Police -- acting under a state law that allows emergency, temporary psychiatric com..

Police -- acting under a state law that allows emergency, temporary psychiatric com..

This is a discussion on Police -- acting under a state law that allows emergency, temporary psychiatric com.. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Outcry after military veteran detained for anti-government Facebook posts Read more: Outcry after military veteran detained for anti-government Facebook posts | Fox News Is this ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Police -- acting under a state law that allows emergency, temporary psychiatric com..

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

Outcry after military veteran detained for anti-government Facebook posts

Read more: Outcry after military veteran detained for anti-government Facebook posts | Fox News

Is this a first ammendment issue or an overreach?

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

That is one SCARY law in Virginia.

You said some stuff we don't like. Give us a month of your life.

It's more than a first amendment issue. The guy appears at face value to be a nutter and the things he stated on his facebook pages are nothing short of a threat to inflict serious bodily harm and/or death and DOES need to be investigated.

That said, the case proves to be SCARY to say the least. It seems now, it is "legal" for police to ARREST YOU(ie detain you by force, cuff you, stuff you in their car), take you to what they call a "mental health facility" to be held indefinitely without charge or proof of crime, until a Judge decides that you've stayed long enough. And at the end of the tunnel the police can claim they never arrested you because they didn't read you your rights or charge you with a crime? WHAT THE ?
    Va. Veteran Detained After Strident Facebook Posts - ABC News

edit: just a thought after I already replied to the thread, but this should probably be in the "Off Topic" section as it really isn't directly Second Amendment related...oops.
    Sig 210 likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    It's more than a first amendment issue. The guy appears at face value to be a nutter and the things he stated on his facebook pages are nothing short of a threat to inflict serious bodily harm and/or death and DOES need to be investigated.
    Are you the thought police or something?
    Crowman likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Moved to "In the News"

I don't know what he posted, it could have been credible threats to politicans, his neighbors etc...
    The government can detain you with out charge or trial that's part of the Patriot Act it's suppose to be for "Really Bad Terrorists" but who decides who's a terrorist?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I remember when George W. Bush was the decider. But I guess that was at the federal level. The governor maybe?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I remember when George W. Bush was the decider. But I guess that was at the federal level. The governor maybe?
    Hmmmmm.
    Brandon J. Raub, 26, has been in custody since FBI, Secret Service agents and police in Virginia's Chesterfield County questioned him Thursday evening about what they said were ominous posts talking about a coming revolution.
    FBI and Secret Service sounds federal level to me.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Moved to "In the News"

I don't know what he posted, it could have been credible threats to politicans, his neighbors etc...
    The government can detain you with out charge or trial that's part of the Patriot Act it's suppose to be for "Really Bad Terrorists" but who decided who's a terrorist?
    He made a general statement. He did not make a threat against a specific individual or organization as is normally required for the government to act on.
    In one message earlier this month according to authorities, Raub wrote: "Sharpen my axe; I'm here to sever heads."
    I have seen much worse on here so you folks might want to put your tin foil hats on.

He was actually much more reserved in what he said that others I have read about.
    Would the government arrest a person who said that he would prefer death as opposed to living under tyranny? A person who demands that he have either liberty or death?

What if someone said something like this?
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.
    Sounds pretty threatening to me.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    :SNIP:
    Is this a first ammendment issue or an overreach?
    This is both a first amendment issue and a huge overreach on the part of the Government to control speech.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    So lets take it to the next step: Based on the events in the past month, i.e., Colo and the Wi shootings, should the LEO be monitoring the web to prevent these type of shootings?

And some wonder why I don't have a FaceBook page!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Hmmmmm.

FBI and Secret Service sounds federal level to me.

Michael
    But it was generic "police" acting on a state law. I think the feds were just there for the free coffee.

Not to mention that his gun rights just went down the tubes, because he has been committed, so, as i understand it, he can never own a gun again.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    So lets take it to the next step: Based on the events in the past month, i.e., Colo and the Wi shootings, should the LEO be monitoring the web to prevent these type of shootings?

And some wonder why I don't have a FaceBook page!
    They already are... google "fusion centers." This isn't tinfoil hat stuff, its on the DHS' own website.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Not to mention that his gun rights just went down the tubes, because he has been committed, so, as i understand it, he can never own a gun again.
    Not necessarily. From what I read he was just taken in for an involuntary evaluation. That is not exactly equal to a commitment. If the doc says he is OK and cuts him loose it should not negatively impact his rights. Worst case I think he might get a delayed status on purchases until they get the paperwork straight.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

There are some exceptions to the 1st amendment. One of these limitations is 'speech that 'incites imminent lawless action' which is what it appears he was doing.

With the other nuts that have recently acted out you can bet they will be looking for any signs of insanity.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links