Bad: two home invaders steal food...

This is a discussion on Bad: two home invaders steal food... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by wolverine181 I think you're looking at pitbulls a lil too negatively. They're not all bred to be aggressive, they're good, loyal, dogs, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bad: two home invaders steal food...

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine181 View Post
    I think you're looking at pitbulls a lil too negatively. They're not all bred to be aggressive, they're good, loyal, dogs, but everybody that wants to be gangsta needs dem sum pits
    I see them how they are. You wouldn't let a "domesticated "wolf in your house, why a pitbull?

2. Remove Ads

I completely blame the pit bull's owner. They got loose, found food, then attacked another dog who was upset it's food was being eaten. That said, if I found any animal in my house that was aggressive to my people or pets I'd shoot it without second thought, but I'd still blame the neighbor.
    pgrass101 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Gosh, hope Ginger is going to be OK. I would get me a lawyer and at least recover the vet bill. The owners are responsible for those dogs. Check the Texas laws concerning animal attacks. It can be a felony for the owners. Two pits in your home on the attack is a reason for extreme measures. What if they had attacked your family? Every pit bull owner tells the same story when their dogs attack someone or another pet. " They're good dogs, they would never hurt anyone." I have seen good pits, gentle as any dog could be. But I would not trust one. I'm not down on the Pit Bulls, but no other breed has the rep. they have.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I would not shoot unless there was no other choice. Unfortunately, many people own a pit bull because the dog makes them feel like a man. Of course, many men own guns for the same reason, and lack the guts to ever use a gun to defend themselves. I rescued a bunch of pits from the pound from 1981 to 1985. I had plenty of fenced property for them to play until I found them a home.I never had a bad pit,big babies. The only dog I had that was close to pure evil was a Chow. I attempted to love the dog but it was just not possible. When the chow tried to bite me,it was back to the pound.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I agree its 100% the owners of an animal fault. Pit bulls are not breed to be aggressive they are trained to be aggressive. Or many times they are really not trained(or bare minimum training) at all by owners and are allowed to "run" with their animal instincts.

I remember when it was the German Shepard that was the "dangerous" dog and then it was the Doberman Pincher. With those 2 breeds it was the same as it is now with the Pit Bulls, its the owner not the animal.
    Lish and wolverine181 like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    I see them how they are. You wouldn't let a "domesticated "wolf in your house, why a pitbull?
    Myself, I see badly-trained ones for how they are. I see those that aren't for how they are, as well.

A truly socialized, domesticated member of the family household is one thing. A wild animal, or one heavily trained to act like one, is something else entirely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would shoot and here is why(this is a bit wordy):

An old pal had a sweet female pit named Patches that was totally harmless and friendly and eager to please. One day they were walking down the sidewalk by their house and sweet Patches walked over to a little girl playing in her own yard and bit her a hard pinch with a a slight puncture on her butt. Patches spent 6 weeks in quarantine. The child's mother was very kind to not insist the dog be destroyed. Patches hadn't really tried to hurt the child. Just a nip and she sauntered back to my friend to continue the walk.
    Unrelated, but my pal moved to a rural area in another town. Patches was later seriously mauled by a 2 dogs from another neighbor in her own carport. My pal blasted both attacking dogs with a shotgun in the driveway and left their bodies at a crossroads. He called the number on their tags from a pay phone so the owner could come pick them up.
    As a kid our family dogs(labs) were chasing a neighbors ducks on his property and killed one. He told my father if they did it again he would shoot them. No one had fences around there and the dogs went back for more fun at the pond. One of them got shot and died.
    I had a pet turkey named ET that got eaten by another neighbor's Doberman. Our dogs killed all our chickens and Patches died in a house fire. Animals live in a different world than we do. Ethics and morality isn't part of that world. Anyone who has an animal will face this to some degree. Domestication is a big gray area. Owners must control their predators and secure their prey. Like dogs and chickens.
    Yes, I would shoot the large dangerous dogs(pits, rotts, chows, dobbies, etc.)attacking my pets in my house. And, I would curse their owners for putting them and me and mine in that position.

This thread was unique in that the only thing I think a person can ethically steal is food. Like a starving child running off with an apple. And, conversely, many here are "prepped" to some degree. With food and arms to protect that food. Without a stable society we humans quickly revert to animal. That's a different world...

I wish today's home invasions and muggings were about people stealing your beef jerky and carrying off your refrigerator. But, they are violent criminals acting like animals.
    Skillet Hot!

Invaded the home and attacked and injured one of the residents (pet), bang.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Shortly after we acquired our current property we had an incident where my wife found our neighbor's pit bull coming onto our land and roaming. We have donkeys and a flock of chickens and ducks as well as a handful of cats. She turned out to be biddable dog who let my wife leash her and return her to her owner. My wife told them they were very lucky to get their dog back alive as both of us carry and although we'd feel real bad about it we wouldn't hesitate to put the dog down had it attacked us or the livestock. Our neighbor got the message and put up a proper fence. No further troubles.

VIP Member
    They were hungry, feed them some lead.
    tricolordad likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Myself, I see badly-trained ones for how they are. I see those that aren't for how they are, as well.

A truly socialized, domesticated member of the family household is one thing. A wild animal, or one heavily trained to act like one, is something else entirely.
    What I'm saying is this: it's the Pit Bull's nature to act aggressively, just like a wolf. You can train it all you want, but it's always up to mother nature to decide what ultimately happens. That's why I don't allow them in my yard. They show, they die. Simple as that. I've posted warnings where all my neighbors can see them, gotten some hate mail in the mailbox and on the front door, don't care. I have 2 young children; and while I can probably fight off a Pit Bull with my bare hands...they obviously cannot. It's your choice to let that freak of nature in your house, so when it turns on you, don't act surprised. I have no sympathy for people who ignore the history of naturally violent animals.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Barbara Kay

Breed Specific Legislation is coming. We have 2 Boxers. The twits in Canada cannot tell the difference.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Man or beast...do not enter my home without an invite...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    I agree its 100% the owners of an animal fault. Pit bulls are not breed to be aggressive they are trained to be aggressive. Or many times they are really not trained(or bare minimum training) at all by owners and are allowed to "run" with their animal instincts.

I remember when it was the German Shepard that was the "dangerous" dog and then it was the Doberman Pincher. With those 2 breeds it was the same as it is now with the Pit Bulls, its the owner not the animal.
    Ever notice how both those breeds became dangerous after being portrayed as the killer in a movie?

Michael
    mr.stuart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    What I'm saying is this: it's the Pit Bull's nature to act aggressively, just like a wolf.
    that's just not true though. they said the same thing about german shepherds, pinchers, rottweilers, you name it (people still say it about these dogs today, just not as much as pitbulls). their reputation is not enough to act as if every pit bull is aggressive. they have that reputation cause the wannabe thugs or the dog fighting ring runners all get pit bulls and make them like that. a pit bull is not even close to a wolf.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links