-equal in making them.

The guy's got a tough row to hoe, it seems.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Another reason he might have got arrested is some states like Texas have a "mutual combat clause" that if you and another exchange words and escalates the incident the situation then you can't claim self defense

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links