Police -- acting under a state law that allows emergency, temporary psychiatric com..

This is a discussion on Police -- acting under a state law that allows emergency, temporary psychiatric com.. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am not privy to his FB posts. I will withhold judgement at this time. The problem is that it's a two edged sword with ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Police -- acting under a state law that allows emergency, temporary psychiatric com..

VIP Member
    I am not privy to his FB posts. I will withhold judgement at this time.

The problem is that it's a two edged sword with no clear correct answer. If the guy IS a nutter then it's good that he was locked up. If he isn't then it isn't.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    After reading his Facebook page I did not see any direct threats against anyone. It appears to me an overreaction to have detained him for evaluation. Now had there been an identifiable DIRECT threat such as he was going to XYZ School and kill as many students as possible then by all means lock him up for evaluation.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Are we really serious about this? Veterans are notorious for our anti-gov tirades. When Obama got elected, I had to smack a dude for saying he was getting ready for the "revolution" and all his "boy" comments and "we're not going to stand around and take this". Where was the Secret Service then?! lmao

Sounds a lot like the reeducation camps of the USSR and China. Did he ever see a judge? Do process?

Sent via Mental Power

Sounds like a routine 3-day psych hold. His family probably initiated it. Been thru this stuff with one of my siblings more than once. CO's probably similar to OH. This ain't the old Soviet Union where the KGB locked up dissidents and drugged them. There's strict legal procedures for probating someone for psych issues.

My heart goes out to the family, they're in for a bumpy road. Doesn't help it's made it to the news-of-the-weird. You're not going to get the whole story reading about it on the internet.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Well, if he didn't have anyone specific to direct his anger at as the info we have now suggests, he does now...
    mlr1m likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    After reading his Facebook page I did not see any direct threats against anyone. It appears to me an overreaction to have detained him for evaluation. Now had there been an identifiable DIRECT threat such as he was going to XYZ School and kill as many students as possible then by all means lock him up for evaluation.
    This is the problem. The Supreme Court allows a person to be detained when there is a direct threat to a person or object. This is just another case of some government agency testing how far they can expand the law before being reigned back in.

Michael

Its not like the cops hauled the guy off to the rubber room based on a whim. According to the FBI there were "quite a few complaints". The signature of a magistrate was required on the committment order.

Military Vet Detained For Psych Evaluation Over Anti-Government Facebook Posts CBS DC

Dee Rybiski, an FBI spokeswoman in Richmond, said there was no Facebook snooping by her agency.

“We received quite a few complaints about what were perceived as threatening posts,” she said. “Given the circumstances with the things that have gone on in the country with some of these mass shootings, it would be horrible for law enforcement not to pay attention to complaints.”

.................................................. .................................................. .........................................

Col. Thierry Dupuis, the county police chief, said Raub was taken into custody upon the recommendation of mental health crisis intervention workers. He said the action was taken in accordance with the state’s emergency custody statute, which allows a magistrate to order the civil detention and psychiatric evaluation of a person deemed to be potentially dangerous. He said Raub was handcuffed because he resisted officers’ attempts to take him into custody.
    We have recently had some murderous attacks on law abiding citizens by wackos. There is a message here. Do not act like a wacko on the web.

This guy was a so called 911 "truther". What is a 911 "truther".

I think it continues to show Homeland's continued paranoia about military vets ......... but, there have been no vets out committing any mass shootings.... it's typically the nerdy bit psycho loner college or younger males who are. Examples : Aurora, Virg Tech, Gifford shooting, Columbine, etc.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    FBI, Secret Service agents and police in Virginia's Chesterfield County questioned him Thursday evening about what they said were ominous posts talking about a coming revolution. In one message earlier this month according to authorities, Raub wrote: "Sharpen my axe; I'm here to sever heads."
    I have no idea what all the things he wrote "out there," nor who has seen it. If nothing else, it should be a good cautionary example for anyone thinking threatening speech (or speech others find threatening) is just meaningless words, utterly protected by the 1A, immune from action. (Think MWAG calls.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

... but, there have been no vets out committing any mass shootings
    Does the massacre of those Sikhs in their temple by a former Army white supremacist band member count?

Nothing new....the feds can do the same thing without any warrant....and believe you me......dept of homeland security has even more power. Next time you want to feel threatened in any way....just remember......the establishment holds all the cards....whereas the common thief is few and far between. You decide what threatens your way of life the most.....and close the doors on your vulnerabilities. Of course you're wanting to live....but have you prepared yourself for death? Reality sucks in so many ways. It's not just talk.....not just promises, or ideal thinking..........it's reality fixing to come get ya. If you're willing to be taken alive.....................you don't know me and we've never had this conversation.

but, there have been no vets out committing any mass shootings
    Does the massacre of those Sikhs in their temple by a former Army white supremacist band member count?
    Or, the Fort Hood massacre ("veteran" at least in terms of training, if not a 'previously-served' status).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    This guy was a so called 911 "truther". What is a 911 "truther".
    I think they believe that the US government was complicit to, or directly involved in the 9/11 attacks.
    Walk softly ...

Well, wether this guy threatened anyone directly or not, we will find out. But I just started a thread about someone who apparently did, and he decided to threaten the wrong person: Federal Way man threatened Pres. Obama
    Walk softly ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links