details of a murdered college student tried desperately to fend off attacker

This is a discussion on details of a murdered college student tried desperately to fend off attacker within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hopefully his cell block mates will do what the state won't. If they do, I hope it is a long slow process they use on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: details of a murdered college student tried desperately to fend off attacker

VIP Member
    Hopefully his cell block mates will do what the state won't. If they do, I hope it is a long slow process they use on him.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Both Dennis Rader (BTK) and Gary Ridgeway (Green River Killer) gave full accounts of their murders. Both recounted their murders just like you or I would describe going to the store to pick up groceries or supplies. Once they were done with their confessions they should have been treated the same as their victims, the complete denial of the pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness.
    As I pointed out earlier I do agree with this sentiment in principle.
    However I do not have a murdered child that I can't bury unless the Prosecutor makes a deal with the devil. I am also not the Prosecutor that wants the death penalty applied in this case but has numerous family members of murdered children demanding I make a deal so they can find and bury their children.

Much as I would like to say kill him. I'm not sure I could tell the families we are not going to make the deal to get their loved ones bodies back to them.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    With sex offenders, it is not about sex, but about power & control. That is what these predators want becuse they feel powerless and controled by others and have the insatiable desire to have that for their very own. That is what motivates them to commit crimes such as this.

There is no cure for him and even though he will spend life in prison, the desire for power and control will never diminish. He should be put out of our misery and death is the only "cure" in cases such as this. He is a parasite, a blood sucking leech upon society who will still be taking from us by exsting inside prison for who knows how long.

Not to start a fight about death penalty or not, but this is certainly the poster person for having it done swiftly.
    Yes! I totally agree!

We as a society need to stop thinking of these animals as human, they are NOT! Picture the person who you love the most, and they fearfully perished in pain and agony to horrific to describe.

Picture yourself going to work each and everyday making a living, and knowing as a collective society, you are contributing through taxes, to the welfare of keeping this animal alive as a human being for decades, if not life.

Where is the "justice" for the victims families?

Sorry, I'm cold hearted when it comes to a beautiful human being being extinguished for the pleasure of an animal.
    msgt/ret and JoJoGunn like this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    We as a society need to stop thinking of these animals as human, they are NOT!
    Exactly so.

Public execution was created for just this sort of heinous, inhuman repeat criminal. Deterrent for others, or not, one fact is unavoidable: it'll certainly deter him.
    msgt/ret and JoJoGunn like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Lots of us have been following that story; once upon a time my daughter was a student at the very same college in Lafayette.

I'm really frustrated and sad over this whole situation. I am happy the guy was caught, i think the police did a great job putting it all together. I'm impressed she had the willpower and spunk to fight back. Despite this tragedy maybe it would be noteworthy for others to recognize how vulnerable and exposed you are on a bike, plus bad things happen at the wee hours of the night, and dont let a defensive spray give you a false sense of security.

As far as the Lavergne creep goes..............I can't post my thoughts about him here.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Along the lines of Dennis1209's comments but not including the 8x8 torture chamber.

In my world certain crimes like murder, rape, child sexual abuse, possibly a few others, if meeting the requirement of beyond any doubt would mean execution in 30 days.
    The level of beyond any doubt would have to be defined carefully. I have not thought this out completely but I would think this would have to include witnesses and DNA
    evidence. There certainly would be crimes that we would like to include in this but could not due to the any doubt standard. If we limited these death penalty cases to
    those that meet this standard then I would see no problem with finishing this in 30 days instead of the 10+ years it currently takes. I would think a lot of money could be
    saved as well as the emotional damage to victims and families.

The other part of this is that the victim or their family would have the final say as to if the punishment would be death. In too many cases the government claims the right
    to assign punishment and the victims have no say even though they are the injured/damaged/or suffering persons. Technically this should apply to property crimes as well.
    Why is it that the government sets fines or punishments when the victims should be allowed to collect restitution for their loss first.
    msgt/ret and Dennis1209 like this.

We as a society need to stop thinking of these animals as human, they are NOT!
    Sadly they are human. This is our species. It is what we are capable of. Granted it is barely recognizable to most of us but just because we don't condone doesn't change the biology. Having said that I have no qualms about a one way ride in a helicopter, for him that is.

"And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell." - Matthew 5:30

Let me offer this ..... there are two important things about this story beyond the trategy of her dying, 1) fight with whatever you can, whenever you can, and keep fighting.... she even used deception that she was dead, to come back fighting. 2) I have seen these and much worse things that human beings can do to one another, and this is not as horrific as many of them are ... that you oddly never even see in the news.... it made me a huge supporter of the death penalty. There are psychopaths out there, who will and do what he did, and worse.... and then can sit down and have lunch without ever thinking another thing about it. They are still out there, they will always be out there, and that's what people that want to live with their head in the sand never seem to realize.
    Caertaker and Dennis1209 like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Too bad she didn't get his gun.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Sadly they are human. This is our species. It is what we are capable of. Granted it is barely recognizable to most of us but just because we don't condone doesn't change the biology. Having said that I have no qualms about a one way ride in a helicopter, for him that is.

"And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell." - Matthew 5:30
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I know my view on this is not biblical, but these days the punishment is not fitting the crime.

I'm going to mince words and even use my dictionary to validate my point.

We as a species are technically defined as Homo sapiens. We have opposed thumbs, mostly walk upright, and supposedly have the ability to reason. The ability to reason and discern right from wrong separates us from the animal kingdom. Not withstanding we have a soul.

To be human, you posses human nature, human frailty, empathy, compassion, the ability to reason, an un-learned understanding of right from wrong. Just because it walks like a human, talks like a human, doesn't mean it's human. The physical form and flesh may appear to be of human nature but, human beings don't go around slaughtering people and committing heinous crimes for their benefit and personal deviate pleasure.

That's the way I view it and I'm a sticking to it!

I hope I haven't lost your vote come November 23, 2012 for King of America
    msgt/ret likes this.

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Let me offer this ..... there are two important things about this story beyond the trategy of her dying, 1) fight with whatever you can, whenever you can, and keep fighting.... she even used deception that she was dead, to come back fighting. 2) I have seen these and much worse things that human beings can do to one another, and this is not as horrific as many of them are ... that you oddly never even see in the news.... it made me a huge supporter of the death penalty. There are psychopaths out there, who will and do what he did, and worse.... and then can sit down and have lunch without ever thinking another thing about it. They are still out there, they will always be out there, and that's what people that want to live with their head in the sand never seem to realize.
    You hit the nail on the head! With the exception of refering to them as human beings.

Maybe I'm of base and totally wrong on my view of what a human being consists of? Would someone care to enlighten me as to what separates us as a species from the animal kingdom?

And please don't include I typed this in less than eight hours and a chimpanzee can not do it at all :-)

<the Menace>

When I worked as the supply guy for an Air Force prison, I asked the Psychology folks if they were ever able to rehabilite the sex offenders. ALL of them said that only 10% do not repeat the crime! That's a scary statistic...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Would someone care to enlighten me as to what separates us as a species from the animal kingdom?
    Nothing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    My family back home in south Louisiana (and indeed many, many others) have been following this story since she went missing. She died fighting is the best consolation any could have out of all this.

A plea deal is a punk way out to spare his life, but I can understand (barely) using that to get the details/confession outta him. He, as an animialistic murder, showed NO compassion or quarter for Ms. Mickey. He deserves none.
    Hopefully a guard will accidentally put him in genpop.............
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links