ulgy-6 young teens beat man because 'they were just bored'

This is a discussion on ulgy-6 young teens beat man because 'they were just bored' within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When police rounded most of the teens up ... they said they attacked the victim, identified as Pat Mahaney, because "they were just bored and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: ulgy-6 young teens beat man because 'they were just bored'

When police rounded most of the teens up ... they said they attacked the victim, identified as Pat Mahaney, because "they were just bored and were looking for something to do," the report states.

Situation: do you shoot if you can? When do you determine that you are in trouble and deadly force is necessary?

6 young teens beat man in Cincinnati suburb because 'they were just bored' | cleveland.com

Outnumbered 6 to 1? I shoot till there is only one left (if they continue to attack), then the disparity of force is gone.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I think the disparity of force (6 against 1) would make shooting legally justifiable. Now having said that, it would probably depend on the size of the people involved (as we have learned from another case). If one were to shoot a couple of skinny, innocent-looking teens one might have a problem convincing a jury that is was justified.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Agreed Brad426. Definitely depends on the "young teens" . Some i have worked with are quite scary, others puny.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

So, when they grow up to be 15 and 16 year olds... and get their first guns... what will they do when they're bored then?

The kids were charged with felonious assault... most states allow for deadly force to stop a forcible felony...

The victim was 45, I'm 56... I do believe I would draw my weapon before they got me on the ground... I wonder how bored they'd be then?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Are you afraid for your life?
    --Jason--

^this.
    mano3 likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Are you afraid for your life?
    Of course this when you are making the decision. But I can think of a case where the guy says he was afraid for his life and shot and it hasn't turned out so well for him. Granted these are different scenarios, but never think because you are legally justified that the legal system will treat you accordingly (especially after the media spins it).
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I think the parents should have kept a closer watch on those boys and who they made friends with.
    Brad426 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

6 on 1, even if they are skinny twerps could still cause a threat especially if they are organized and working as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    I think the parents should have kept a closer watch on those boys and who they made friends with.
    Just like a Georgia fan to turn this around on the parents. Sheesh, you guys and your simplistic views... what about what society has done to these poor kids? The video games and violent movies and Twinkies and stuff?
    Clint Eastwood

The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that 45-year-old Pat Mahaney is back home after being hospitalized for four days with internal injuries and bleeding, cuts and bruises. Police in the northern Cincinnati suburb of North College Hill say he was found covered in blood last Saturday evening.
    I don't know about Pat Mahaney but when I was 45 years old 6 13-14 year old kids jumping me would have received some whuppin.
    troutkiller likes this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Just like a Georgia fan to turn this around on the parents. Sheesh, you guys and your simplistic views... what about what society has done to these poor kids? The video games and violent movies and Twinkies and stuff?
    LOL yeah.. I forgot that I'm supposed to make the attackers the victims and say it wasn't their fault. If only their parents would just have given them everything they ever wanted in life, they wouldn't have been bored and they wouldn't have had to beat up someone. I think the parents should file a lawsuit with Sony and Microsoft for not making their video games stimulating enough for their kids.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I can just see the headlines... "Armed Man Guns Down 6 Unarmed Children!"
    Does anyone doubt me on this?
    Once the attack was on, it seems to me that you'd have to let them kick you to near unconsciousness before pulling the trigger.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    I can just see the headlines... "Armed Man Guns Down 6 Unarmed Children!"
    Does anyone doubt me on this?
    Once the attack was on, it seems to me that you'd have to let them kick you to near unconsciousness before pulling the trigger.
    Nope, don't doubt you one bit... you'd surely end up in court having to articulate the clear and present danger and you better have some hospitalization and some pretty gruesome pictures of your abrasions...

I'm thinking that I'd be brandishing early and hope that allowed the idle, bored youth to select a different target upon which to banish their restiveness.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links