Woman forced to shoot intruder to protect herself and children

This is a discussion on Woman forced to shoot intruder to protect herself and children within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; WALKER CO. - A Walker County woman was forced to shoot an intruder to protect herself and her children. ..... "It wasn't like, oh can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Woman forced to shoot intruder to protect herself and children

Woman forced to shoot intruder to protect herself and children

WALKER CO. - A Walker County woman was forced to shoot an intruder to protect herself and her children.

"It wasn't like, oh can I pull the trigger? It was like when should I shoot? When will he be close enough that I know I won't miss him? That's one of the things that was going through my mind," said Lewis.

Woman forced to shoot intruder to protect herself and children | Alabama's 13

She gave the suspect sevearl warning, he now is in the hospital and is facing secearl charges
    BurgerBoy and ArmyMan like this.

2. Remove Ads

Did she run out of ammo or something? I dont understand in that situation why he would be recovering at a hospital. Good for her though. One for having a firearm, and two knowing how and being able to use it.
    Last edited by DrahtDog; August 17th, 2012 at 05:54 AM.

Don't mess with a woman with children and a gun

3897.jpg
    BurgerBoy, Fitch and Remy like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Good for her, although she does need some range time and practice!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I agree - good for her. As for the range time - she did stop the threat - and that is the main thing...

On another note - she has 2 daughters. I bet the word gets around to the boys - don't mess with those girls or their mama will shoot ya. Should keep the riff raff away.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Good work. Ditto on hitting the range!
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I wonder if this story will go National

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I agree, good for her.

I don't understand the comment about range time and practice. Yes, it's a good idea, practice is a good idea, but what exactly did she do wrong that would lead you to believe she didn't have enough range time and practice?

She had made the commitment to not be a victim when she bought the gun several years ago. She kept her cool in a very stressful situation. She had the courage to stand her ground and pull the trigger in defense of herself and her children. It reads like she hit with her first (and probably only) shot, presumably someplace in the torso which is where she should have been aiming. She stopped the attack, defended her family, her kids didn't have to watch a man be shot to death, she doesn't have to live with having killed someone. We don't know how many shots she fired though I'm guessing it was only one and the guy turned around. I'd be willing to bet she'd have shot again if the first shot hadn't turned him around.

At the moment, given the very limited information we have, I'm having a hard time thinking what she could have done better.

The cops like it, her lawyer will like it, she's good with it, her kids can sleep at night knowing Mom is there for them, they don't have to look at the stairs and visualize a man dying there, and they know what to do when they are the adults. What's to not like?

Good on her.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Here's another report of the story.

Alabama Woman Martha Lewis Shoots Home Intruder to Protect Herself and Her Daughters | Video | TheBlaze.com

And on the humorous side... them southern gals keep some odd things in their bedrooms...

"Lewis said she called the police and grabbed her gun, then went to her daughters’ room and told them each to get something to defend themselves with. She said one grabbed an ax and one got a butcher knife."

Is there a gentleman in the picture I wonder? I ask because that is my situation. The Mrs. is at home with the kids while I am out often and while I worry, I worry less because she is prepared. Good for this lady. And +1 for any boys that come a courting!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

P5
    Good for her!!!

Chalk another one up for the good guys!!!
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!!
    Walther P5 / AMT AutomagII

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    And on the humorous side... them southern gals keep some odd things in their bedrooms...

"Lewis said she called the police and grabbed her gun, then went to her daughters’ room and told them each to get something to defend themselves with. She said one grabbed an ax and one got a butcher knife."
    I admit I chuckled at that. At least it wasn't a chain saw.

She kept her cool really well on camera. Didn't talk too fast, didn't say too much. She will doubtless reinforce the front door.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Just wait until the intruder sues her.

I don't know who put in that door but that need a foot up the butt. There was no reinforcement at all. For 20 bucks you can add bigger striker plates and a cover around the locks to strengthen the door itself. All of mine are done like this.
    Just an FYI if you do the larger striker plates use extra-long screws so they go all the way into the 2x4’s the door frame is nailed to and it will strengthen the door quite a bit

This one goes in the good catagory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links