Bad: Call 911 and then get shot by police - Page 2

Bad: Call 911 and then get shot by police

This is a discussion on Bad: Call 911 and then get shot by police within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sounds like "Deputy Barney" loaded his one bullet from his shirt pocket without permission. Sad and scarey....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Bad: Call 911 and then get shot by police

  1. #16
    Member Array KimBobTex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    466
    Sounds like "Deputy Barney" loaded his one bullet from his shirt pocket without permission. Sad and scarey.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

    Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!


  2. #17
    Member Array tricolordad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Richmond, Wisconsin
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    That'll teach her.
    Literally just inhaled a few M&Ms bahaha
    Really though, i hope that cop gets charged. Thats just stupid.

  3. #18
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    There are alot of commits going through my head. Best to keep them to myslf.
    Unfortunately, so do I .... I'm biting my lip.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

  4. #19
    Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    So. Central PA
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Dressing up as a deer in deer season can be dangerous. When awaiting the inbound cavalry, it's easy to be mistaken for a likely-armed, unknown person on your property if you do everything to appear as a likely-armed, unknown person on that property.

    Seems simple to me, but I'd think it's far better to either (a) stay inside until they've arrived and made contact, or (b) stay on the phone with dispatch until they've arrived and made contact. Either that, or don't call them while you head out to "clear" your own property, as is typical with folks in the boondocks on their own farms/ranches.

    As for being shot, I wonder what the actual perceived threat was, or whether the mere appearance of another person was the trigger.
    There is no way that woman's getting shot was in any way her fault. A civillian hears a noise in her back yard and goes out to investigate. That's a perfectly normal reaction. She's empty handed, not making threatening gestures. Her only 'crime' is she is standing in her own backyard where she has every right to be.

    Deputy gives no warning, has no light to shine on her, and just shoots her. Doesn't do much to build confidence in the police. That is the tip of the iceburg folks. It's why that officer was on the street and so poorly trained or lacking in courage that is the real question.

    It's inexcusable. I agree with those that say this deputy needs to be fired. But in addition to that, there needs to be a review of those responsible for putting this loose cannon on the street to see what can be done to reduces the chances of it happening again.

    Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

  5. #20
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,686
    In all likelihood, if this story reflects reality, then the deputy needs to be encouraged to seek employment elsewhere.

    I'm not saying that the women didn't have the right to do what she did. However, I am saying what she did was stupid.

    I'd rather be successful than right.

    If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
    mcp1810 likes this.
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  6. #21
    Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    So. Central PA
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    In all likelihood, if this story reflects reality, then the deputy needs to be encouraged to seek employment elsewhere.

    I'm not saying that the women didn't have the right to do what she did. However, I am saying what she did was stupid.

    I'd rather be successful than right.

    If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
    With all due respect, I can't see calling a trip to your own back yard stupid. It just isn't.

    Unfortunately, the police, sworn to 'protect and serve', have to deal with a public that acts for the most part pretty much like the public. The public aren't ex-CIA agents, don't go to TFT three times a week, haven't read all the books in the library on staying alive after calling 911. They are normal citizens. Doing perfectly normal things. That's the public the police are supposed to be serving.

    When acting perfectly normal is 'stupid', when acting normal in your own back yard gets you shot, something is seriously wrong with the system behind the sorry specimen with his finger on the trigger.

    Gives a whole new meaning to "Call 911 and die."

    Fitch
    bigdogtx likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

  7. #22
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,686
    It all depends on the context, Fitch.

    Me walking into my backyard tonight to turn on the grill and getting shot? That's one thing.

    Calling the police and knowing they are investigating around my house, looking for a prowler and wandering out into my back yard without notifying dispatch? 'Just not a good idea.

    Again, I'm not defending the LEO here. 'Just acknowledging that the world is full of idiots and it's our job to survive it.

    'Sort of like looking both ways before proceeding to drive through a green light. I mean, yes you have the right of way, but I still don't want to be plowed over by some moron, just because I wanted to exercise my right-of-way.
    mcp1810, ccw9mm and Brad426 like this.
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  8. #23
    Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    So. Central PA
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    It all depends on the context, Fitch.

    Me walking into my backyard tonight to turn on the grill and getting shot? That's one thing.

    Calling the police and knowing they are investigating around my house, looking for a prowler and wandering out into my back yard without notifying dispatch? 'Just not a good idea.

    Again, I'm not defending the LEO here. Just acknowledging that the world is full of idiots and it's our job to survive it.
    I can certainly agree with your last sentence. Surviving the idiots and the people trying to save us turns out to be a real challange.

    I have to agree, the evidence supports your proposition that it wasn't a good idea to go out there, but I can also see where she was coming from. She'd already called once, probably didn't want to call again, had some pretty good training earlier in her life, so, knowing the cops were close by to respond, she took a look. Might be questionable from some points of view, but 'stupid' is probably too strong a term. It was definitely a mistake, especially given the abysmal state of deputy training if this one is an example of what's loose on the street with a license to shoot. But, that said, it also was not outside the expected behavior norms for the public they are supposed to protect. They need to give their training and policies some serious review.

    And someone ought to find out if the police are telling the truth about where she was shot or not. If they aren't intentionally lying, it gets even worse because it says either they don't care enough, don't consider it serious enough, to get the facts straight, which doesn't bode well for them taking effective action to reduce the chances of this happening again. If they are lying, they should be charged with obstruction of justice and jailed.

    Fitch
    WHEC724 likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

  9. #24
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Posts
    17,331
    California--right?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  10. #25
    VIP Member Array Brad426's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,173
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    It all depends on the context, Fitch.

    Me walking into my backyard tonight to turn on the grill and getting shot? That's one thing.

    Calling the police and knowing they are investigating around my house, looking for a prowler and wandering out into my back yard without notifying dispatch? 'Just not a good idea.

    Again, I'm not defending the LEO here. 'Just acknowledging that the world is full of idiots and it's our job to survive it.

    'Sort of like looking both ways before proceeding to drive through a green light. I mean, yes you have the right of way, but I still don't want to be plowed over by some moron, just because I wanted to exercise my right-of-way.
    Good analogy.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

  11. #26
    sgb
    sgb is offline
    VIP Member Array sgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    2,414
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

  12. #27
    Member Array randian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    If they aren't intentionally lying, it gets even worse because it says either they don't care enough, don't consider it serious enough, to get the facts straight, which doesn't bode well for them taking effective action to reduce the chances of this happening again.
    Cops obey incentives, just like everybody else. What would you say was the likelihood of any action being taken against the officer, any action at all? My bet is "about zero". So what's their incentive to do anything to prevent this from happening again?

  13. #28
    Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    nc mountains
    Posts
    1,474
    Even if this jacks rear of a cop had shot the BG it would have been a bad shooting. Nothing in there hand ,simple NO weapon. But to shoot a woman with no warning. This department is going to spend a monsterous amount of funds to this lady before this is done. To many morons wearing badges any more. Yea this leo my have a collage degree but thas have no common sence. Hope she makes it thru this with no physical limits. Shame. This is happening to often anymore.

  14. #29
    VIP Member
    Array Echo_Four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Land of the mostly free
    Posts
    2,839
    I am not going to comment on the how or why, none of us know. We weren't there and the information isn't being made available to us. I can't resist making a comment about those that think what the home owner did was anything less than stupid.

    Yes, it is her yard and she has every right to be there. However she just called the police because there was an unknown person in her yard. That means two things to me. One, she was scared of something in the yard. Why would you go into an unknown possibly dangerous situation unarmed? Stupid. Two, she knew armed men were responding to look for someone in the yard that shouldn't be there, and she went out there. She was asking to be mistaken for the prowler. No, she shouldn't have been shot. But she should have been looking forward to being proned out at gun point and restrained while things were worked out- stupid.

    You shouldn't get shot for being stupid. But pretending she isn't stupid doesn't do anything to help the situation or make the idiot that shot her any more of an idiot... supposing of course that we know the whole story and there wasn't some reason the trigger was pulled.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

  15. #30
    Member Array tuksonrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I am not going to comment on the how or why, none of us know. We weren't there and the information isn't being made available to us. I can't resist making a comment about those that think what the home owner did was anything less than stupid.

    Yes, it is her yard and she has every right to be there. However she just called the police because there was an unknown person in her yard. That means two things to me. One, she was scared of something in the yard. Why would you go into an unknown possibly dangerous situation unarmed? Stupid. Two, she knew armed men were responding to look for someone in the yard that shouldn't be there, and she went out there. She was asking to be mistaken for the prowler. No, she shouldn't have been shot. But she should have been looking forward to being proned out at gun point and restrained while things were worked out- stupid.

    You shouldn't get shot for being stupid. But pretending she isn't stupid doesn't do anything to help the situation or make the idiot that shot her any more of an idiot... supposing of course that we know the whole story and there wasn't some reason the trigger was pulled.
    Actually, if you re-read the story, the person shot did NOT call the police. Someone else called saying there was a suspicious man wearing a skimask in the neighborhood, and that he was heading eastbound. THe cops went 1-2 blocks AWAY and saw an open gate. They entered the gate making noises. The homeowner went outside to investigate the noises and was shot by the police AFTER she claimed she was the homeowner.

    Deputies arrived and determined the man had left the area, walking away in an eastbound direction, Nesbit said in a statement.
    While checking for the man one to two blocks away from Leigh Avenue, deputies entered the backyard of a residence in the 200 block of Via Tapia, Nesbit said.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

911 bad calls
,
and then call shot
,

call 911 ive been shot by a mexican burrito

,
jennifer orey
,

jennifer orey police

,
jennifer orey shot
,
orey shooting in san diego
,
san diego police orey
Click on a term to search for related topics.