Don't Mess with My Car....

This is a discussion on Don't Mess with My Car.... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man takes action on car burglars By Jennifer Steeley, Staff Writer - Beaumont Examiner GROVES, TEXAS – Several residents in the neighborhood surrounding the 2600 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't Mess with My Car....

Man takes action on car burglars
    By Jennifer Steeley, Staff Writer - Beaumont Examiner

GROVES, TEXAS – Several residents in the neighborhood surrounding the 2600 block of 4th Ave. called Groves police reporting that a shooting was underway. According to police reports, the 9-1-1 dispatcher could hear shots on at least one of the emergency calls.

Officers arrived at the scene at approximately 2:40 a.m. on Sept. 22 and detained multiple individuals at the scene, including one suspect who was attempting to flee the scene in a red car.

According to the determination made by investigating officers, the situation escalated as one resident at the address returned home to discover two individuals burglarizing his vehicle. The owner of the vehicle was armed with a handgun and fired several shots at the suspects as they were trying to escape.

Police report the suspect apprehended from the vehicle suffered a minor gunshot wound and they have leads as to the other possible suspect’s identity. In the vehicle officers found, along with the suspect, various gunshot holes in the car and crack cocaine. The suspect apprehended at the scene was charged with burglary of a motor vehicle and possession of a controlled substance. The owner of the vehicle was also questioned but officials state no charges have been filed on him at this time.

=======================
    There seems to be quite a few of these type of citizen shootings in Beaumont lately. Must be a gun friendly town.....

They seem to assume that the crack cocaine belonged to the person who stole the care. The owner of the car shot holes into his own car. I wonder if the crack really belonged to the car owner and he was upset that his drugs were being stole.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    They seem to assume that the crack cocaine belonged to the person who stole the care. The owner of the car shot holes into his own car. I wonder if the crack really belonged to the car owner and he was upset that his drugs were being stole.
    Kind of makes you wonder.

Welcome from Eastern Idaho raevan, I noticed this is your first post.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

actually it is txshooter,s firt post but thanks for the welcome anyway.
    You will notice that I have 345 post.. Been here a while.

OOPS sorry about that, welcome txshooter
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Er, why is this guy opening fire on these guys "as they were trying to escape"?!?

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Welcome from Texas!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

I think the story is saying that the victim was shooting at the car the bad guys were trying to get away in. Not his own car. Either way, shooting to protect your property, while it may be legal(depending on where you are) is a very dicey situation...

Welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by tj1231 View Post
    I think the story is saying that the victim was shooting at the car the bad guys were trying to get away in. Not his own car. Either way, shooting to protect your property, while it may be legal(depending on where you are) is a very dicey situation...

Welcome!!
    That is the way I read it as well, they were escaping in the vehile they came in.
    ** Is your mission on earth complete? Check your pulse. **
    ******** If you still have one, the answer is NO! *********

Quote Originally Posted by tj1231 View Post

Welcome!!

Especially since you are responsible for ever bullet fired!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Er, why is this guy opening fire on these guys "as they were trying to escape"?!?

Matt
    The action may be rash ... don't know that I would do the same ... but under Texas law, protection of property at night can be a defense for the use of deadly force ... someone breaking into a car at night, in Texas, particularly if they have a record or have something illegal in thier possesion, might as well paint a target on their shirt ... for it is unlikely the local DA is going to even attempt to file charges against the cars rightful owner if he used deadly force ... a grand jury would have little choice, barring other circumstances, but to no-blll the shooter ...
    ** Is your mission on earth complete? Check your pulse. **
    ******** If you still have one, the answer is NO! *********

As did I Witness.

- Janq would not shoot at fleeing/escaping criminals
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Yes, in Texas you can legally use deadly force for the protection of one's property against arson, burglary, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime.....or to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping.

It is highly unlikely he will be charged.

Fireing at the suspects as they were trying to escape sounds like bad news . I dont know about Texas but a D.A. will have a good case against the owner of the car being vandalised because his life was not in danger if they were fleeing.If they were attacking that is another story all together.At least thats how it was taught in My CCW class in Nevada

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links