Good - Las Vegas Dairy Queen employee shoots, kills sword-wielding robber - Page 2

Good - Las Vegas Dairy Queen employee shoots, kills sword-wielding robber

This is a discussion on Good - Las Vegas Dairy Queen employee shoots, kills sword-wielding robber within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I hope the DQ employee isn't fired because of this but if they are then maybe some people will send some donations their way till ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Good - Las Vegas Dairy Queen employee shoots, kills sword-wielding robber

I hope the DQ employee isn't fired because of this but if they are then maybe some people will send some donations their way till they can find another job thats not in fast food.
    ep1953 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    The incident is under investigation by Metro’s robbery detail. Lane said he didn't think the employee would face charges.
    I would have don the same thing if I were in that position. The Army escalation of force is the 4 Ss': Shout, Show, Shove, Shoot (there used to be 3 "shoot", but warning shots and shots to wound were removed. We now only shoot to kill.).

Shout: A command to stop and/or to drop the weapon.

Show: Simply, reveal the holstered pistol or rifle held at the low-ready.

Shove: Either physical contact with the perp or, since he has a blade, lawful verbal assault such as "stop or I'll shoot".

And finally, the moment of truth, Shoot: Controlled pair, center mass.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Murray said he is a firearms instructor who lives about a mile north of the Dairy Queen. He pulled aside his tackle vest to reveal a holstered handgun. (Brandishing?)
    Brandishing? Only in states where mere visibility of weaponry is claimed to equate to deliberate threatening and menacing of others. In most rational places, the statutes don't go that far. The operative factor is, generally speaking, deliberate intent to menace or threaten (though the words vary from statute to statute). Merely letting it be known in response to a question that one is capable of seeing to one's own defense isn't menacing, to my way of thinking, not by any standard.

Of course, it depends on the statutes in the community (state) where one lives.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have a set of reproduction Samaurai swords, a 40+ inch Katana and the shorter Wakizashi. Both are very sharp 440 steel and are capable of creating severe injury or death, even in inexperienced hands. I would hope that if someone came at me with a sword, I would have something capable of fending off the attacker.

In this instance, the gun was the tool used to stop the threat and this is exactly what we have been preaching. I'm certain this person did not wake up thinking they would be in a situation like this, but at least they were prepared for the worst.

It is getting very dangerous out there these days, and it's 99% drug related. Even in my "good" neighbourhood, I see it happening all too often and that's why I pack a firearm.

Anytime, anyplace, anywhere.
    ArmyMan and 8th ID like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Who robs a Dairy Queen???? With a sword no less??? Had to be drug related...that stuff will make you stupid.
    Yeah! That's riDQulous.......
    grav and TheConcealer like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    By Cristina Chang (contact), Joe Schoenmann (contact)
    Published Sunday, Aug. 19, 2012 | 2:16 p.m.
    Las Vegas Sun News

An employee at a southeastern valley Dairy Queen today shot a sword-wielding robber, who later died, police said.

The man, who was shot twice, was pronounced dead at Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center, police said.

....."A basic human right is self-defense," said Michael Murray, who was walking out of Albertsons a few hours after the shooting.

Murray said he is a firearms instructor who lives about a mile north of the Dairy Queen. He pulled aside his tackle vest to reveal a holstered handgun. (Brandishing?)

The incident is under investigation by Metro’s robbery detail. Lane said he didn't think the employee would face charges.

Dairy Queen employee shoots, kills sword-wielding robber, police say - Las Vegas Sun News
    Was the employee fired for braking the private property owner's rule against guns?

If so I'd like to know if the employee has a ChipIn set up to cover lost wages for saving everyone's ares, so I can donate.

There is talk that this was a family owned store and that the son who shot the robber was protecting his dad and brother who were also working at the time.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    ""A basic human right is self-defense," said Michael Murray, who was walking out of Albertsons a few hours after the shooting.Murray said he is a firearms instructor who lives about a mile north of the Dairy Queen."
    So what did Murray have to do with this crime? Was the reported soliciting opinions from uninvolved strangers? I thought they always picked the dumbest ones to quote? The reporter fixated in Murray's showing of a weapon,and we can assume it was a revolver because a semi-automatic would have been in the headline.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Don't bring a sword to a gunfight (you just don't get to say that all that often).
    I knew somebody would beat me to it.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Dumb criminal meets gun carrier. Not surprising how it ended.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yet another BG taken down before being able to harm innocent people.

OK,he took a sword to a gunfight. And although he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, the sword was.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Robber brandishing sword, "It's my Blizzard and I want it now!"

Employee raises gun, fires and ends threat...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

I know his feeling, I can't live without my blizzard but he couodnt scrounge up a couple bucks and had to rob the joint. Blizzards need warning labels. HIGHLY addictive stuff. You mean its ice cream WITH candy in it?!?!?!?!;!;
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

My son was a good boy, he only wanted a bananna split, he likes to split his own bananna!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Apparently he had an accomplice that was arrested.

http://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/a...word-yielding/
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links