Off-Duty Cop Hits 4-Year-Old Girl With Motorcycle then shoots dad

This is a discussion on Off-Duty Cop Hits 4-Year-Old Girl With Motorcycle then shoots dad within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Thunder71 As far as your comment on biker negligence, I for one never said that - but to try and make it ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Off-Duty Cop Hits 4-Year-Old Girl With Motorcycle then shoots dad

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    As far as your comment on biker negligence, I for one never said that - but to try and make it sound intentional is what I don't necessarily believe.
    I went back to the article and re-read. I missed this the first time I read it; "in order not to strike the girl directly, the cop jumped off his motorcycle, pulling it down on its side on the pavement. "

I stand corrected. That was a stupid/negligent thing to do (but only a seasoned biker would know that). Please disregard my tirade above.

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    The only possible time where it might be a better idea to purposely end up on the ground is when it's better than the alternative, like going over a guardrail down a cliff or into the middle of a ten-car pile-up. Once you lay down a bike, you have absolutely no control over where you will end up.
    How to Fall or Lay Down the Bike

He may have believed, rightly or wrongly, he had no alternative.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    For those saying that he was negligent in laying the bike down, I think that is a little too judgmental. I've been riding for well over 30 years, and there are always unknowns. Heck, I almost laid my Night Train down in Gatlinburg this past summer when I cautiously applied the breaks after a brief rain on a hot day. The only time I have laid a bike down was once in 1982 when crossing an icy bridge. I was not negligent then either. Bad things happens sometimes, regardless of the skill level, and I can't guarantee that someday my bike won't be laying on it's side again someday. I find it hard to believe that there are riders out there who are so competent that they can provide assurance that they will brake properly under all conditions.
    The article says:
    In order not to strike the girl directly, the cop jumped off his motorcycle, pulling it down on its side on the pavement. However, the motorcycle skidded and flipped, hitting the 4-year-old girl and her 18-year-old cousin, John Passley.
    That is not an accidental fall on a slick road as you describe, but intentionally "laying it down" and that would generally be incorrect operation of a motorcycle in an emergency stop. Lots of folks have been riding for decades without ever learning how to properly avoid a collision. Heck, some are afraid to use the front brake, which ought to the the MAIN brake. We don't know for sure, but it appears that he might have avoided hitting the girl with better riding skills. My main point in bringing it up in the first place was in case anyone on this forum thinks "laying it down" is the way to avoid a collision. If anyone thinks that, then I recommend they take a MSF motorcycle safety course. Sounds like that cop could use it. Lots of folks on this forum think gun safety training is a good idea and would avoid mishaps--it's the same thing for motorcycles.

EDIT: I see WHEC724 responded while I was typing this. "Previous tirade" disregarded. But you don't have to be a seasoned rider to know how to ride safely; just take a safety course. Cheers.
    WHEC724 likes this.

I echo the sentiments of others; who does not help their child rather than beat up the person who hurt them. Priorities fool!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    My main point in bringing it up in the first place was in case anyone on this forum thinks "laying it down" is the way to avoid a collision. If anyone thinks that, then I recommend they take a MSF motorcycle safety course.
    I disagree with that statement in one respect. I had to lay my 750 down when a flat bed truck stopped short in front of me due to faulty tail lights, thanks to my quick thinking the only injury was to my pride and some scuffed up paint and chrome. My bike was logged up under the rear axle of the truck, and if I hadn't laid it down, I probably would have been seriously hurt. I rode bikes most of my life up until just a few years ago. During that time I avoided a few close calls with my ability to handle the machine through breaking and even a quick burst of gas if need be. One thing that's not clear and could be missing. The operator may have just flat out panicked and hit the rear brake and the tail end swung around resulting in the bike completely laying down and sliding into the child; but who knows. I agree with folks sentiments regarding the armchair yada yada, but the meat and potatoes of this event was the father getting wacked out and trying to do grave bodily injury to the officer over something the officer/operator would have surly avoided if at all possible.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I disagree with that statement in one respect. I had to lay my 750 down when a flat bed truck stopped short in front of me due to faulty tail lights, thanks to my quick thinking the only injury was to my pride and some scuffed up paint and chrome. My bike was logged up under the rear axle of the truck, and if I hadn't laid it down, I probably would have been seriously hurt. I rode bikes most of my life up until just a few years ago. During that time I avoided a few close calls with my ability to handle the machine through breaking and even a quick burst of gas if need be.
    I hear ya. As OD* quoted above, "The only possible time where it might be a better idea to purposely end up on the ground is when it's better than the alternative." Glad you survived it with minimal injury and damage.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    . Your comment started off reasonable enough, but your last statement IMO is a load of bunk. Idiots delivering street justice on a whim is never a good thing and should never acceptable. Unless you were there to see the entire event unfold and evaluate all the variables involved, how can you even say the officer deserved anything. Seems to me that it all started as a terrible accident that was escalated into a deadly situation by a hotheaded individual that felt he had the right to be judge, jury and executioner.Like you said at the start. The dad should have been more aware of where his daughter was at all times and IMO that is spot on. IMO, the whole horrible situation is a direct result of his lack of parental guidance and due to the fathers rage, it's his fault he got shot.
    But everybody else who is saying "good shoot" wasn't there to see the entire scene, either. That is my point.

Some times you have to take care of your own business instead of filing a police report.

I'm also not saying the police officer was in the wrong. If he thought his life was in jeopardy, then he had to shoot the guy. I get it.

I just think it sucks that this guy was just minding his own business, sees his daughter get hit by a motorcycle and ends up getting killed because of it.

There isn't enough in the article for people to call him a thug and to say he got what he deserved. I've never seen a cop car drive the speed limit. What if the cop was driving around recklessly because he has a get out of jail free card in his wallet?

The situation was unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    But everybody else who is saying "good shoot" wasn't there to see the entire scene, either. That is my point.

Some times you have to take care of your own business instead of filing a police report.

I'm also not saying the police officer was in the wrong. If he thought his life was in jeopardy, then he had to shoot the guy. I get it.

I just think it sucks that this guy was just minding his own business, sees his daughter get hit by a motorcycle and ends up getting killed because of it.

There isn't enough in the article for people to call him a thug and to say he got what he deserved. I've never seen a cop car drive the speed limit. What if the cop was driving around recklessly because he has a get out of jail free card in his wallet?

The situation was unfortunate.
    I have been in a number of accidents and not one have I ever started punching the other person out and had my friend help; this is what thugs do and instead of tending to his daughter he chose to hit the other person (police officer or not). Remember this daughter and cousin were crossing against traffic and failed to check and see if it was clear or chose to ignore the oncoming traffic

Well, at least the officer was able to defend himself, unlike the rest of ILL. If you look at the pic in the article the man to the left of our loving daddy, looks to be rolling something. Either way, this incident sucks for all involved.

I feel that if the officer had been speeding, he would have had no time to take any action at all, and would have run over and killed the girl outright. He did the best he could in a bad situation, Dad got what he deserved.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Ummm...shouldn't the 18 year old watching the girl maybe waited for the light until it was safe to cross the street?

Would have avoided the whole thing.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Dad should have beat the 18 year old.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links