bad, ugly- was it a firing squad or justified?

This is a discussion on bad, ugly- was it a firing squad or justified? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "It appeared to be a firing squad dressed in police uniforms," Jewel Hall told CNN from her hometown of Albuquerque, New Mexico. "There was another ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: bad, ugly- was it a firing squad or justified?

bad, ugly- was it a firing squad or justified?

"It appeared to be a firing squad dressed in police uniforms," Jewel Hall told CNN from her hometown of Albuquerque, New Mexico. "There was another way. They did not have to kill him. He had not done anything. He was not violent. He was not a murderer. He was not a criminal."
    Was 46 shots too much? Look like a firing squad to me, no effort was made to Taser him

Video captures Michigan man's shooting by police - CNN.com

2. Remove Ads

As a wise man once said: "Play stupid games win stupid prizes". Our Michigan man definitely played a stupid game. As for the police action here, just on the strength of the video it would appear to have been excessive.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    If the police were justified to shoot him once what do the other 45 shots matter?

I believe there was enough threat to justify the first shot.

Senior Moderator
    If its justified, its justified.

Technically it doesent matter if you shot once or vaporized him with a M1A1 Abrams tank.

Any officer knows not to try to use a Taser when lethal force should be used. Using a Taser would expose an officer unecessarily and possibly get him killed.For that matter, the dog handler propably didnt want to risk his dog getting cut.

Challenging the cops and bringing a knife to a gun fight has always been a losing proposition.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

sgb
    6 Officers, 46 shots = 7.6 shots per Officer. The Command Officer on scene used poor judgement in his/her handling of this incident. Regardless the shoot itself will be ruled as justified.
    Eagleks likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Well, he was holding a knife and refused to drop it while in a verbal confrontation with police. On the face of things it seems justified. It does seem like an excessive amount of shots were fired, but you shoot until the threat is over, so if he didn't go down until shot 46, it would have been justified.

I would like to see the video from other angles, but the article said that the cameras in the other cars "did not work," which is a little bit fishy.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Senior Moderator
    I do think they had just cause to shoot him, he was apporaching an officer with a weapon when he was shot. I does seem that shots were fired after he was on the ground in the video, but that could have been one officer unloading his weapon.
    Badey likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

This happened on July 1st and now CNN decides to air this on August 17th? Wasn't there a big gap between when the Zimmerman case occured and when the media jumped all over it? No agenda here...

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I don't get it.

If they had a dog, why didn't they turn it loose? Why did they decide shooting 46 times in a neighborhood surrounded by people was a better alternative? Did they fire all those shots at him and risk the collateral damage from all those shots to save the dog?

There was no threat to those 6 police officers they couldn't have handled between them and the dog. They didn't even try. This looks to me like "The Blue Mob" murdered a mentally ill civillian when they had other alternatives including turning the dog loose.

Fitch
    RichB70 likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I can't watch the video, but it's not like two outfielders running for the same baseball and communicating "I got it!"... each officer has to act on his own to end the threat. We know that a knife-armed person can still kill even after taking a hit, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if an officer would fire a bunch of shots to neutralize the threat. In other words : 46 shots could perfectly well mean that 6 officers individually did exactly what they should have.
    sigmanluke likes this.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

An armed dirtbag with a loooooooong history of crime...but 45 shots?
    Perhaps police were limited on the number of mags that they could carry!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I don't get it.

If they had a dog, why didn't they turn it loose? Why did they decide shooting 46 times in a neighborhood surrounded by people was a better alternative? Did they fire all those shots at him and risk the collateral damage from all those shots to save the dog?

There was no threat to those 6 police officers they couldn't have handled between them and the dog. They didn't even try. This looks to me like "The Blue Mob" murdered a mentally ill civillian when they had other alternatives including turning the dog loose.

Fitch
    I'm not sure on this, but isn't a police dog considered to be an officer (ie: if you injure a police dog it is considered assault or battery on an officer?) If that's so, wouldn't lethal force be justifiable to protect even a police dog?

In any case, no way is an officer (or even a handful of them) obligated or even smart to expose themselves to that kind of risk. Would the cops have won had they gone in bare handed? Sure. Is there a very good possibility that at least one of them might have gotten knifed doing so? Yup. You present a lethal force you get a lethal response.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Some say 46 shots are fair (6-7 shots per officer) but IMO these people need to be able to shut the juice off and not let emotion take over. We see it to many times, people getting beat up (Rodney king, the homeless man in NYC) where justice is served street style. Could this have been handled any different; sure could. What happen did they leave the Tasers home?

If this had been a civilian shooting they all would have been brought up on charges. I am not cop bashing; it is a tough job but we pay for training and equipment to avoid these things. After all they are here to PROTECT and SERVE not execute a man because it is easier

All the good will ever done by the police went out the window in one moment. You are looking at people that don’t trust the police to start with and then this. Don’t ask if “you are innocent then why did you run”…..

VIP Member
    Adios dirtbag.

If someone threatens me with a knife and will not drop it, I'll shoot them. I see no reason to handicap a LEO.

When you have seen the situation through the eyes of the participants then you can judge on what is sufficient and what is excessive. If the suspect was still moving in any way that could be seen as still a threat then additional shots would be in order.

You are looking at seconds of time where the decision of "shoot, don't shoot" is being made hundreds of times.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links